New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  07:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Forever Changes was overshadowed by Sgt Peppers in 1967 when it was released, I had read that if Eleketra released it in Winter 68(January-February) it probably would've charted a bit higher. Not sure if anyone would agree with that or not. Sgt Peppers did overshadow albums like Yardbirds's Little Games, Love's Forever Changes, and maybe Moody Blue's Days of Future Passed.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  13:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably an unfair comparison because the Beatles overshadowed every other release throughout their career. It was a consideration though. The Beatles and Stones were such good friends that they would compare release dates of records so as not to overshadow one another....a unique relationship in the record industry to even have that power as a band. 1967 was a high point and a competitive year all round anyway.

Here is a list of prominent records released in early 1968...some competition for sure still...Jan-March: quiet months but likely for a reason--post Christmas and slow sales industry-wide maybe?

January

2 Elvis' Gold Records Volume 4 Elvis Presley Compilation
Sing Me Back Home Merle Haggard -

15 The Notorious Byrd Brothers The Byrds -

21 Boogie with Canned Heat Canned Heat -
The Graduate Simon & Garfunkel (incidental music by Dave Grusin) Soundtrack

22 Gris-Gris Dr. John -
Heavy Iron Butterfly -
Spirit Spirit -

30 White Light/White Heat The Velvet Underground -
Did She Mention My Name? Gordon Lightfoot -
From Sea to Shining Sea Johnny Cash -
Horizontal Bee Gees -
Lady Soul Aretha Franklin -
Movin' with Nancy Nancy Sinatra -
Now and Them Them -
Steppenwolf Steppenwolf -
Vincebus Eruptum Blue Cheer -

February

19 Once Upon a Dream The Rascals -
21 Child Is Father to the Man Blood, Sweat & Tears -
23 The Dock of the Bay Otis Redding Compilation
24 Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac -
The Beat Goes On Vanilla Fudge -
Francis A. & Edward K. Frank Sinatra and Duke Ellington -
We're Only in It for the Money The Mothers of Invention -

March

3 Eli and the Thirteenth Confession Laura Nyro -
6 The United States of America The United States of America -
The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter The Incredible String Band -
A Long Time Comin' Electric Flag -
The Move The Move -
Nefertiti Miles Davis -
Safe at Home The International Submarine Band -
Birthday The Association -
Scott 2 Scott Walker -
Song to a Seagull Joni Mitchell

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/09/2014 13:29:37
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  17:30:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Of course in the UK, where we tended to get American releases several months later, Forever Changes was a 1968 album - and it did chart quite highly. The same was true of another of the LPs on LK's list - The Notorious Byrd Brothers - that one, I think got to number 12 here having failed to make the top 50 in the US.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  18:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Of course in the UK, where we tended to get American releases several months later, Forever Changes was a 1968 album - and it did chart quite highly. The same was true of another of the LPs on LK's list - The Notorious Byrd Brothers - that one, I think got to number 12 here having failed to make the top 50 in the US.

Ahhh...probaly not a matter of timing, but rather a matter of good taste!... the UK had much better taste it would seem when it came to groundbreaking albums and bands. LoVE never really "made it" in the USA no matter when they released an LP--and the latter day Byrds were much more appreciated in the UK and Europe than over here. Same with Gene Clark..well we could name quite a few. How about the Pretty Things? --Huge in the UK, unknown here; same with Celia Black (unknown over here), Scott Walker...

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  21:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very kind of you to say so, LK - mind you there are some groups on your list that never really made it here......I'm especially thinking of The Association.

Edited by - John9 on 04/09/2014 21:21:44
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  21:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Very kind of you to say so, LK - mind you there are some groups on your list that never really made it here......I'm especially thinking of The Association.

Really?! The Association are an all time favorite of mine. For all their pop-ness on radio, their LPs were much more varied - often psychedelic and political. It's interesting to note that they were the LOUDEST band in LA in 1965 and if you look at their first album (And Then-Along Comes...) --on the back you will see a photo of a wall of amps behind the band, not quite as big as those Marshall stacks of the later 60's Cream or Blue Cheer, but they were pretty amped for 1965!...they rocked from what I've read.

-Aldous Huxley

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/09/2014 21:58:38
Go to Top of Page

Buffalo
Fourth Love

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  03:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are solid state (transistors) Jordan amps the ASSOCIATION are using, probably as a promotion. You can see Johnny Echols playing through a couple of Jordan amps in some Love live photos. Solid state was not very popular back then as musicians preferred the warm sound and tone range tubes allowed for. Nowadays solid state is the industry norm while tube amps are less available.

Re: Forever Changes eclipsed by Sgt. Pepper, keep in mind that the way a recording artist got the word out to the masses back in 1967-68 was via touring, promoting the album across the country with live gigs. Everyone but the Beatles had to do that. How else would deejays in middle America be aware of the album and play it or record-buyers look for it in record shops? With Forever Changes there was no band out there touring or promoting so who knew outside of southern California that the album existed? There was very little national music journalism. Jac Holzman said that when the debut Doors album was released the guys in the Doors would do whatever the label asked of them to promote it and play live but Love wouldn't. If you don't know that an album is released how can you be expected to buy it? That was the reality at that time.

Edited by - Buffalo on 07/09/2014 18:30:17
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  13:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buffalo

Those are solid state (transistors) Jordan amps the ASSOCIATION are using, probably as a promotion. You can see Johnny Echols playing through a couple of Jordan amps in some Love live photos. Solid state was not very popular back then as musicians preferred the warm sound and tone range tubes allowed for. Nowadays solid state is the industry norm while tube amps are less available.

Re: Forever Changes eclipsed by Sgt. Pepper, keep in mind that the way a recording artist got the word out to the masses back in 1967-68 was via touring. Promoting the album across the country with live gigs. Every but the Beatles had to do that. How else would deejays in middle America be aware of the album and play it or record-buyers look for it in record shops? With Forever Changes there was no band out there touring or promoting so who knew outside of southern California that the album existed? There was very little national music journalism. Jac Holzman said that when the debut Doors album was released the guys in the Doors would do whatever the label asked of them to promote it and play live but Love wouldn't. If you don't know that an album is released how can you be expected to buy it? That was the reality at that time.

So good to hear from you John. Any new books in the works? Back reading your marvelous Springfield bio....Scott

-Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page