Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  07:33:17  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He won't be Mike! Lizzy B and I saw him in August and are seeing him again on Saturday in Birmingham. : ) indeed.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  22:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tina

He won't be Mike! Lizzy B and I saw him in August and are seeing him again on Saturday in Birmingham. : ) indeed.

Cohen is the ultimate professional & demands the same from his backup band & singers.
You can always count on Leonard giving his all. Unlike Dylan, where one is never sure which Dylan will show-up....the Dylan that cares or the Dylan that just goes thru the motions.

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  03:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah wuz jus' bein' droll : ) Can't wait for my first and last chance to doff an invisible hat to The Model Performer... PS, I said 'last', but there is now very reliable talk of a return visit to Europe, and hopefully UK, late in '09.. but I'll believe it when it happens.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2008 :  14:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul Weller @ Trent F.m.Arena Nottingham last Saturday,a fine gig indeed! Jam songs, Style Council,oldies and newies and a well "up for it" crowd. I hadnt seen the man since the 80,s and was really impressed,and will be going to see him again next March at o2 arena with The Coral as support. Great stuff!!
HAPPY DAZE
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  16:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in Edinburgh last week - Fantastic show, possibly the best I've seen this year. Read review here - http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestnews/Nick-Cave-review-Hypnotised-crowd.4737157.jp
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  02:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leonard Cohen's final UK gig (?). Everything that I hoped for. Having to spend the night on a freezing Piccadilly station afterwards due to a train cancelation was a price willingly paid for watching genius at work for three hours from twenty feet away. I have found over 40 years of gig-going that last tour dates often inspire artists to perform with greater abandon, and this was certainly the case on Sunday, with stellar performances from everyone on stage that transformed a 13500 capacity arena into an intimate venue, with LC repeatedly skipping across the stage like somebody seventy years younger - but everything he sang he nailed perfectly. If he's gone.. well, he went out on a high. Anyone who gets to see him on his few dates in US, Canada, NZ and Oz in '09 should, like me, count themselves privileged.
PS, re the above dates. Those who join the Leonard Cohen Forum have the chance to apply for the best seats. www.leonardcohenforum.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2008 :  20:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last night
genre bending at its best

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KmBaE7ozWow

and then there was Anarchy in the UK and
Born to be Wild.

PS Leonard Cohen at Big Chill was number 2 in Guardian's live gigs list this year. We wuz there.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  21:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pretty Things were in blisteringly good form last night at the 100 Club. Heard "Alexander" for the first time live......superb!!! The band announced that the 100 Club is under threat from developers. It can't be allowed to happen, that place has such a history, it would be criminal if it has to close! There may be some kind of campaign to keep it going.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Alexander", The Pretty Things....A taste of last Friday at the 100 Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_5ItXM9Vc

Edited by - Old_Man on 04/02/2009 21:02:31
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  21:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

"Alexander", The Pretty Things....A taste of last Friday at the 100 Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E_5ItXM9Vc

Nice, ol' man. Still enjoying Pretties/Philippe DeBarge LP. I ordered The Misunderstood LP from Ugly Things too. I guess they were pretty popular when they came over to the UK in something like '66. An early psych band that pioneered the psychedelic Light show by hooking car headlights up to their amps so that they flashed with each player's individual note. It blew the audience's minds and they were working on a big light show/performance debut in the UK when a key member was drafted ..... and that was it for the band; back to US and oblivion. SO many bands that influenced fellow musicians & peers, but never were able to break thru with that big hit. But it's great for us with all these reissues to finally discover them for the first time!!

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2009 :  15:40:31  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I went to see Beth Jeans Houghton - good, great voice, there are a lot of songs I'd love to hear her sing. Some of the recorded bits were a bit odd tho.

but was pretty much blown away by Balao. Excellent blends of sounds - they have a flamenco guy and a trumpet.. there were some wee echoes of bits from FC. That's not to mention a percussion ace and one of those great guitar guys who can sound like both renbourn and jansch.

I'm trying very hard not to listen to the football that's playing on the radio.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  18:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Stackridge the night before last in The Globe, a nice new venue in cardiff. Superb, if short, show (only one 90 mins as opposed to the 2x60 mins shows they've done in the past), where they previewed some songs from the new album, due out in July. Shameful turn out though - only 53 through the door. No-one seems to even know about thsi place yet - I can't help recommend the venue to anyone in the South West or South Wales. They also have Johnny Winter coming up and The Strawbs, who have Oliver Wakeman on keyboards - seems he's now replaced his old man in two bands.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2009 :  18:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Saw Stackridge the night before last in The Globe, a nice new venue in cardiff. Superb, if short, show (only one 90 mins as opposed to the 2x60 mins shows they've done in the past), where they previewed some songs from the new album, due out in July. Shameful turn out though - only 53 through the door. No-one seems to even know about thsi place yet - I can't help recommend the venue to anyone in the South West or South Wales. They also have Johnny Winter coming up and The Strawbs, who have Oliver Wakeman on keyboards - seems he's now replaced his old man in two bands.

Dukie must be showing up........

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  12:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went to see the Timo Gross Band last night (from Germany). 2nd time seeing them, gets better and better!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2009 :  01:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw the Strawbs tonight - fantastic show, backed up by the way the audience wouldn't let them off the hook with only one unbelievable encore. (Won't say what it was in case someone i slucky enough to be catching them soon!)

Only two further words to say:

OLIVER WAKEMAN!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page