Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  16:50:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timo Gross Band last night in Aberdeen. Blues band from Germany. Timo's a great guitarist.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  16:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in Glasgow last week. Fantastic show!
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2008 :  16:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ALABAMA 3 in Aylesbury last month + THE LEGENDARY SHACK SHAKERS in London (the Borderline)5th May. Both good livley rock n roll gigs
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2008 :  02:40:42  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw Seth Lakeman on Sunday at The Sage and it got me thinking aout genres. A lot of his stuff was very like Robert Plant (in a good way, of course). But... he is Folk and RP is Rock, by genre.
I thought I had it - it's all in the subject matter. If you sing about sailors you're folk. But then there's RP's Song for the Siren...

Mind, it's not as bad as what is R&B? which is certainly different from prior definitions - a bit of a shape shifter I think.

Oh well, as usual, in the eye of the behearer, or something

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  18:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pretty Things gig at the 100 Club in London on June 6th was turned into a wake for Bo Diddley. They were heavily influenced by Bo in their early days, and their name is taken from Bo's song "Pretty Thing", and is featured on their first album as well as two or three other Bo numbers. So quite a few of Bo's songs were performed on Friday night. The gig itself was brilliant with superb support from The Flying Padovanis, what a night!
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  16:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sal Valentino, free concert in the park, Sacramento. He was really great. Has an excellently tuned voice - like those Martin guitars, you know the older they get the better they sound. He did Laugh, Laugh, as well as a couple of other Beau Brummels' hits. It was really fun. I got pics of Veronica sitting on his knee (She used to have his picture up on her wall back in the day, and was beside herself with glee.) Sal's new CD is titled Every Now and Then. Laugh, Laugh is included in a fine version, as well as some really good stuff. I recommend it. :)

Edited by - LeeRob on 12/06/2008 16:49:46
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2008 :  18:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

The Pretty Things gig at the 100 Club in London on June 6th was turned into a wake for Bo Diddley. They were heavily influenced by Bo in their early days, and their name is taken from Bo's song "Pretty Thing", and is featured on their first album as well as two or three other Bo numbers. So quite a few of Bo's songs were performed on Friday night. The gig itself was brilliant with superb support from The Flying Padovanis, what a night!

hey Old_Man,

I just got Silk Torpedo (on vinyl) by post (also, the out-of-print double CD of SF Sorrow & Parachute...I have the vinyl on Rare Earth). What a BAND!! Pretty Things' at the top for me!!
They are about as obscure as LoVE for most of the folks I run into........don't know what they
are missing!

Via con Dios, Bo Diddley!

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/06/2008 18:28:52
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  17:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a clip of The Pretties at the 100 Club gig in June - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x30lsVecaSw
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2008 :  20:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

Here's a clip of The Pretties at the 100 Club gig in June - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x30lsVecaSw

nice........

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  13:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gong last night in The Forum, London.

Here's what I said about it on the Gong board - pretty much echoed by the few who have posted there so far:

What can I say? The night started well with being able to park less than 200 yards from the venue and then, as we were queuing, Mike Howlett came out for a sly ciggy at the back door about 10 yards away! Needless to say, he signed a lot of tickets and chatted freely to everyone. Moving inside, Slackbaba's Dj set wasn't really my thing, but the huge screen looked fantastic. As for the main event, it trully was a great gig, played with renewed freshness and a lot of hilari-ty by our favourite denizens of the Planet Gong. All members were on top form and the setlist covered most of the bases and gave a few surprises, including ' Wise Man In Your Heart' and a new song, 'Digital Girl', which Messrs Allen & Hillage wrote "last Thursday". Probably the best light show I have ever seen too, which spookily broke down in an unexpected, but very well received, 'Light In the Sky' just about at the "there's a blip, Frank" bit. Indeed, Steve's guitar really seemed to lift the band to the lofty heights of yore, even if at times, he did look a tad relieved to have got to the end of some of the longer solos - relief which quickly turned to obvious surprise and delight at the rapturous applause he got.

Here's hoping they do this again soon, and judging by the way the band and especially Steve was grinning most of the night - he didn't seem to want to leave the stage at the end of the main set - who knows what the future holds?
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  19:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Probably the best light show I have ever seen too"

I remember seeing Gong back in the late 70's I think, David Allen had just left the band at that time. From what I can remember the light show consisted of just a red laser light "dot" that bounced around the back of the stage etc, to the music, with no other lighting. Was pretty cool.
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  03:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Bear and I paid the big bucks to see Tom Petty. We saw him about 15 years ago, paid about 1/10 as much, and he was great. Now, not so much. More show, less musicianship. Oh well...

The high point of the concert was actually when Steve Winwood, the opening act, did "Dear Mr. Fantasy." Now, THAT'S entertainment!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  06:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

Mrs. Bear and I paid the big bucks to see Tom Petty. We saw him about 15 years ago, paid about 1/10 as much, and he was great. Now, not so much. More show, less musicianship. Oh well...

The high point of the concert was actually when Steve Winwood, the opening act, did "Dear Mr. Fantasy." Now, THAT'S entertainment!

Geeze, ed, I would have gone to see Steve W. as the headliner & no Tom Petty! He's the best. Did Steve get
much time for his opening act? Don't get me wrong, I like Petty, but Steve embodies everything 60's psych
for me, from Spencer Davis to Traffic to Blind Faith!! And from what I've seen over the years, he's never lost it.

Go to Top of Page

jim
Third Love

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2008 :  14:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi to all, i went to the IOW festival recently, very good, the Stooges were amazing & Starsailor.off to the Hop Farm festival in a few weeks time.

regards jim.
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2008 :  04:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LK,
Steve got about an hour. We had to leave early because Mrs. Bear wasn't feeling well -- stuff like that happens when you have to order tickets months in advance -- but thanks to Mr. Winwood we didn't feel bad at all. He ended with a long rave-up on "Gimme Some Lovin'" So glad we made it...

He got to play loud, too. Some big name acts won't let the openers play as loud, but Petty's still a generous guy.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page