Nowhere Boy soundtrack
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  04:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good film (though to devout Beatle fans we all know this - Paul was comforted by Julia on his mother Mary dying, John's Aunt Mimi was cold, Julia helped teach her son chords)
but the soundtrack is well worth picking up - with Rocket 88 and early Beatles/Quarrymen trax (Maggie May, In spite of all the danger)

Its clear to me that if John hadn't had the Beatles making it big however he would've become a criminal. He had never had a day job, he flunked all his O levels, no future at the art college, there was nothing else he could've done

Unless it was to go off to sea like his father, who had a miserable life himself

Gotta look forward to Lewisohn's biography on the band in September!

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  15:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I am an admirer ofJohn,his music and all of his efforts to promorte world peace,your supposition of a possible life path among dregs is actually and sadly distinctly possible.I'm sure Liverpool with all of its poor and frustrated residents of John's time produced several such individuals.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  15:29:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always think of the time that John tried to rob someone when they were in Hamburg (the turning point for the band, though they didn't know it at the time; at the time they felt it a failure cos it ended so igonimously!)

John could be said to be one of the luckiest men in the world. IF he hadn't found help from Cyn to bluff his way through art college, IF he hadn't met McCartney and started to learn chords from him (at the time he was playing banjo chords)

so many things could've gone wrong. I mean it wasn't like anyone in the band had day jobs!

certainly helped to book them at noon at the Cavern undoubtedly!
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  15:44:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But you see,John took those lucky breaks and paid it back in tremendous Karmic value through his promotions of benvolance.The wise man that he was,he didn't foolishly look the gift horse in the mouth.If more people would recognize this form of Karmic essence,we'd all be living in a much more liberated co-existence with one another.All evil would not be banished,but at least we might be ably to peer through the cloud cover with a bit more clarity.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  21:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he COULD write a decent song..

Love is real, real is love...

Wouldn't have wanted to be his first wife (Cynthia) though

Or his firstborn (Jules)

him sending Magic Alex along to divorce with Cyn on the grounds of adultery on her part (and then having Alex try to seduce her) when Yoko was pregnant with his kid (and Yoko was still married to another man, Cox!)

Christ

And don't get me started on Pete Best. Or Stu. Their lives would've been better if they had never even HEARD of the Beatles (though thats not necessarily John's fault. Pete was sacked when he learned he had knocked up Cyn, and I'm sure he had other concerns at the time. It seems that George brought in Ringo to replace Pete

And of course theres talk of Stu getting his head kicked in by John in a rage, which probably is false; but then, who knows? they were lucky to get out of Hamburg without any fights

The only members that fought (Paul/Stu) on stage were the most peaceful.
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as John's inner demons being presented here in clear juxtaposition with his songwriting penchant,Lennon himself summed it all up best when he said 'Genius is pain".
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  16:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Lennon bashing is a bit much here lately.....his childhood alone would do it: absent Father figure, five "mothers", his mum being run down & killed while walking home from Auntie's where Johnny was living, acting out childhood stuff....all a bad start to life. (and how do we know Mimi was "cold"...we weren't there for the most intimate moments...cold exteriors can belie the warmth within) And as we know most of our genius heroes have deep emotional issues, without which their genius may not have revealed itself. You know, you gotta live the blues to play the blues type of thing.

Besides what's the point in bashing Mr Lennon; with our glass houses n'all. He is textbook about his relationships--absent Father, absent Mum, losing Mummy Dear at 17...a relationship with any woman would be uneasy at best....fear of abandonment brings on all kids of problems ...fear of intimacy.

These are all just guesses on my part, but we love Johnny for his music--all a part of who he was inside. We all have friends who we love but who are assholes, yet somehow in the end they win us back because they are real and good at the core. Besides, all that is written ABOUT Lennon is not BY Lennon, but by some who may have some underlying motives or...who cares anyway.

It's about the music dudes!!

All we need's love....Johnny too.

OK...stick a fork in me.....

Edited by - lemonade kid on 24/05/2011 16:31:53
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  14:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, Cyn's book doesn't paint a very nice portrait of Mendips. It must've been utter hell to have to live there. You can see why John gravitated towards his mother the free spirit

That being said though, Mimi was well read, there were a lot of books in the household, and its due to Mimi pushing him AGAINST music and telling John he could never make a living at music that he went for it

He had no other option at that point of course; he had already been sacked from the art college!
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  15:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most entertainment admirers in this country,or at least a good number of them,tend to make sheer martyrs out of the ones whose works they admire most.Sometimes,I think maybe we'er all guilty of building or images of them up to just about infallible idol status.When we discover through various biographical publiccations that they are indeed just as flawed as most of us and even more flawed than some,our tendencies to exist vicariously through them suddenly become poisoned with the notion that we have been somewhat duped and that our own created image of them that has become duly shattered was some sort of deliberately porported scam.While some celebrity PR employees ahve been hugely responsibly for inflating the sale of their clients to the American public,it is ultimately our own fault that at times we actually SEE them as deities of human incarnations.This perspeective as it peratins to original American Beatle fans from 1964 was of course originally proposed by members of the press who dutifuilly drilled ti into people's minds that the Fabs were simple precocious boys next door every girl's mom should want them to marry.In light of many later Lennon tomes,sounds more like one wouldn't know what to expect from him emotionally on an almost moment to moment basis,But this is NOT a bash.This is but confirmation of John's place in the HUMAN world.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page