Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  13:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Creativity became secondary to MONEY. Elektra and Asylum..many small labels either were gobbled up by the big guys like Warner, or they just died out.

As you brought up 'money' in the biz... Right now, people don't by 'albums' as such now but simply songs. And I think that was because buyers were getting fed up paying alot for an album as the record co's just kept raising prices and stopped buying the cds.
heh now there should be a followup to this one....what 'killed' the music industry!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X19iZ4CyJf0

Another music great that is very vocal about allowing the free downloading of music is Janis Ian. Her opinion(along with many others, including Macca), and it holds up with greatly increased sales, is that those illegit & free downloads actually help get new artists exposure, and new albums some really good press; those bootleg d/ls fuel the industry & help the art, they do NOT drain it.

So the RIAA and Feds are completely wrong & misguided in their arrests of d/l moguls and attempts to squelch music sharing.

Criticism of the RIAA--Janis Ian

Ian is an outspoken critic of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), a record industry organization which she sees as acting against the interests of musicians and consumers. As such, she has willingly released several of her songs for free download from her website. Along with science fiction authors Eric Flint and Cory Doctorow, she has argued that their experience provides conclusive evidence that free downloads dramatically increased hard-copy sales, contrary to the claims of RIAA and NARAS. Ian's signature tune "At Seventeen" sold over two million singles in the United States alone yet was never certified.

"I've been surprised at how few people are willing to get annoyed with me over it," she laughs. "There was a little backlash here and there. I was scheduled to appear on a panel somewhere and somebody from a record company said if I was there they would boycott it. But that's been pretty much it. In general the entire reaction has been favorable. I hear from a lot of people in my industry who don't want to be quoted, but say 'yeah, we're aware of this and we'd like to see a change too.'"

Old hippies never die, they just ramble on.
-lk

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/05/2013 13:19:44
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2013 :  19:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there you go. It's like if they hear 'free' those music guys freak!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page