Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  21:21:19  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kula Shaker on Monday night........fantastic!! I'm biassed of course but Crispian Mills is a guitar legend, if you don't believe me try and catch them live, well worth the money.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Martin Pravda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  01:15:45  Show Profile  Visit Martin Pravda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey John, saw them in October and thought they were stunning. Do they still come on with the film "If..." playing in the background? Was a brilliant way to come on. But yeah I think the new stuff is great, they don't seem like a band from the past at all - it was like seeing a band at their artistic height (which however good the new album is, they obviously arn't as good as K). Definetly want to see them again soon.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  22:58:03  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Pravda

Hey John, saw them in October and thought they were stunning. Do they still come on with the film "If..." playing in the background? Was a brilliant way to come on. But yeah I think the new stuff is great, they don't seem like a band from the past at all - it was like seeing a band at their artistic height (which however good the new album is, they obviously arn't as good as K). Definetly want to see them again soon.

They didn't come on with the film 'If' this time. I think the new album sounds a lot more mature than their earlier stuff, as you'd expect as it's 12 years since K was released. I've always been a bigger fan of 'Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts' than K though. Definitely worth seeing again though Martin if you get chance.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  00:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I concur with Kula John - saw them last Tuesday and they are still one of the best bands of the last 30-odd years! Roll on the next album and tour!!
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2008 :  18:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil Young on Wednesday, Row E at the Hammersmith, acoustic set 8.35 to 9.40 including Ambulance Blues and an acoustic Cowgirl in the Sand, electric set 10.00 to 11.45! Awesome gig.

Zombies Friday Row B, all 4 surviving original members, including three Colin Bluntstone numbers with a string quintet and Odyssey and Oracle played straight through for the first time, 40 years since its release. Best live music week I can remember.

Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  00:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to a Celtic Fair yesterday and saw Tempest, Wicked Tinkers, and Black 47. I didn't get to stay for the evening show, but Tempest and Wicked Tinkers jammed together followed by Black 47 again. Crazy fun dancing music, to be sure! I made a slide show about the fair, so I'll put the link here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZugkkF-Cho
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  23:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandmothers of Invention at The Point in Cardiff, South Wales last Tuesday 4/03/08.. Great show played with great musicianship and humour!! (Oh, and Don Preston is 75!!) I hope I can get to see them again sometime.. Napoleon Murphy Brock, Roy Estrada and the rest of the band seemed to be having a great time playing some wonderful music.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  01:43:34  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich Hall (comedian) on Sunday 2nd March (very funny), Supergrass next Friday (taking partner's son) and Marc Almond, Tindersticks and Nick Cave (3 different gigs not all at once) in May. Looking good
Go to Top of Page

jellybean
Fifth Love

316 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2008 :  17:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil Young for me at manchester apollo on Tuesday, the electric set blew my socks off! started with mr soul..marvellous.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2008 :  02:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil Young at Manchester Apollo, Wednesday. Been going to gigs since '70, and this was the best I've ever seen. Unbelievably good. Unheard of four song encore, him chatting away, even repeatedly clapping the audience. Ambulance Blues... as for the electric set, never heard such an overpowering slab of guitar playing. And it was being recorded and filmed. Missed last train ...didn't care. He's playing Hop Farm Country Park near Tonbridge, Kent on July 6th. with Crazy Horse. GO GO GO
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  03:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOW - Leeds City Varieties (lovely venue!)
Neil was going to be an extraordinarily hard act to follow, and I'm amazed to say Low managed it. A fantastic gig from truly wonderful band who reward patient listening. To the uninitiated who can handle adventurous modern music like Portishead, Radiohead, Talk Talk, Elbow and Wilco and who love Neil Young's 'drop D' electric guitar playing and who also love beautiful female harmony vocals: dive in. You won't regret it. The above superlatives are justified.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  11:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw Gogol Bordello a couple of weeks back in Bristol. They were well worth it. Entertaining from the word go. Seeing them again this week in Oxford, can't wait.

Go to Top of Page

undergroundbasement
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  22:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pokerface, at the freedom rally in Washington, D.C. April 15 played a short set but it was pretty impressive. They performed on the Capitol building lawn after a brief speech by presidential candidate Ron Paul.
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  20:27:09  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
recently (in the last month) I have seen The Sonics , Kris Kristofferson and Steeleye Span, coming up, Eliza Carthy, Dead Kennedys, The Yardbirds and The Zombies, Steve Earle, Pentangle, Blondie, X-Ray Spex , Baby Lemonade and Motorhead ...

Paris Journal at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  00:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric Andersen last night in Chippenham. 2 hours of an amazing songwriter playing to less than 40 people - criminal!! Not only does he write great songs, recorded by some of the best in the business, but he's also a really nice bloke!

For the Brits on here, he's got 3 more English dates, before heading to Scotland for 8 dates and Ireland for gigs either side of the border, on what is effectively his first proper UK tour in a 40+ year career.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page