Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2005 :  02:49:31  Show Profile
The thing is...it's really hard to do anything original of value in this world. If the band are happy to go on playing songs written before 1970...by someone else....without the guy that wrote them...and people are willing to listen to them do that...fair enough. As for me I don't need to hear another cover Band by any name. No Doors withour Morrison...no Queen without Freddy. I personally would much prefer to hear new songs from Arthur and if he can't get it up to speed then....GAME OVER. Admittedly his output has been pretty weak since at least the late 70s if not before. Maybe I'm alone in this but I liked some of that 70s stuff. I heard some of my friends here in England say that Arthuer was trying too hard to be black. Hey wake up....Arthur is Black. Artist change...he never was a hippie and he never will be. I hope he does something different and does it well. He writes great words and i want to hear something new. Enough of him singing those same old songs. Do you think Jimi Hendrix would still want to play Foxey Lady. I don't.

JohnFPorcaro
Fourth Love

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2005 :  04:18:46  Show Profile
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but rather by the content of their character". Martin Luther King

Arthur is black, but his character stinks.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2005 :  04:40:21  Show Profile
So forget his character...forget his colour and just listen to the music. he is a singer for God's sake not a role model. I love MLK and wew all have dreams but we must still work toward them and not be so judgemental.
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  04:01:19  Show Profile
FYI, WFW, you will hear many of the hits that Arthur wouldn't or couldn't perform. Don't forget, Johnny also wrote those songs.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  08:32:12  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage
Is Johnny credited on any songs?
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  08:37:16  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage
Answered my own question:

Can't Explsin
Emotions
Revelatiom
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  08:42:34  Show Profile
No he is not!!! Rumour has it... Bla bla bla. nobody denies that Syd Barrett wrote the first PF song because he is credited with them ..not rumoured to have co written. Untill proven otherwise AL and BM wrote and Love performed. Now all of a sudden wqe are supposed to believe tha JE and everyone else in the band wrote the songs and AL scared them all into submission for 40 yeaRS. I don't believe it. The band can carry on and do a fine job but they ain't Love. Not without AL. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  08:44:05  Show Profile
OK... 3 songs. Does anyone love those songs?
Go to Top of Page

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  10:20:08  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address
I love them all! But especially Revelation
Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2005 :  12:55:54  Show Profile
I agree with Wendy on this.

The guy may have a bad character but that doesn't detract from my appreciation of his musical contribution and neither do I think it should. IMO Arthur is a hero as an artist, not a man.

How much input others have had into his compositions will remain a point of debate but I'd be surprised if anyone could argue a convincing case that Arthur was not the major creative force behind Love. So, for me, without him there, it's not the same. Hearing Red Telephone, House is not a Motel and You Set the Scene performed by a band without Arthur Lee just does not hold the same level of interest for me, no matter how competently those songs are played or sung.

They'll still be great songs played by a great band but the guy who provided that unique take on the world in the first place won't be there.
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  05:32:07  Show Profile
why hasn't CARYNE THE QUEEN OF THE LOVE SITE taken on Wendy from When?????
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  05:34:21  Show Profile
or Mr.Fred in Bed for that matter
Go to Top of Page

LarryNYC
Fifth Love

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  05:47:43  Show Profile
Caryne is away on holiday celebrating her birthday with her husband in Scotland. As for bendy Wendy arse and elbow come to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  08:27:44  Show Profile
You fellows just want drama. I have no axe to grind and no grudge against the band. I am just stating the simple truth as I see it. As someone else stated there really has been no band worthy of the name Love since about 1968 or so. I think the band play the music brilliantly. I have seen it. But they are not Love. Without AL they are covering Love songs. How can you see it any other way. Wee I guess with JE it is more than just a straight cover band but not that much more without that voice. You all know it Come on. Stop living in the past. Lets hear some new songs if this band is going to live up to the name. Do you really disagree with that. Is someone going to step up and write some songs as good as the old ones or not? AL set a standard of songwriting that you all admire admit it!!! You've loved him for years. And now you are going to run off and follow his backing band because he hurt your feelings or hurt the bands feelings or hurt someones feelings or????? I for one would rather listen to the old records and hear some new music from someone else than hear Rusty trying to singing like AL. Is he going to sign AL autographs as well. I don't want it. That is all I am saying. No quarrel with anyone else going along to hear them. THEY ARE NOT LOVE!!! thats all
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  11:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage
but when the Voice has gone

Then what?

do you wheel the Singer out to lip-synch?
seen it before, it's just sad.

I like the songs, I like to hear music played live and i think the guys do a great job, so I'll continue to support them.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

Wendy from When
Third Love

79 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2005 :  20:17:50  Show Profile
you are right to follow your heart in this. That is what I am doing. I don't mean that I don't support them. I think they do a fine job. It just ain't Love without AL.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page