Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Arnstein
Fifth Love

Norway
340 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2005 :  13:24:27  Show Profile  Click to see Arnstein's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you have any great recomendations of psychedelic bands other than Love?

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2005 :  14:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.rocklist.co.uk/qlistspage3.htm#Psychedelic!

You could try looking here for a start...
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2005 :  16:01:15  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
http://www.rocklist.co.uk/mojo_p2.htm#psyco

...and another one - I always was a list geek!!
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2005 :  20:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoo! Where to begin? Tina's suggested lists are certainly on the money, of course there are a few on it I still haven't heard. To me, for the past couple decades I consider the stellar 13th Floor Elevators from Texas to be the absotively posilutely ultimustly seminal and quintessential psychedelic band. #4 on the Q-list there, their debut Psychedelic Sounds, from '66 is considered by many to be THE first full album of the whole genre, so qualified by its overt references about the experience. But not appearing on that list is their second, even better album, that shining sun at the pinnacle of entheogenic/sonic musicdom: Easter Everywhere.
If ya ain't got it ya gotta gettit!!
Jon
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  00:52:22  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, Easter Everywhere is GOOD! I still LOVE Quicksilver Messenger Service's 1st album, especially its very psychedelic, "The Fool", which always gives me chills! another great little band is "the Fallen Angels". on the Collectables lable. " the Roulette Masters, part 2 of 2", is great!
Go to Top of Page

peeweejimmy999
First Love

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  16:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try the west coast pop art experimental band. they had several albulms and all were good.
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  19:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://rateyourmusic.com/lists/list_view/list_id_is_4578

Came across this list, you can click on the names of the bands and find people posting reviews of the albums which is very useful.

Some highlighted on this list that I like which are not on the previous links:

Ultimate Spinach - this band divides psych fans as you can see from the reviews, I enjoy both the first two albums which I bought in the 60s, the lyrics and sleeve notes though are very much of the time.

Steve Miller - first side of Children of the Future is excellent and very pysch influenced, was a real John Peel favourite, in fact he started to play it one night about three years and was enjoying hearing it again so much he let it run on and knocked some other songs off the playlist. Second side is blues-rock from their live set of the time, the second album has better material of this style in my opinion.

Fifty Foot Hose - San Francisco band, only made one album but a not widely known psych classic, if you like the United States of America check this one out as much use of electronica and distinctive female vocalist. On the sleeve notes it says "Track 1 (And After) is a two minute oscillating tone. There is nothing wrong with your CD player." and in an interview with Louis Marcheschi, the electronics player he says:

"When we played the Fillmore with Love that was one of our best gigs because those were the biggest speakers we got to work with. When I opened the show with this composition, the crowd would freak out. It would creep up on you like a big quake, with these low tones that would vibrate the hell out of buildings. It got people ready for the show, it really did."

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  04:46:18  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
mikeb, thanx for that web link! looks good! alot of my favorite bands on it. i'm gonna join the messageboard.
Go to Top of Page

MHM
Third Love

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  11:47:53  Show Profile  Visit MHM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Crimson & Clover by Tommy James & the Shondells is another one-off great psyche number from the guy responsible for Mony Mony & I Think We're Alone Now! That one track in it's full 5/6min version - beware, there is a radio edit out there - is a top tune!

If you want great psyche, you can now get The Fallen Angels Vol.2 on Roulette which is a great strange album that I originally taped years ago from a friend but now thankfully have on cd. Definitely check out the Electric Prunes. There are a few S.A.Clock tracks which are pleasant on a sunny day, Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow (top title!), Tomorrow etc, all very much of their time but hey, we like those times. The Chocolate Watchband's (Are You Gonna Be There) At The Love-In is an absolute classic psyche tune. The 13th Floor Elevators are great, especially the 1st album with You're Gonna Miss Me on it. Spirit, their 2nd album The Family That Plays Together (tracks I've Got A Line On You, She Smiles & Darlin') is great. So's their 1st and of course 4th, Twelve Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus!
So much great stuff! I've put some on whilst I type this!
Great stuff to check out, get a best of - or check out these songs - from each of these and it'll be worth it:
The Seeds - Wind Blows Her Hair, Pushin' To Hard
Easybeats - Gonna Have A Good Time, Heaven & Hell
Merry-Go-Round - Live, You're A Very Lovely Woman
Standells - Dirty Water, Why Pick On Me, Medication
Kinks - Village Green album - 3cd version with King Kong & Berkeley Mews is mega.
Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish (written by one Art Lee)
Human Beinz - Nobody But Me
Hombres - Let It All Hang Out
Caravan - If I Could Do It All Again, I'd Do It All Over You album
The Nazz - Open My Eyes (rockin!)
Count Five - grab a best of.
Sopwith Camel
The Charlatens - orig U.S. band
Butterfield Blues Band
Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
Tim Buckley - Pleasant Street from Goodbye & Hello

Loads of stuff I'd love to be able to hear for the 1st time again. Plus if you don't have it, grab the Who's Quick One album and Sell Out too. The cd versions with extras are great. The Velvet Underground box set. Country Joe & the Fish got mentioned already.

If you're stuck and want more suggestions, drop me a note.

cheers Chris

www.BryanMacLean.com www.ZENuk.com www.MileHighMusic.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  12:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Byrds I would go for Notorious Byrd Brothers over Younger Than Yesterday if you were starting out a collection, one of my most played albums and I bought it on release, it's also more psychedlic influenced to me. Get the reissue with extra tracks including David Crosby's Triad which did not get on the original album as he had fallen out with McGuinn and Hillman. But as they are both on mid price buy the pair!
Go to Top of Page

astrolobe33
Fifth Love

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  15:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the Pretty Things. I don't think anyone's mentioned them on either thread. I have S.F. Sorrow and Parachute--both great, and a comp of earlier stuff that's cool. Still need to get more. Also, though not a psych band per se, the Yardbirds deserve attention for helping get the ball rollin' with the likes of Still I'm Sad, Shapes of Things, and Happenings Ten Years Time Ago.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  02:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a wealth of stuff to explore here:

www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  04:11:37  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
mikeb- Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde is really great, i think more psychy than " Notorious.." but NOTORIOUS is even better all around, even has that GREAT "I'm going back" written by Carol King! this track brings on the tears and lumpy throat! Chris Hillman shines on!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  14:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris

I like your list a lot. AND-I like the changes you're making on Bryan's site. But please, try to fix the 'gallery'. I'm especially interested in pics of Kenny, Johnny, and Snoopy!

Thanks Chris...

Mikeb. I agree with you on Ultimate Spinach. I saw them twice back in the day. 'Hip Death Godess' is trippy. They were part of what I call the Boston thing.

Here's a few of my picks for Psychedelic bands

Amboy Dukes-Journey to the Center of Your Mind
Beacon Street Union-The Eyes of the Beacon Street Union
Bubble Puppy
Chambers Brothers (Time)
Country Joe and the Fish-Electric Music for the Mind and Body... especially Section 43
Fever Tree
HP Lovecraft
Iron Butterfly
Mandrake Memorial-A local Philly band. Psychedelic Baroque
Peanut Butter Conspiracy
Quicksilver Messenger Service
Small Faces-Ogdens Nut Gone Flake (aubrey aubrey )
Status Quo-Pictures of Matchstick Men
Strawberry Alarm Clock
Ultimate Spinach-Psychedelic Baroque
United States of America (Psychedelic Electronic)
Vanilla Fudge-I know...but they did take Soul to a new level
Yardbirds-Little Games

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 06/08/2005 14:43:43
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  02:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although they were around a few years later than most of the above recommendations, I would have to classify the German band Amon Duul 2 as psychedelic. I particularily recommend their album 'Yeti', which, as well as having a track called 'Sandoz in the Rain' - Sandoz being the location of the factory in Germany that produced LSD - also features a lot of fine memerising and intense music, particularily the song 'Archangels Thunderbird'. Another drug-fuelled album from approximately the sama time that has weathered equally as well is Hawkwind's 'Space Ritual-Live in London'. Those unfamiliar with both the above should chack out the reviews on Amazon.co.uk music, if any further persuasion to purchase is necessary.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  06:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobody has mentioned Zappa, have they?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly