Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  18:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The version of White Rabbit on that GS album is amazing - it really builds up before the song starts.
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  20:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

asrolobe33 (Jon) and MHM (Chris)

I got Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators about a week ago on CD. It's awesome...I play it all the time now. Great recommendation and Thank You.

Awright!Glad you liked it Alan. Their other albums are good too, the first one from '66 is more raw and "punky", and the last, Bull of the Woods is almost like a portrait of an archetype in deterioration, yet still has many very fine moments. There's also the "LIVE!" lp which I think came out between "Easter" and "Bull", but was actually recorded prior to the 1st lp, and though ostensibly literally live--in the sense that they all played their instruments together at the same time in recording--the audience noise/applause was overdubbed and seems a bit comical. Still it's not bad, only not as interesting as the others. There's also a bootleg of note, usually called Avalon '66 (they went to CA from TX a couple of times for extended stays), and it has an absolutely scorching rendition of You Really Got Me.
Did your CD come with lyrics? If not, I could send you the ones to Slip Inside This House if you like (if I can find them again), that song deserves special attention. Wonderful words. You (or anyone else who may be interested) are welcome to contact me off the board.
quote:

Before the Jefferson Airplane, there was a group called The Great Society. I think this was Gracie's first band. I have a double LP which includes a first album, Conspicuous Only in its Absence, and it's like early garage semi psychedelic. Great versions of Somebody to Love and White Rabbit. I feel that Gracie was at her best with this LP. It's early SF...recorded at The Matrix, well before Gracie became so commercial.

Allan

I really like that album too. I think it's very psych, and miles higher than what the Airplane was up to at that point before Grace came on board. I'd even go so far as to say it's considerably further out than Surrealistic Pillow. As you and boombox said, that White Rabbit is fabulous, as is STL. Some other stand-outs for me on there are Sally go 'round the Roses, Arbitration, and their arrangement of Nat King Cole's Nature Boy. Their's was the first version of Dylan's Outlaw Blues I ever heard, so even now I have a hard time with the line about Robert Ford in Bob's original. Also their nod to Lenny in 'Father Bruce' is cool.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Jam
Fourth Love

220 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2005 :  21:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 13th Floor Elevators are fabulous. Easter Everywhere is a great album, worth it for the opening track alone. Love the first album too. Reverberation is probably my favourite from that one. Roky has gotta be one of the most paranoid sounding blokes in American psych.

Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  12:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
astrolobe33 (Jon)

I also have their first LP. I like 'You're Gonna Miss Me' and 'Roller Coaster' a lot. I agree with you...it is more raw.

As for 'Easter Everywhere', I have to admit I'm kinda hooked on it right now. It's a fabulous LP. 'Slip Inside This House" and 'Slide Machine' are amazing. All the cuts on the LP are amazing. Jon (and Chris), thanks again for the fabulous turn on.

Yes, I would be very interested in the lyrics (if you can find them .) My e-mail addy is peaceful97@comcast.net.

As for The Great Society, I have talked about this LP here in the past, but never got any responses until now. This LP epitomizes 'raw' sound. In addition to the tracks mentioned, I also like 'Grimly Forming" and "As Often As I May". This group were pioneers of the 60's SF sound. I wish I were there to see them back in the day. I'm glad you agree with me on this one, Jon.

Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2005 :  13:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a free copy of Easter Everywhere in the 1970's for taking out a UK magazine subscription, it might have been for Zigzag but I believe it was for a magazine called Dark Star if anyone remembers that, covered all things West Coast and psychedelic, many great articles and interviews and pointed me in the direction of several artists and bands. Zigzag of course had lots of articles on Love, about the only place you could get information on the band in those days.
Go to Top of Page

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  01:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly remember 'Dark Star',which was produced by the mighty Nick Ralph(no relation),and gave 'Zig-Zag','Fat Angel','Hot Wacks' etc,a run for their money.Those were great days for independent UK music 'zines,and I have a particular soft spot for 'Comstock Lode',which featured articles on the likes of the Holy Modal Rounders,Mad River,the Youngbloods.etc.In fact,when I first met Nick(late 60's) he was playing a gig at Southampton Uni Student's Union,with his band (if my memory serves me well?)catching my attention by performing just two numbers,both cover versions.....short ditties as I recall.....'Sister Ray'(Velvet's of course),and.....wait for it....'The Great American Eagle Tragedy'(Earth Opera).The gig as a whole was also made memorable by an appearance by the early Tyrranosaurus Rex,and hosted by the late great John Peel!I have vague memories of 'Principle Edward's Magic Theatre'also being there,but I might be pushing my luck on the brain-cell stakes now.....Hazey-Daze indeed!
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  04:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allan

I also have their first LP. I like 'You're Gonna Miss Me' and 'Roller Coaster' a lot. I agree with you...it is more raw.
Stands to reason.. not only were they just starting up, they drove to Houston from Austin and recorded the whole thing in one 8-hour session! Easter, on the other hand was a more extended project, recorded over the last month of summer '67 and mixed during the first week in October.
quote:

As for 'Easter Everywhere', I have to admit I'm kinda hooked on it right now. It's a fabulous LP. 'Slip Inside This House" and 'Slide Machine' are amazing. All the cuts on the LP are amazing.
Oh yeah. Stacy Sutherland's leads really put it over the top too, his song on it, Nobody to Love, has become one of my favorites. That guitar sounds like arcs of lightning shooting thru the stratosphere. It also has the prettiest version of It's All Over Now Baby Blue I've ever heard, and I saw the Grateful Dead do that one live a few times!
quote:
Yes, I would be very interested in the lyrics (if you can find them .) My e-mail addy is peaceful97@comcast.net.
Cominatchya!
-J
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  14:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oldfartaplay...your turn

Earth Opera-The Great American Eagle Tragedy

I don't know too many people that even know about this group and the title song. Back in '68, we were very anti-war...and so I feel this is an anti-war song. The song was very popular in Philly, but I haven't heard it played on the air in over 35 years

Allan
Go to Top of Page

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  00:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Allan - I guess that like many of the folk of a certain vintage who visit these boards after turning on to the first two Love & Doors albums I realized that Elektra(along with ESP),was the coolest label on the planet at the time.I think I checked out just about every album on their catalogue....including the turkey's(David Peel & the Lower East Side anyone?).Earth Opera featured the Rowan brothers,of whom Peter Rowan has gone on to be one of the finest Country/Rock artists around....and the writer of 'Panama Red'(a New Riders classic).He also is a fine exponent of that great western tradition.....the Cowboy Yodel!Perhaps his finest hour is to be found on the classic 'Old & In the Way' album with a fantastic line-up which includes Peter,David Grisman(the Mandolin maestro),ol'Cap'n Trips himself,Jerry Garcia on Banjo(RIP),and the recently departed Vassar Clements on fiddle...all cooking up a storm at a live gig in SF.With Vassars passing this album has been a semi-permanent feature on the record deck in this household just recently.However,to get back on thread.....me thinks that every psychedelic cabin in the sky should have a copy of Jerry Garcia's first solo album 'Garcia'.Ol' Jerry certainly knew how to take his passengers on a magical mystery tour,and this one is a definitely recommended for the Bean-Bag & Head-phone voyagers....Carlos Casteneda move over!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2005 :  01:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oldfartaplay (I still hate that name )

Great reply. While finger surfing with the TV remote maybe about a year ago, I caught Mr. Garcia with this band on PBS. They were very good. I'm thinking this is your recommendation (Old and in the Way) and so I'll take you up on it. More to come...

I just finished A Separate Reality and so I'm on to a Journey to Ixtlan. Don Genaro said "Looking is not Seeing". No matter how many times I read this series, it just blows me away.

Allan
Go to Top of Page

oldfartatplay
Third Love

74 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  00:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Allan - With reference to the Casteneda books,I've always sensed some influence in Gene Clark's fabulous 'No Other' album(God,I love that man's music),with songs such as 'Silver Raven'conjuring up images of flying over the desert,and the quest......or perhaps I just had too much to think!My favourite take on Don Juan & Casteneda is Homer Simpson's encounter with the mystic Chillis of 'Quexyquotal'(or some other mystic sounding place!)in the Springfield Chilli eating contest.......the unfortunate Homer embarks on a Chilli induced psychedelic quest out in the desert.....I get the feeling that Matt Groening & his team are also fans of the books.The wonderful 'Firesign Theatre'also slipped Don Juan references into many of their early pieces,including the classics 'How Can You Be in Two Places At Once,When You're Not Anywhere At All?','Waiting For The Electrician (or someone just like him)','I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus','Don't Crush That Dwarf,Hand Me The Pliers',and my particular favourite 'Everything You Know Is Wrong'!Now those guys know how to 'seriously' adjust your reality......with humour! Regards - john.r
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  01:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With you re. 'Garca', Oldfart. While I might like a lot of newer stuff this is a record that is still good to come back to. Got it on release and still playing it. Who can fail to love 'To Lay Me Down' and 'Sugaree'? (Ans: those who can't hear.) Ditto 'No Other'. What a voice and what a loss.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  04:12:01  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, oldfartatplay, the Earth Opera album's " Home to You" begins with " ....it's to tired, and i'm getting late..." i love that !! the Simpsons is one cool show!!! that episode was very peyoteish! amazing and funny. "No Other" is great, yeah Gene Clark was very special. "don't squeeze the wheeze!"
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  13:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rowan then went on after Earth Opera to join Seatrain - the first Seatrain album is amazing: I had heard a couple of boots from the Marbelehead Messenger era and thought I loved the band, then that first album blew me away.

My first intro to Peter Rowan was Home To You on a late 60s sampler - can't remember what it was called. Then, when I was getting into String Cheese Incident, found an mp3 of when they had him up with them to do Land of the Navajo - best version ever IMHO.

I agree with the analysis of Elektra as the top label of the times (Don't know much on ESP outside the Fugs and HMR). Other seldom heard gems include Clear Light, of whom mention has already been made, and Ray & Koerner's rather wonderful outfit: Bamboo. Like Earth Opera, I had heard a track, "Girl of the Seasons" on a sampler and I managed to pick it up at a record fair for the princely sum of £3; I assume it to be an original - stuff like that was never re-releasd then. Have never seen it on CD.

Edited by - boombox on 09/09/2005 03:50:27
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  03:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found a link to the sampler with th eEarth Opera and Bamboo on - Garden of Delights: Various Artists Elektra ESP 9001 (Stereo) - Released: 1972. More here: http://www.atsf.co.uk/elektra/discography.php?from=4990&to=5190 This is also an excellent resource for tracking down just how many amazing discs Elektra put out then.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page