Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  13:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable finish to an incredible night of baseball. The Rays are part of a sports miracle coming from 7-0 down in 8th inning to triumph. Sox one strike away from winning and Papelbon just ran out of gas to complete the saga. And it was all happening at essentially the same time, but independent of each other. My hand is worn down from channel changing between three games (Braves collapse=)from approx 9:30 to midnight EST. Maybe the most exciting last day of the regular season ever. Once again, hats off to the Rays.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  14:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The commentators were right...greatest night of reg season baseball in history.....maybe baseball's the greatest game?!..
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  21:36:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was up till 2:30 AM just watching all the highlights and commentary. Indeed, an unequalled night of baseball of agony and curses to small miracles. I read in the Boston Globe "That's what you get for rooting for the Devil" WOW, what a sport.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  21:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poor Sox fans...Boston sports radio talk must be blistering today!

But what a night indeed! My good friend is a Yankee fan, so I have to wish the Yanks good luck! I'm not one of those crazy Sox fans...I even rooted for the Joe Torre team that won it all when he came back from cancer.

Philly will be tough...the team to beat, I think !

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2011 :  22:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was hoping for a one game playoff with Boston again, perhaps to rival the 1978 game with the Yanks and the Bosox, arguably one of the best games ever played (and the closest - it ended 5 to 4 with Yaz popping up against Gossage with the tying run on base!)
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2011 :  15:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Tito Francona's leaving town.Likely destination,Chicago.RUmour has it he's looking into the skipper position for either the Cubs or White Sox.Sad ending to a mostly glorious tenure here in Beantown.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  04:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard the Tito Francona interview tonite. It really was sad,
like the whole Boston thing just totally burned him out.
But he's all class.
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  15:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly THE toughtest town to be a manager/coach let alone player.Enormous criticism and pressure at the hands of the press and public when something goes wrong.The fact that its one of the best places to be for celebrations if you succeed makes it quite an emotional rollercoaster.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  17:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know it would be smart if Boston looks to the WHY of the downturn. They've got to learn something.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  18:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's easier to blame the Babe!

Ot maybe, Like Babe, they should put a fresh cabbage leaf under their caps between each inning to keep "COOL"!

-Tom Waits

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/10/2011 19:00:14
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  20:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know it would be smart if Boston looks to the WHY of the downturn. They've got to learn something.

Supposedly the team chemistry this year was horrible for the Sox. I read that Francona and Epstein were calling team meetings even when they were well ahead of the Rays in early September to try and quell arising problems. A poisonous clubhouse is something that is almost impossible to fix.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  20:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by underture

quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Supposedly the team chemistry this year was horrible for the Sox. I read that Francona and Epstein were calling team meetings even when they were well ahead of the Rays in early September to try and quell arising problems. A poisonous clubhouse is something that is almost impossible to fix.

You Set The Scene

I hope the wiz-kid, Theo, can fix it! We need the team like the one in '04....the insanity and fun is what kept them believing when no one else did! We need more like the caveman! Bearded long haired freaks!

Unfortunately Theo make be the next to go!!

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2011 :  21:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bleaches/Report.com

Terry Francona Fired:
Why the Red Sox Went Backward with This Choice

The Red Sox had one of the worst collapses in baseball history when they failed to make it to the playoffs. What does this mean now?

It means that someone has to go down as the scapegoat and that man was pointed out yesterday. The manager Terry Francona was fired.

The Red Sox let go of one of the best managers in baseball today.

Terry Francona won 744 games as manager of the Red Sox and only lost 552. This translates to a .574 winning percentage over his eight years.

That is a great managerial record. The big statistic that sticks out though is the two American League pennants and two World Series titles he brought back to Boston.

Terry Francona brought the first World Series to Boston since 1918.

This makes him a legend who should only have to hang it up when he chooses to.

The Red Sox picked the wrong scapegoat. The people that really should be taking the blame are the ones that play the game.

Terry Francona did nothing wrong during the collapse. He made choices that put the Sox in positions to win.

The players are the ones that did not execute. The starting pitching especially broke down.

The starters were not giving the team enough innings. They were getting into trouble early on in the games and putting Francona in a bind,

He had to pull the pitchers and rely upon his bullpen. This is a tough thing to ask for because this means for the rest of the game Francona had to piece it all together and that is what he did.

Terry Francona made the right choices but he cannot dictate what is going to happen.

The firing of Terry Francona is a huge setback for the Red Sox and the organization are the ones who did it.

Now they must search for a new manager and there is no hope of getting one that is as good or as knowledgeable about the organization as Terry Francona.

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  14:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow....

You know I'm oftwo minds here. I feel bad that TF got the heave. He defintiley had to be a fine manager and really cared for his players and team. Problem is that doesn't count when an enterprise fails like Boston did. Ulitmately someone has to be responsible and that's the manager. The collapse happened under his watch. Maybe not fair to some but that's the way it is. How do you guys feel? Did he get the shaft???
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  16:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll say it again, there is no fairness in baseball. The Sox had no choice, none at all. All past accomplishments are irrelevant after
the collapse. And yes I do think he should be held accountable.
Should the Yanks lose to Detroit, fans and media will be asking for Girardi's head.

But then reality hits, not just anyone can handle managerial functions for a huge sports team.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page