Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2007 :  23:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Boombox, is Joe playing much of the classic Fish material on this tour?
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2007 :  00:22:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much cj&tf at the show I saw, but it always changes. Here's the setlist:

Set 1: War War War
Foreword/The Call/Young Fellow, My Lad/The Man from Athabaska/The Munition Maker/The Twins/Jean Desprez/War Widow/The March of the Dead

Set 2
Thinking Of John Fahey/Standing At The Crossroads/Instrumental/Breakfast For Two/Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine/Tennessee Stud/Ring Of Fire/Superbird/**** Cheer>I Feel Like I’m Fixing To Die

Encore:
Save The Whales/Support the Troops
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2007 :  00:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from Roy Harper - straightest and mellowest I've ever seen him, but still very good. Catch him on tour if you can - he's taking at least two years off to write two albums.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2007 :  01:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Boombox!

I'd have to take an afternoon off work, and a 3.5 hour drive if I was to catch him on this tour, so will probably have to give it a miss.

I might have considered it if there was more Fish stuff going on, but I'm not particularly familiar with the solo stuff, and while I'm sure it is great, I can't justify the expense and time!

Hopefully he'll play nearer me if he comes back to the UK, and I'd definitely go!
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2007 :  20:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Set 2
Thinking Of John Fahey/...

CJ has a tune called Thinking of John Fahey!?

Man, that's cool!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2007 :  13:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by astrolobe33

quote:

Set 2
Thinking Of John Fahey/...

CJ has a tune called Thinking of John Fahey!?

Man, that's cool!

Yes, it's a gorgeous slide guitar piece. Joe is always talking about how John Fahey influenced him and his whole generation.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  23:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you believe it? Country Joe's voice wasn't too good after driving around Ireland in a car infested with dog hairs, so he scrapped the WWW set last night in Swindon and did a set based heavily on CJ & the Fish songs, and even did Walk Right In, accompanied by spoons and washboard!! Didn't go to Cheltenham today, but heard from one who did and the vocal rest seems to have worked - he even did Janis today - wish I could get to more dates this week - the War War War show is something else. :-(
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  20:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah dammit. Wish I could have seen it. I've missed his last two UK tours. His dates are so inconvenient for me! Hope he comes back next year!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  00:04:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Jam

Ah dammit. Wish I could have seen it. I've missed his last two UK tours. His dates are so inconvenient for me! Hope he comes back next year!

Drop me a line if you want me to send you some recordings.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2007 :  00:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kula Shaker tonight on board the Thekla in Bristol. One helluva gig too, despite band illness - new songs sounded good and the broken string In Hey Dude fired them up to absolutely shred it - and we got the added bonus of Don Pecker doing Fairyland too!!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2007 :  17:10:13  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kula Shaker tonight on board the Thekla in Bristol. One helluva gig too, despite band illness - new songs sounded good and the broken string In Hey Dude fired them up to absolutely shred it - and we got the added bonus of Don Pecker doing Fairyland too!!

Don pecker doing Fairyland!!!! I cant believe i missed that

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2007 :  13:49:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw Roky Erickson and the Explosives last night, first UK gig every for Roky, I thought it was a great concert, set list longer than the gig Mojo reviewed. I wondered if the size of the Royal Festival Hall, which is 2895 and the stalls were 90% sold, would phase Roky but Jarvis Cocker introduced him by saying that the word legend is bandied about a lot but tonight we really had one, Roky and the Explosives came on, launched straight into Cold Night for Alligators, got an immediate and great reaction which continued right through the set, confident performance throughout and he still has such a powerful distinctive voice. Good mix of ages in the audience too.

Great to see Roky so healthy and getting the recognition he deserves.
Just checked his website which is up to date, has more gigs listed,
and has a forum:

http://www.rokyerickson.net/
Go to Top of Page

steve64
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
344 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2007 :  17:52:31  Show Profile  Visit steve64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was at the Roky gig too and it was amazing..

check out 'Tribute In Motion' Paris and Doors Forums at http://timparistalk.proboards99.com
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2007 :  22:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at Roky too. Outstanding. Great to see him in action, and the setlist was superb. Love those tunes!

Saw the Doors the previous night. Got right at the front, and could see every note Ray Manzarek played on his keyboard. Music was made for moments like that!
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2007 :  15:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw the Dave Mathews Band with Tom morello as the support act, calling himself the Nightwatchman. Dave Mathews is pretty good sort of like early Spingsteen. Tom Morrello was laughable, he sounded like a drunk relative doing johhny cash on the karioke. The funniest moment was when he sang a song that's lyrics were "I am a one man revolution".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page