Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  04:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love's 'Forever Changes' Super Deluxe Box Due This Spring

Multi-disc set features unreleased tracks, marks album's 50th anniversary

Rolling Stone
By Kory Grow

A new, 50th anniversary box-set edition of Love's landmark Forever Changes album will feature unreleased tracks, alternate mixes and a hardcover book. The set, due April 6th, will create a comprehensive portrait of the album through four CDs, a DVD and an LP, paired with liner notes by music historian Ted Olsen that break down each track on the album.

Love's 'Forever Changes' Super Deluxe Box Due This Spring

Forever Changes Box Set Track List
Disc One: Original Album
1. "Alone Again Or"
2. "A House Is Not a Motel"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"
7. "Maybe t People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
8. "Live and Let Live"
9. "The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This"
10. "Bummer in the Summer"
11. "You Set the Scene"

Disc Two: Mono Mix

Disc Three: Alternate Mix
1. "Alone Again Or"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"
7. "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
8. "Live And Let Live"
11. "You Set the Scene"
12. "Wonder People (I Do Wonder)" (Outtake, Alternate Mix)

Disc Four: Singles and Outtakes
1. "Wonder People (I Do Wonder)"
2. "Alone Again Or" (Single Version)
3. "A House Is Not a Motel" (Single Version)
4. "Hummingbirds" (Demo)
5. "A House Is Not a Motel" (Backing Track)
6. "Andmoreagain" (Alternate Electric Backing Track)
7. "The Red Telephone" (Tracking Sessions Highlights)
8. "Wooly Bully" (Outtake)
9. "Live and Let Live" (Backing Track) *
10. "Wonder People (I Do Wonder)" (Outtake, Backing Track) *
11. "Your Mind and We Belong Together" (Tracking Sessions Highlights)
12. "Your Mind and We Belong Together"
13. "Laughing Stock"
14. "Alone Again Or" (Mono Single Remix)

DVD: 24/96 Stereo Mix
1. "Alone Again Or"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"
7. "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
8. "Live and Let Live"
11. "You Set the Scene"
12. "Your Mind and We Belong Together" (Video)

LP: Original Album
Side One
1. "Alone Again Or"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"

Side Two
1. "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
2. "Live And Let Live"
3. "The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This"
4. "Bummer in the Summer"
5. "You Set the Scene"

* Previously Unreleased

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. GENE CLARK

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  04:01:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So yeah...expensive, for sure. Gotta have it..for sure!!

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3431 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  21:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gosh!

Not much new on here though; the videos nice.

I don't recall the mono mix being that different from the stereo

thought Elektra had lost the master tapes for the 3rd album?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  22:35:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Gosh!

Not much new on here though; the videos nice.

I don't recall the mono mix being that different from the stereo

thought Elektra had lost the master tapes for the 3rd album?

Yes. Lost. Just a fold down on mono. Remasters are is supposed to be 24/96, whatever that means.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3431 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2018 :  01:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Abbey Road in mono was also a fold in

Think AR saw release in mono in ONE country

I don't know about this one - theres not much new on this album. Granted I listen to the album all the time - was listening to disc 2 of FC yesterday, but I can't imagine most fans rushing to pick this up when they already have 5 or so versions of Forever Changes, if that even includes the MFSL version from a year or so back!

are the only new songs on it the backing tracks for I Do Wonder & Live and Let Live? seems a little spare
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2018 :  03:49:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because any small new details, of the greatest album of all time, are worth the price

quote:

I think Abbey Road in mono was also a fold in

Think AR saw release in mono in ONE country

I don't know about this one - theres not much new on this album. Granted I listen to the album all the time - was listening to disc 2 of FC yesterday, but I can't imagine most fans rushing to pick this up when they already have 5 or so versions of Forever Changes, if that even includes the MFSL version from a year or so back!

are the only new songs on it the backing tracks for I Do Wonder & Live and Let Live? seems a little spare

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2018 :  14:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ruxprncd:
...because any small new details, of the greatest album of all time, are worth the price!

YEP!

Don't forget the hardbound book! And I'm sure the box/packaging will be brilliant! And will look beautiful displayed on the top of my office bookshelf!

Pre-ordering this week!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/02/2018 14:50:01
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2018 :  12:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Joe on this one. However much I like Forever Changes, I see no point in buying every different release purely because there may be some slight variations in it. I'm very content with the three versions I have (only one of which actually gets frequent play). But there again, I'm not a "collector".

DT

Scottish and European, not British.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3431 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2018 :  18:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
assuming that the backing track for Live And Let Live will turn up on Youtube

this is prettty amazing - the backing track for A House Is Not A Motel. Even without the solo to close it its pretty fantabulous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLyJ_SWKMpc

Assuming thats Bryan coming up with the goods on acoustic, and boy it sounds pretty fine. Assuming this alternate take was produced by Botnick
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3431 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2018 :  18:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazon.co.uk seems to be the cheapest way to get it - $50 including shipping?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2018 :  19:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm reading that the MONO mix is a dedicated mix, not a fold down.
...that would be sweet.

And I am also reading at Steve Hoffsman's forum that the remastering by Botnick for the vinyl is the one that was used for release on Neil's PONO, so it must be nice.

Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2018 :  10:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Amazon.co.uk seems to be the cheapest way to get it - $50 including shipping?

$65 I make it including shipping (42.42 + 3.98 pounds = approx. $65), but still substantially less than amazon.com's $89.99. Curious.

DT

Scottish and European, not British.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2018 :  23:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope to get word from Michael about the publication delays soon, after pushing it back for various publisher reasons.

Anyway, here is a teaser from Michael's ebook with a couple additions that won't be in the book...maybe.

I added a couple of stories to the ebook version and did some more editing recently. One story I left out in the previous versions was, like when Arthur and Neil Rapport (our equipment guy) flew back to L.A. when the rest of us flew down the Miami for the Pop's Festival. When we arrived at LAX, Arthur was there to meet us but no Neil, so the baggage people wouldn't let us retrieve our guitars and drums because Neil had to sign. So Arthur says to the baggage guy, "He can't sign. He's deceased." That's how we found out Neil had OD'd on heroin a couple of days after he and Arthur had arrived back home. Just a little thing.

-Michael

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/03/2018 23:08:32
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2018 :  15:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Came across this - photoshopped but pretty cool to imagine in LA somewhere!

One week to go!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  22:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone get theirs? Got mine Friday. LOVE IT!
My numbered edition is: No 14678/15000

The unboxing...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQs6LrImas

Now for my review. After a reviewer burst my bubble that the (my mistake) reputed hardbound book was actually a slick paper insert, I finally got the real deal. Don't cancel your order. This will not disappoint!

1) Gatefold Packaging (outside): I absolutely love it! The fact that the actual folio IS a hardbound gatefold book is awesome! It has a thick spine too, just like a coffee table hardbound book. Brilliant packaging. The CLOTH bound material used makes it even more high end (instead of a glossy paper look). A wonder to behold and to hold.

2) Inside the Gatefold cover: Opening this is magical. Inside left, is the heavy duty vinyl size pocket with the b&w black ink art on the pocket cover. In the pocket is the beautiful original vinyl with the original label in gold/brown Elektra. Also in the pocket is a beautifully designed & printed 12 x 12 booklet (better than Magical Mystery Tour's paper & print quality by far). The cover of the book is the rejected cover art with loose renderings of the band, the castle and gravestones etc (the one we've seen before, but very awesome at the 12 x 12 size).

Inside the book are some great photos (nothing new, except maybe one) and a nice writeup. I was disappointed at first that Johnny & Michael weren't interviewed for this 50th release but they have been included in so many others that a fine historical and interesting text was just as satisfying.

The gatefold center page is heavy glossy card stock with a cool pic on one side, and the DVD center stage nestled in a pocket in the middle of cool art on the other side. Far right inside cover we have the four discs, all in neat pockets (yes, safe for the CDs really) with cool psychedelic graphics inside each pocket. I love it all! Oh, and the back of the gatefold cover is a reproduction of the original cover back. It's all so beautiful, that it only begs the question as to why the original wasn't given the grand gatefold treatment back in 1967!

3) The vinyl: Beautiful! Looks like my 1967 original vinyl exactly. It sounds so much better!! That muddy production with Michael's drums and Kenny's bass a bit lost in the production are magically remastered to perfection. Arthur's and Bryan's, and Johnny & Michael's harmonies are all clear and beautiful, as never before. I hear Michael's (my favorite drummer's) brilliant backbeats, offbeats and creative fills to full advantage now. And Kenny, who was one of the most influential bassists to his peers, is sounding so great now, equally along side the rest, as his bass lines should be.

Arthur's words to Michael back in 1967 when Michael asked if they could tweak the rhythm section that was rather lost & weak in the mix: Arthur said, "sorry, we don't have any more tracks", and walked away. No more room. The last of the eight tracks was reserved for the strings to be added next. So in conclusion, it's the best sounding Forever Changes yet (I haven't been able to procure the 45 speed release). I was very skeptical when I read that Botnick was doing the remastering. All skepticism has been put to rest. Brilliant. Unlike the muddy original vinyl production that always had me yelling, "why couldn't this be just a little better", has now become a well separated and bright on the treble, without being tinny, full midrange, and perfect bass. All in all a brilliantly mastered production.

Just turn it up a bit more (not unusual for many remasters--just glad it ain't brickwalled!). Oh and the opener is even a bit stronger (remember how we all wished the opening guitar part had been a bit louder?!)...IT'S ALL GOOD NOW!

4) The Mono mix CD: Very nice to finally have the MONO, even if it appears to be a fold down. It seems a bit punchier than the stereo mix. Still, I won't pull it out for a listen over the stereo mix, not as often anyway. And yet, strangely, it completes me. :hugs:

5) The Alt mix: We loved Steve Hoffman's remaster when we first heard it from the Deluxe Edition boxed CDs, and we still do. Nuff said! I go to this often. Just wish it had been included as a second vinyl disc!

6) The Rest Of The Story--The last discs I leave to you guys as I haven't wanted to tear myself away from the vinyl yet...and taking in the wonderful packaging while listening to Forever Changes for the first time, after a thousand times is overwhelming! I don't have my system wired yet to play video DVDs so I can't review that properly, nor have I listened to the Demo material (which we already have, save one...and love it), or the TV appearance material which we've all known and loved.

I leave that to the next reviewer! Hyperboles notwithstanding, all praises are welcome here, and that is what this is all about. The greatest album of all time.

One last thought: 12 x 12 vinyl gatefolds have always been a passion and this tops them all!

With the Sgt. Pepper's 50th mix a bit underwhelming...This all makes for a LoVE 50th celebration beyond what I had hoped for! Arthur was right! Love...FOREVER CHANGES!

Hat's off to Rhino!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 08/04/2018 22:16:26
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9509 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2018 :  22:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

A video of the package unboxing...sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQs6LrImas

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page