Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Bobby V and Francona have switched jobs, as Francona has been hired as ESPN TV Analyst, Val;entine's old job.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  01:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

Looks like Bobby V and Francona have switched jobs, as Francona has been hired as ESPN TV Analyst, Val;entine's old job.

Ironic.

I am happy. Valentine has had some great success in Japan and he may be just what the Sox need....they need something to get them jump started. Maybe that false mustache when he is introduced is just the ticket!

I've come to believe that there is no sure bet....look at how the Sox won it all in 2004 with that band of jokesters.

I'm just dead, I'm not gone.
-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2012 :  21:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go again, Sox/Yanks tonight. Some say it don't have the same bite. But I think not.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  14:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a very sad, sad Red Sox season in what is usually a great rivalry...this weekend the Sox finally took a series vs the Yankees. Red Sox Nation goes wild....!

Both teams have pitching woes...those holes in their offenses may even catch up with the Yanks in the playoffs. The Sox are out of the race...oh well. They need a shake up!

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PCzH-K1hg
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2012 :  14:03:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmmm..you guys think Valentine can still get the Sox up either now in the next few seasons? Managing is a tough business. I wonder if he and the club are having a time dealing with 'distractions'.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  16:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hmmmm..you guys think Valentine can still get the Sox up either now in the next few seasons? Managing is a tough business. I wonder if he and the club are having a time dealing with 'distractions'.

I think valentine will be history after this season. He was probably always meant to just be the guy that takes the heat for ownership & a dysfunctional team, and then get who they really want next season. But hey, Valentine is making millions-so not a bad interim job! It must be frustrating though for Bobby, as ownership and some of team are just so negative towards him...never had a chance really.

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  14:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know you got to shore up the timbers before you can build a house. Frankly, it's weird to see the Bosox where they are right now. They deserve better but they're on a steep hill now and hopefully on a climb. Interesting..John Henry has another team like the Red Sox, i.e. Liverpool. A once great team either 1 or 2 now reduced now really to practically a mid-tier club over there in the UK. Looks like he's got 'twins' that need lots of attention.....
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  17:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget my fellow Bastillion of Beantown Baseball Bashers,the Sox always I repeat ALWAYS win it NEXT YEAR!!Evertime brother.Every frigen heartbreaking time....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  20:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Let's not forget my fellow Bastillion of Beantown Baseball Bashers,the Sox always I repeat ALWAYS win it NEXT YEAR!!Evertime brother.Every frigen heartbreaking time....

I'm a true Sox fan, but the players this year are just too whiney and entitled...yo get paid the big bucks we expect BIG play.
Excellence is expected...i know you can't win 'em all, but they just don't seem to have the heart thus year. I'm rooting for them!

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  15:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell you what,LK.In just about all of sports nowadays,there's just no or very little team and sporting city dedication and pride.A prime example of this for me was when formerly beloved catcher Johnny Damon defected over to the Evil Empire even after the Hometown Heroes quashed the dreaded Curse of the Bambino in '04.Everyone continues to follow the almighy dollar from city to city as the insidiously contagious behavior thrives to meltaway any barely breathing remaining elements of the values of ages gone by that sadly may never again materialize in a social atmosphere wallowing in its own made mire of convoluted values and communications discourse.In a nutshell,can you imagine the imminent horrors that would have ensued had we actually witnessed Larry Bird in a Lakers jersey just because the left coast squad extended a few more dead presidents to the equation?But HARK!!!Would have NEVER happened brother!Larry Legend thoroughly enjoyed extending the home town fandom every bit of his best-EVERY NIGHT!Before long,Bird was a working class hero who soon developed a rapore with his fans that he felt so passionate about,no lure of coin could loosen its grip on him.Johnny Damon on the other hand only exhibited for us all the callous shallowness inherent in those of questionable character and shameful disloyalty.

Edited by - captain america and billy on 08/08/2012 15:59:14
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  19:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few comments here. First Damon threw the ball in from center like a girl, no arm whatsoever. The Pinstripe tradition is as strong as ever. Do you think Jeter or Rivera will ever play anywhere else.
Posada chose to retire rather than go to another team. Yeah they may overpay for some, but most players would love to be a Yankee,
although there are exceptions. The strongest tradition of winning in all of sports.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah now we're getting to philosophy of sport and tradition. I'd agree with that Yankee winning tradition and I'm sure the Red Sox have it too. Only thing is sometimes things get in the way. The Yanks had their Waterloos too and the championship trough went empty. Boston looks like its going through a phase now. One thing I'll say is that in my opinion I think it could be harder to play ball here than at Boston. In NY, nothing less is expected than VICTORY in each and every game. It's like the fans want a WS ring every year! I don't live in Boston so I'm not so sure of that intensity.
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2012 :  16:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You really wanna get me started on the pressures of pleasing the dastardly Boston press?I'm sure things aren't much easier in New York for the players to be on perfectly harmonious terms with all the media nastiness there,but sometimes Beantowners make winning and pitching slumps seem blunders of epic,almost Biblical proportion.I don't mean to start a whole to do about the matter though.Most cities probably like to think that they indeed are the most loyal championship demanding fans.And of course today there's dual responsibility for the players.Baseball has become ligitimate entertainment industry fare as well as sport.When Johnny Damon was in town,girls swooned as if he were the star of their favorite nighttime soap opera.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  01:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's one difference, while Damon may have achieved rock star status in Beantown, he was just another Joe in pinstripes.
Currently, he is unemployed, but will probably get picked as a pinch hitter.
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2012 :  14:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a bit early but look out for the Rays sneaking up on everybody and making the playoffs again. The defense and hitting are finally catching up to the pitching and some injured players are coming back. Joe Maddon is the best manager in baseball IMO and Tampa seems to relish the underdog role.

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page