New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  12:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just beginning to get my head together after the gig at Norwich last night. It was a bit of a tedious drive from Sheffield back to Norfolk but as our holiday home is about half an hour's drive from from Norwich we decided to head there for some chill out time before heading off to the UEA.

This time we decided not to go too early (boring problems with my feet involving a New York sidewalk that mean they were hurting a bit!) and got there at about quarter to nine. We managed to get close to the front at the side and the band came on at about 10 past 9. After the first couple of songs Arthur said "It's not a church, you don't have to be quiet" which seemed to set the crowd alive and from then on in it was a fun night. I don't write down song titles but it was pretty much the same set as Sheffield with the addition of Orange Skies and She Comes In Colours - two of my favourites.

Arthur seemed to be enjoying himself - copying admirably with falling mic stands and a microphone that seemed to have "brewers droop"!

They performed another blistering version of Signed DC with Arthur dedicating it to Don Conka who died on the same day as his girlfriend's birthday - Arthur making the comment that "he could have waited another day!". Johnny played the guitar behind his head again and looked like he was enjoying being part of the group again.

After Singing Cowboy they came back and did 7 and 7 Is, having already played Clark and Hilldale earlier on in the set.

We didn't hang around too long - saw a few regulars and then headed of home so I don't know if the band came out for signing or anything.

Roll on Brighton tonight.

Love
Gill

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gill-nice review!! Sounds like the band is really enjoying themselves, which of course means the audience is too. Anxious to hear about Brighton.

Allan
Go to Top of Page

ogg
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  19:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1st time I saw Love last night. Blew me away, won't be the last time!

One of the high-lights was 'Signed DC', altho I didn't know the title till I read Gill's post. Amazing. Will that be on the new album?

Red Telephone great as well, I liked "They're locking him up today/Throwing away the key/I wonder who it'll be tomorrow/Tony Blair or me." :)

What was the song they did, seemed to be two songs in one, Something and Instant Karma?

Me and my mate got backstage and found Arthur, he was really chilled, signed mate's album sleeve and my ticket. I congratulated him on the amazing harmonica playing, asked about the new album he mentioned, and he said it's finished.

So how many times have you seen them, Gill? You follow them all around England?

Freedom!
Go to Top of Page

ogg
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  20:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh just found out what that song was. "Everybody's Gotta Live/Instant Karma."

I notice they sometimes do 'Smokestack Lightning', would have liked to see them do that last night.

Freedom!
Go to Top of Page

glen
First Love

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  21:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the Norwich gig last night, and it was just fantastic. Arthur was really on form, and Johnny Echols was superb. It was my first Love gig, but hopefully not my last. I was right at the front so had a fantastic view of the boys!

There was a song that was unfamiliar to me, though: it was the one that had the distorted bass guitar riff (the bass player used the same effect during during Singing Cowboy). Can anyone tell me what this was called?

Anyway, top night!

Go to Top of Page

trevor
First Love

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  23:02:12  Show Profile  Visit trevor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tht probably is "My flash on you". Its off the first album, called "Love, and has the apposite line "All I want in this world is to say I'm a man that's free". Check out the album you don't know it; they are playing 3/4 tracks off it right now, including "My Little Red Book", "Signed D.C." and "Can't Explain". Great stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Gill
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  13:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it's definitely worth checking out the first album, "Love" - the original version of Signed DC can be found on it although there are several other versions on other albums throughout the years. Glad that Ogg and Glen enjoyed your first Love experience!

Love
Gill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page