Sheffield
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  18:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After reading Brasseyes excellent review of Manchester, I reckon that last night's gig in my hometown was just as good, but with the apparent anger of that night being replaced with good vibes by the bucketful. Whereas previosly when Arthur has come to town I've got my ticket as soon as soon as they've gone on sale, on this occasion
I didn't, as, being greatly saddened by postings on the messageboard indicating struggles with a demon or two, I decided that I didn't want to see the Wreck of the Arthur Lee. Having been equally relieved by the reviews of this tour so far, indicating that these troubles had thankfully abated, I didn't want to tempt fate, and decided to risk waiting to see if there would be tickets left on the night. Having got a last minute passout from my poorly
wife, I went hot foot to the Leadmill, and am very, very glad that I did, as I reckon that last night's Love gig was the best of theirs that I've seen, which is really saying something.

I'll leave the setlist details to others, who will doubtless oblige, suffice to say that there were no suprises, and that everything played was spot on. Arthur was obviosly intent of making the most of the night, paricularily since he was forced to truncate the set on the last Leadmill visit through timing constraints imposed by the venue management due to a club night that followed. This time there was no such hassle and Love made the most of it. I got the prime spot beneath Arthur's mike stand, and the one lady who was nearer was able to lean over his monitor to see the setlist, which she reckoned was nineteen long, not including 7+7 is. the encore. One and three quarter hours of bliss, Arthur on top form in all respects and obviously very happy to be there, as was Johnny Echols. Previous assessments of him are spot on, both musically and as a person. File under Very Nice Man. He obviously really didn't want to steal Mike R's thunder in any way, and was just very glad to be sharing a stage again after all these years with his old friend and musical sparring partner, who said that he problably wouldn't have been there on stage had it not been for Johnny. It would have been lovely to see them standing playing shoulder to shoulder, but perhaps that's churlish. It was lovely to see them together, full stop. At the end it was all smiles as they left the stage, and Mike putting his arm round Arthur's shoulder, indicsted that it wasn't just the audience who thought that it had been a good night for Love.
I reckon that, from a recent correspondence on the messageboard re. tattoos that I may have been standing a couple of feet away from Caryne and, if so, there may have been Tina, Lizzy B and other Senior Boardees in the vicinity whose posts I've been reading for the last couple of years. If that's the case then sorry for not saying 'hi', I didn't want to interupt your obvious reverie at such an exceptional gig. Arthur wants to come back ASAP, yes, I WILL get my ticket in advance, and I believe that the Rutland Arms is not without its charms. Next time?
While not posting much on the messageboard, I do so more regularily on ITV's music pages on Teletext, Planet Sound. The fans review I submitted in Feb. '03 of the Hallam Uni. gig was made review of the week, ensuring four days coverage during that tour, and I've just sent in my eighty or so words about last night. If it gets used and some more people go through the turnstiles as a consequence then great. Gigs of last nights quality deserve to be sellouts.

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  20:30:31  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Posted my other Sheffield entry before reading this - great review MikeP. And yes we were all at the front, I was there with Lizzy, Gill, Caryne and Chris Jones (who I'm sure has some mighty fine photos) and some of the other usual suspects (Scottish Keith, Old Man). It was a brilliant gig - my last one was Liverpool last July which was not one of the best - a fantastic return to form.

And Arthur seems to have developed new PR skills!! He was out front signing autographs for ages after the gig, accompanied by Johnny - I now have both Arthur's and Johnny's autographs on my vinyl Da Capo sleeve!

And yes, we were in the Rutland Arms, which is a great pub.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  23:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tina, thanks for the review compliment. I'm so p****d off that I
missed Arthur and Johnny coming out front afterwards - I'd hoped that it would happen, and hung about till I hsd to dash for my last bus home. Guess that I may have just missed them. In my hurry to get to the Leadmil and be at the front of the queue for tickets I also forgot my copy of Vindicator, which I would be over the moon if Arthur signed. Seeing him do Everybody's Gotta Live on the Old Grey Whistle Test is what made me a fan of his music. Any other wrinklies remember that? I also wanted to shake Johnny's hand for such a fine performance, but giving him a double thumbs up as he walked off will have to do. Next time....I hope! Best Wishes, M
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page