New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2011 :  22:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we got into one of my favorite drummers and musical STARS, so I took it out of "Literature......"

& moved it here....let loose here if you like!

Drumming skills

While Starr himself has been the first to acknowledge the technical limitations of his drumming for The Beatles, the overall effect of his contribution has received high praise from notable drummers. Starr said, "Whenever I hear another drummer I know I'm no good. I'm no good on the technical things [...] I'm your basic offbeat drummer with funny fills. The fills were funny because I'm really left-handed playing a right-handed kit. I can't roll around the drums because of that."[1] Martin's version was, "Ringo hit good and hard and used the tom-tom well, even though he couldn't do a roll to save his life", although Martin later added, "He's got tremendous feel. He always helped us to hit the right tempo for a song, and gave it that support — that rock-solid back-beat — that made the recording of all The Beatles' songs that much easier."[1] Lennon, asked if Starr was the best drummer in the world, jokingly replied, "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles!",[49] but also said, "Ringo's a damn good drummer. He always was a good drummer. He's not technically good, but I think Ringo's drumming is underrated the same way as Paul's bass playing is underrated."[1] McCartney sent Starr a postcard on 31 January 1969 (the day after the band's performance on the roof of Apple Studios) stating: 'You are the greatest drummer in the world. Really.' This postcard is included in Starr's book Postcards from the Boys.[50]

Drummer Steve Smith extolled Starr's qualities beyond the technical, in terms of his musical contribution as drummer:
“ Before Ringo, drum stars were measured by their soloing ability and virtuosity. Ringo's popularity brought forth a new paradigm in how the public saw drummers. We started to see the drummer as an equal participant in the compositional aspect. One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles' songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song.[2] ”

Phil Collins, the drummer for Genesis, who was himself influenced by Starr, said:
“ Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do.[51][52] ”

In September 1980, John Lennon had this to say about Starr:
“ Ringo was a star in his own right in Liverpool before we even met. He was a professional drummer who sang and performed and had Ringo Starr-time and he was in one of the top groups in Britain but especially in Liverpool before we even had a drummer. So Ringo's talent would have come out one way or the other as something or other. I don't know what he would have ended up as, but whatever that spark is in Ringo that we all know but can't put our finger on — whether it is acting, drumming or singing I don't know — there is something in him that is projectable and he would have surfaced with or without The Beatles. Ringo is a damn good drummer.[53] ”

Many drummers acknowledge Starr as an influence, including Steve Gorman of The Black Crowes, Dave Grohl of Nirvana, Jen Ledger of Skillet, Max Weinberg of the E Street Band, Danny Carey of Tool, Liberty DeVitto of Billy Joel's band, Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden, Eric Carr of Kiss, Phil Rudd of AC/DC, Orri Páll Dýrason of Sigur Rós,[54] the former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, Pedro Andreu of Heroes del Silencio and others.[52]

In his extensive survey of The Beatles' recording sessions, Mark Lewisohn confirmed that Starr was both proficient and remarkably reliable and consistent. According to Lewisohn, there were fewer than a dozen occasions in The Beatles' eight-year recording career where session 'breakdowns' were caused by Starr making a mistake, while the vast majority of takes were stopped owing to mistakes by the other three members.[52] Starr is considered to have influenced various modern drumming techniques, such as the matched grip, placing the drums on high risers for visibility as part of the band, tuning the drums lower, and using muffling devices on tonal rings.
-wiki

A Day In The Life...drumming like a drummer in a symphony orchestra here!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

Always willing to go along with the image of himself a kind of joke...we love ya Ringo!

(did crosby steal this iconic image from Ringo?!...with a few embellishments))

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/05/2011 23:10:19

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  15:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody of the school of opinion that Starr waas just an exrtemely fortunate bit player in the Fabs and that his parts could have been any number of drummers available in Liverpool or England for that matter is obviously either not listening closley enough,doesn't quite understand the intracacies of chemistry in team dynamics,or both.Do these people have any idea how professional and prodigous one has to be for selection into ANY Paul McCartney band?Apparently not.EvenRingo himself has stated that he has chosen never to take the stage with McCartney again simply because of Sir Paul's tireless perfectionist instruction.Paul and John Lennon would give Richie very precise details of EXACTLY the feel THEY felt they needed for their tunes and a rift between Paul and Ringo over these matters caused RIngo to quit the Beatles for two weeks during the sessionsfor the White Album.Ringo held down a mighty forthright backbeat right from the start and bore the massive burden of having to further develop his skills as writing became more and more complex,mnosts notably from "Revolver" onwards.But there in the Lennon and McCartney shadow,the fourth member never really received full recognition of his achievenents from many fans.The same goes for bandmate and lead guitarist George Harrison.As far as I'm concerned,only in death did most people listen deeply enough to caapture the full scope of contributions from the quiet one.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  19:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And for me, he held up quite well, thank ou, as a solo artist!

This one always gets me off!

IT DON"T COME EASY....still looking for some respect!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZfAik7wP8U

I love Ringo's voice.

I love this one...and it got airplay in Phoenix all the time...must not have been top 40 radio!!

No No Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gq8U8em5jM&NR=1&feature=fvwp

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  21:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaarggh! i realy enjoyed hearing "Easy" AGAIN...AND THEN WENT AND SPOILT IT BY LISTENING TO THE "NO NO song"...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  23:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

Aaarggh! i realy enjoyed hearing "Easy" AGAIN...AND THEN WENT AND SPOILT IT BY LISTENING TO THE "NO NO song"...

So how about a litte "Back Off Boogalo"! RIngo always had the best back up musicians...when with the Beatles and without!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWlzmhxh9G4

Photograph....amazing! Ringo & Barbara together always...he must be a good guy for Barbara to hang around so long! Since "Caveman"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6CMSuT98-E&feature=related

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2011 :  23:36:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by ALLANAGAIN

So how about a litte "Back Off Boogalo"! RIngo always had the best back up musicians...when with the Beatles and without!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWlzmhxh9G4

Photograph....amazing! Ringo & Barbara together always...he must be a good guy for Barbara to hang around so long! Since "Caveman"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6CMSuT98-E&feature=related

Ringo and Johnny...Ringo was good friends with all the other Beatles despite the others sometimes feuds with wach other.

Johnny and Ringo always seemed good mates.

Only you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6y4uY1WvTA&feature=related

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  14:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..that's a great song!...

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  15:05:22  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
" Beaucoups Of Blues" 1970, the Nashville album, has Pete Drake and Ben Keith on pedal steel! Ringo is a natural for country music, and this album is my favorite Ringo album.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2011 :  15:14:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can see Ringo's 1978 NBC tv special "Ringo" on YouTUbe.Special appearances by Art Carney,Angie Dickinson and John Ritter.I saw it when it was oeiginally telecast when I was nine.Kind of a gas!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  14:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coochie Coochie is in ONE key (E major!)
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  15:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the oft-overlooked 1974 Billboard top five novelty Hoyt Axton penned "No No Song".I know its the kind of thing that some might say could have been anybody,but somehow it sounds as though it could only have been Ringo,almost as though he had written it.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  16:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Don't forget the oft-overlooked 1974 Billboard top five novelty Hoyt Axton penned "No No Song".I know its the kind of thing that some might say could have been anybody,but somehow it sounds as though it could only have been Ringo,almost as though he had written it.

I like it too...sorry Allan!

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  16:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was about to ask how come the apology to Allan,then I read his post about his disdain for "No No Song".Maybe I can understand some didn't care for a Beatle getting a hit off a novelty,but then on the other hand,what about "Yellow Submarine"?Here's the greatest band of all time doing the genre for an English number one and an American number two!Stateside,the single was kept out of the ple position by Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" on the September 5,1966 Billboard Hot 100.How's THAT for research!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page