Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2007 :  20:29:06  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hot Hot Heat - very energetic and lively. When we ware in San Francisco in the summer, we discovered that an old friend who lives there is the step-father of their lead guitarist Luke Paquin, so the least we could do was go and see them when they were playing in Nottingham.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2007 :  22:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tina

Hot Hot Heat - very energetic and lively. When we ware in San Francisco in the summer, we discovered that an old friend who lives there is the step-father of their lead guitarist Luke Paquin, so the least we could do was go and see them when they were playing in Nottingham.

I saw HHH a few years ago in Nottingham and they were great, really cool gig and they were supported that night by Franz Ferdinand so it was a good night all round!

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2007 :  01:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Peter Rowan on Thursday in a tiny club in Bristol. Guy can certainly play and he seems a nice guy - even if he wouldn't let me tape!! Bought his latest release, Crucial Country, a live recording of a Telluride Festival gig - highly recommended.

Edited by - boombox on 19/11/2007 01:06:14
Go to Top of Page

Martin Pravda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2007 :  15:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Martin Pravda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maps - Fantastic, very My Bloody Valentine sounding with beautiful melodies and build ups. A must see.

British Sea Power - Amazing as usual, best british band at this moment in time.

The National - New York's finest, this could well be one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Interpol/charmeleons/arcade fire musically with Bruce Springsteen type of singing. It worked SO well.

Mono - Cool Japanese post rock

The Cardiacs - Obscure british post punk. Very good!
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  07:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I made my pilgrimage to London and saw The Pretty Things at Eel Pie Club, Twickenham. What a night! The Pretties kicked out the jams.
I will post a set list that a friend of mine did later. It was a nice, smallish hall with a casual feeling. I got to meet Phil May and Dick Taylor. Both are the warmest, most down to earth guys you could ask for. I met friends from the Revenge of the Electric Banana (Pretty Things messageboard), and they got me autographs and a poster.On the bill were a very young blues duo called The Malchicks and The Amazing World of Arthur Brown. Both excellent, and Arthur Brown is always a lot of fun. What a voice he has, too! He did a couple of songs with Phil May and both singers hold back nothing. What a joy that was. They are coming to tour the states in '08, so I will be going to that one, the G.L. willing. Here's a youtube clip someone just posted of that show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKl0L0YaHWE

Edited by - barbinberkeley on 09/12/2007 23:54:02
Go to Top of Page

Alone Again
Fourth Love

Ireland
188 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  10:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barbinberkeley

...The Amazing World of Arthur Brown. Both excellent, and Arthur Brown is always a lot of fun. What a voice he has, too! ...

Saw Arthur Brown a few years ago at Guildfest, Arthur Lee played aswell, Brown was amazing all he had with him was an acoustic guitarist & a violinist and they did a fantastic job, brilliant.he even did a stage dive during Fire, a very funny man.I'd go see Arthur Brown again in a heartbeat.
Good to hear the Pretty Things are still kickin ass,did ya see the article bout them in Mojo?

Edited by - Alone Again on 04/12/2007 10:51:32
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  23:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Mojo article on the Pretty Things was a very poor piece of "journalism". Seems as though no research was done at all into what the band are up to currently, including the new album Balboa Island!
Go to Top of Page

barbinberkeley
Fourth Love

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  01:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the same about the MOJO article on the PT's. Very stale. There are a couple of books about them, both pretty out of date. One is called Growing Old Disgracefully by Alan Lakey. He said he has updated it completely and is waiting for his publisher to recover from an illness to get it out. I've never seen them before, but I thought they looked healthy and having a good time, with the possible exception of Skip Allan, who has semi-retired for health reasons. He didn't play like a sick man that night, though. Plenty of strength and energy.

Edited by - barbinberkeley on 06/12/2007 01:05:48
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  21:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Jackie Leven last night - He was excellent.
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2007 :  19:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
so none of you out there saw Led Zep?

me neither

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2007 :  22:59:50  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on wednesday I saw The Damned at The Thekla in Bristol.. they did not play 'Alone Again Or' this time..

Paris Journal at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2007 :  17:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laura Cortese and Neil Cleary at The Tunnels in Aberdeen. Good stuff!
http://www.myspace.com/lauracortese
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2008 :  21:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pretty Things @ the 100club in London. This is how rock % roll should be, a fantastic night! So glad I made the trip down. I want more!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  07:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Robyn Hitchcock at the Rescue Rooms in Nottingham - doing his "I sometimes dream of trains" album - quirky, lots of surreal ramblings between tracks, very charismatic, a great performance.

I also saw Black Mountain at the same venue not long ago - Canadian psychedelic rockers with a social conscience, s winning combination.
Go to Top of Page

Martin Pravda
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2008 :  14:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Martin Pravda's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Saw British Sea Power a couple of times in January. Their drummer was injured so they wern't at their very best but right now they have the best material for a set they ever have and I can't wait to see them in full strength.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page