New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  07:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be a real controversial topic that I just opened up, so if anyone wants to post please do not bash me or insult me in some way. I am not bashing Bryan in any shape or form so that is to clear up any misunderstanings.

I do not understand Bryan and his Christianity period of his life. I do not know if Bryan was devout or if it was a "phase" like how Bob Dylan was in the late 70s-early 80s. I mean I know he hit rock bottom in December '70 in New York City when he got drunk at some bar and fell down. I know he went back to LA and he stayed with his mom and his half sister Maria for a while. Did he write religious songs in the early 70s or secular songs or both. I know he was in Bible Study at some church in Santa Monica, then he owned some Christian nightclub. Didn't he know guys that were Contemporary Christian artists.

From what I've read on Bryan it appears the main drug he was addicted to was alcohol. I know he got into the whole Beverly Hills part scene in 68-70 and was into cocaine. Did he sober up in '70 from cocaine more than alcohol. It is vaguely stated by Bryan's mom in one interview that he had relapses. In the 80s when Maria was getting the attention and success he probably was really upset and probably was jealous I assume and probably got into more hard drinking then. Then again is there any thing written from 70-95 of Bryan(not counting the reunion thing with Arthur).

I don't get why none of Bryan's friends in the music business like David Crosby or any of the guys of the Byrds didn't help him out in the 70s. I mean I don't know if Bryan ticked all of those guys off or what. Also wasn't Bryan's step dad or even his real dad was from "old money", he could've at least sent Bryan to some good rehab place. I don't get the whole son and father relationship Bryan had with his dad.

Maybe Bryan had burnt bridges with his step dad or some of the people in the music business. Did Bryan have some arrogance he had? He might've got that from Arthur or something.

Bryan never labeled himself "an alcoholic". His sister was in some 12-step program in the 90s(I'll assume AA) but from what I read in an article he appeared to critized the whole 12-step ideology. I assume it was the spirituality side of it. Maybe Bryan went to some AA meeting in the 70s and he probably had a bad experience in it. We probably will never know since there is no record keeping in 12-step programs. Even in inteviews he did in the 90s he never described himself as a problem drinking, his mom vaguely uses terms to describe his addiction.

Even in the Book of Love Bryan's mom is hardly credited to saving his life. I mean read somewhere that Bryan went to Victory Outreach in '94-95. Bryan mentioned that in his letter to Arthur in '98. He described is as an "intensive rehab". I wonder if any of the guys at Victory Outreach knew of Bryan. I wonder why Bryan didn't mentioned that "My mom help me to get into rehab" in the letter. I mean at least give credit to the person that cared about you.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page