Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 LoVE's 50th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box release:

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 07/02/2018 : 04:01:09
Love's 'Forever Changes' Super Deluxe Box Due This Spring

Multi-disc set features unreleased tracks, marks album's 50th anniversary

Rolling Stone
By Kory Grow

A new, 50th anniversary box-set edition of Love's landmark Forever Changes album will feature unreleased tracks, alternate mixes and a hardcover book. The set, due April 6th, will create a comprehensive portrait of the album through four CDs, a DVD and an LP, paired with liner notes by music historian Ted Olsen that break down each track on the album.

Love's 'Forever Changes' Super Deluxe Box Due This Spring

Forever Changes Box Set Track List
Disc One: Original Album
1. "Alone Again Or"
2. "A House Is Not a Motel"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"
7. "Maybe t People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
8. "Live and Let Live"
9. "The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This"
10. "Bummer in the Summer"
11. "You Set the Scene"

Disc Two: Mono Mix

Disc Three: Alternate Mix
1. "Alone Again Or"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"
7. "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
8. "Live And Let Live"
11. "You Set the Scene"
12. "Wonder People (I Do Wonder)" (Outtake, Alternate Mix)

Disc Four: Singles and Outtakes
1. "Wonder People (I Do Wonder)"
2. "Alone Again Or" (Single Version)
3. "A House Is Not a Motel" (Single Version)
4. "Hummingbirds" (Demo)
5. "A House Is Not a Motel" (Backing Track)
6. "Andmoreagain" (Alternate Electric Backing Track)
7. "The Red Telephone" (Tracking Sessions Highlights)
8. "Wooly Bully" (Outtake)
9. "Live and Let Live" (Backing Track) *
10. "Wonder People (I Do Wonder)" (Outtake, Backing Track) *
11. "Your Mind and We Belong Together" (Tracking Sessions Highlights)
12. "Your Mind and We Belong Together"
13. "Laughing Stock"
14. "Alone Again Or" (Mono Single Remix)

DVD: 24/96 Stereo Mix
1. "Alone Again Or"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"
7. "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
8. "Live and Let Live"
11. "You Set the Scene"
12. "Your Mind and We Belong Together" (Video)

LP: Original Album
Side One
1. "Alone Again Or"
3. "Andmoreagain"
4. "The Daily Planet"
5. "Old Man"
6. "The Red Telephone"

Side Two
1. "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale"
2. "Live And Let Live"
3. "The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This"
4. "Bummer in the Summer"
5. "You Set the Scene"

* Previously Unreleased

The actual writing of a song usually comes in the form of a realisation.
I can't contrive a song. – GENE CLARK
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lemonade kid Posted - 15/05/2018 : 22:51:57
Johnny has posted (on Facebook I believe) that he loves the new Forever Changes remastered album and the rest. And that Arthur, Kenny, and Michael would be very happy, too.

Turns out Michael was unaware of the Rhino/Elektra reissue until a friend and fellow musician told him about it.

lemonade kid Posted - 18/04/2018 : 13:32:01
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

why a double set?

cant believe Elektra lost the master tapes for the 3rd album. You'd think theyd hold onto those when changing house!

The Castle publication - gotta love it - check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F5jZepjp2o

Love at the castle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK6iyi_on9s

Because you can't get the full LP on one disc at 45 RPM....

Joe Morris Posted - 17/04/2018 : 19:48:17
why a double set?

cant believe Elektra lost the master tapes for the 3rd album. You'd think theyd hold onto those when changing house!

The Castle publication - gotta love it - check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F5jZepjp2o

Love at the castle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK6iyi_on9s
torben Posted - 15/04/2018 : 18:15:51
MFSL is out on vinyl as a 2lp set running at 45 rpm.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/mobile-fidelity-reissues-loves-forever-changes-45rpm
Joe Morris Posted - 13/04/2018 : 20:04:33
is the MFSL on vinyl?

the list forgets the first issue of the album on cd from the late 80s (hey! my library still has it!
Joe Morris Posted - 13/04/2018 : 19:03:48
thanks for posting this

can't believe the album has been released so much! I was upset it was split for the Love Story 2CD, although it split as did the vinyl of course (after Red Telephone
lemonade kid Posted - 13/04/2018 : 15:30:11
CD Shootout of Loveís Forever Changes--a very in depth analysis
& praise for Botnicks' remastering

https://www.facebook.com/notes/forever-changes/cd-shootout-of-loves-forever-changes/587301581654171

lemonade kid Posted - 12/04/2018 : 21:01:39
quote:

whats a fold down mix, if I have the slang for it right?

From Steve Hoffman's forum:

...Very, very few things in the 60s were "recorded in mono". Hardly anything.

They were recorded as either 2-track, 4-track or 8-track. Then if the intent was to release them as mono they were MIXED down to a mono signal.

Yes, lots of material was released in the 60s as mono. Most up to about '68 was mixed as what is known as a 'dedicated' mix... ie specific moves with the multi-track to a stereo soundpicture or a monaural balance. The easiest way to find out if mixes are mono is to learn about the different catalogue codings from the record companies. Kama Sutra would have for instance KLP for mono and KLSP for stereo and so on.

But remember, it's not how the things were recorded it's how they were mixed. The classic example is the first Beatles UK album. Recorded on 2-track. As it was, with some eq and editing it was a stereo mix. But it was also mixed down to a mono signal as well for the mono issue of the album.

Dedicated mono or fold down?

The surest way of course is to listen and compare a stereo pressing and a mono pressing. But that can be hard with rare records. Some recordings were released as a stereo fold-down well, Everly Brothers RCA Recording Studio material folds down nicely, the intent was there during the recording and engineering to allow the stereo record to be played on a mono player and not to sound like crap. But some do not fold-down well. Simon and Garfunkels 'Parsley Sage...' sounds bad if you fold it down. Weird phasing and swooshing sounds on some tracks.

--Comments courtesy Steve Hoffman forum

...if you have a stereo copy of the song to compare to the mono mix, you can listen for differences between the two mixes to see if the mono mix is a dedicated mono mix or a fold-down. Some extreme cases of dedicated mono mixes have extra instruments or vocals that aren't present in the stereo mix, or, conversely, instruments or vocals that are missing from the stereo mix.

Other dedicated mono mixes might just feature all the same instruments, but with different emphasis on the balance of those instruments. A lot of 60s mono mixes really seem to emphasize the bass compared to their stereo counterparts, although I think this may have something to do with the physical properties of mono versus stereo record grooves and stylus movement as well.

Another clue as to whether a mono mix is dedicated instead of a fold-down is its length - is the mono mix longer or shorter than the stereo mix? Can you hear "extra" music at the beginning of the song or during the fade-out?

Joe Morris Posted - 11/04/2018 : 17:42:47
whats a fold down mix, if I have the slang for it right?
Phil Hobbs Posted - 11/04/2018 : 10:52:00
UK fans may be interested to know that I ordered a copy yesterday from speedyhen.com for £32.49 with free postage. That's a great price and around £10 less than any other price I could find. I have no idea who Speedyhen are really but it's apparently being despatched today so all seems genuine. Looking forward to receiving it and giving it a listen. I already have 6 or 7 copies on vinyl/CD but had to get this one too!
Joe Morris Posted - 10/04/2018 : 22:48:29
Love was released as a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab?

hows the book?
torben Posted - 10/04/2018 : 17:27:50
Got the box too 12933/15000.
Beautiful package.
I have only listened to the vinyl and it sounds great.
Will have to compare it to the Mobile Fidelity 2lp to find out which one sounds the best.
otiselevator Posted - 10/04/2018 : 16:16:31
Just got mine 14644/15000 and it's a magnificent package. So far I've only listened to the Vinyl but absolutely endorse everything Lemonade Kid says....it's a brilliant remastering that brings out every nuance of this amazing music. I've fallen in love with Forever Changes all over again.
lemonade kid Posted - 10/04/2018 : 16:02:11
Has no one here gotten this amazing package?!
Hoffman's forum is abuzz with accolades and comments.

Please tell me that the best Love forum in the world (here) has NOT died...where are you guys?! We used to get dozens to hundreds of posts a day!!

Where's the LoVE here??!!

lemonade kid Posted - 10/04/2018 : 15:59:24
quote:

Whos Steve Hoffman and how does he have the best jobs?!

One of the best in the business...his remastering of Pet Sounds is the industry standard! The best remaster of Pet Sounds MONO ever on DCC.

Steve Hoffman (born 3 December 1953) is a mastering engineer.

In the early 1970s, Hoffman worked in radio and earned a degree in mass communications from California State University, Northridge. During the late 1970s, Hoffman joined MCA Records as catalog research and development coordinator. For the next decade, he was responsible for compiling hundreds of budget cassette releases for MCA's Special Products division. His primary focus was on jazz and big band recordings.

In 1985 he worked on a series of releases aimed at the CD market which bore the title "From the Original Master Tapes." This series included works of artists such as Buddy Holly, Bill Haley and John Coltrane. He later departed from MCA, and has plied his trade with the Dunhill Compact Classics and Audio Fidelity labels, owned by Marshall Blonstein, former vice president of Ode Records.

Hoffman has also worked with other labels on occasion, including Analogue Productions, Rural Rhythm, Razor & Tie, and S&P.[1]

Steve Hoffman co-wrote and recorded as a musician (drums and guitar) the surf rock instrumental "Cecilia Ann" with childhood friend Charles "Frosty" Horton, under the moniker of The Surftones. The track was recorded to provide an opener for a sixties surf rock anthology assembled by Hoffman in 1989, and gained popularity when it was covered by the Pixies, also as an opener on their 1990 album Bossanova.

Approach

Hoffman's method of transferring tapes is minimalist. The adjustments he makes depend on the quality of the tape source and the equalization choices of the mixing engineer. While he avoids compression, limiting, and noise reduction, he does add "colorations" through subtractive equalization and up to five layers of vacuum tube distortion.[2][3][4][5]

The Picks' overdubs

In February 1984, Hoffman sent what are known as safety copies of several Buddy Holly master recordings to John Pickering of The Picks[6] who took them to Sound Masters studios in Houston, Texas. There, the reunited group overdubbed new vocal parts onto at least 60 recordings, and sent them back to Hoffman at MCA. The belief was that, under Hoffman's influence, MCA would have issued these "new" recordings as an album,[6] perhaps to commemorate the 25th year since Holly's death. This did not occur, and Hoffman was subsequently fired from MCA.[6] In 1992, Pickering approached Viceroy Records to arrange a deal for nationwide distribution of these overdubbed recordings, but MCA made it clear that Pickering did not have legal clearance to release such recordings.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hoffman_(audio_engineer)

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page