Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  00:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good album. Didn't know it saw a review in Billboard - I guess a friend of Paul's got ahold of it

Its a good album, probably the best release of Arthurs from the 70s
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  13:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen, brother Thomas, beautifully said!

quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

Why release Black Beauty? Wow such a silly question in my estimation.

I would say release it because its a really solid solo album from Arthur Lee that was never given a proper release, its a document that actually ages well and a cleaned up copy of those 10 or 11 songs would be a welcomed addition to the canon of what is already out there.

There is no Johnny Echols on the album, the hodge podge that everyone seems to be talking about is just a bunch of random tracks thrown together with the actual Black Beauty album, which by the way never came out because Michael Butler decided he didn't care to go forward with his new Buffalo record label.

Arthur and company had already been paid and by 1973 Arthur wasn't the same artist he was say....in 1967 or so. It got a positive review in Billboard during 1973 which is ironic considering Vindicator was panned and Black Beauty never saw an official release.

As for the original artwork the proposed artwork according to Robert Rozelle was a painting of a nude black woman, and Arthur later decided to not go that route due to not wanting to offend black women. The painting was given to Robert, who was at some point evicted from an apartment in the 70s, and the painting was set out on the street, and he never found it to be that big of a priority at that time.

All of those random songs are simply recordings from all eras. I don't see why anyone would assume that would be a part of a Black Beauty album since, they are not from those sessions.

Personally I applaud Diane for getting the music out there, and it should be spread around, people need to make peace with the fact that the original Love only put out three albums, it was over 40 years ago. The dudes that played on Black Beauty are a part of the Love canon and should be recognized.

cheers,
Thomas

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  17:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so Black Beauty was down to Paul Rothchild signing Arthur to his label Buffalo?

I wonder if it was going to be a solo album? Arthur did a Love album the next year (Reel to Real - quite good!)
but there doesn't seem to be any repeat material on both albums
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  18:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WIth Robert's passing it is even more timely and a way to honor Robert, and Arthur.

The boot IS called Black Beauty and Assorted Rarities....& the rarities will go away I assume,
but the inclusion of Feathered Fish would be nice as a bonus as it is a great song.
I mostly skip the random tracks when I give a listen anyway.

I hadn't known until a few days ago that Rozelle had attended Dorsey High with Arthur
and Johnny, though Johnny wasn't closely acquainted with Robert. Black Beauty is a
kind of full circle for LOVE now, it seems....I agree that it is a strong effort and has
some guitar real rockers.

Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  21:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When an artist goes out of his way to "diss" a particular project, uses the acetates as coasters, tells any one who would listen, that he hated Black Beauty. Then it would seem to me, in my most humble opinion, maybe those in charge might want to consider the feelings of said artist. Arthur had several opportunities, to be a part of a revived, Black Beauty project when he was alive, he, and I repeat [He] absolutely refused to have any part in what he called "polishing a turd." No matter what I, or anyone else thinks about it, again in my opinion, the artist should always have the last word. Those who claim to be such huge fans of Arthur, and the group Love, should be the first to say " LET'S RESPECT THE MAN'S WISHES!"
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  00:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know - Love Lost isn't the best album out there, nor is Arthur Lee (from Rhino Records, 1980 - the one with the pathetic cover)

It kinda reminds me of the Blackadder sketch Cavalier Years, where they're trying to save the King from Cromwell and Blackadder is forced to attempt one of Baldricks plans: when they're beheading the king they hold up a pumpkin with a pathetic moustache and claim it to be him!

Well, thats the 1980 Rhino album - thats the one with the pathetic cover, where Arthurs given a guitar in front of a ghastly backdrop.

clearly a labor of love for Rhino, who apparently had no budget left for a decent cover!

Got 3 stars in Rolling Stone, curiously, though its not the best Love album

Nor is it the worst

Black Beauty isn't the worst either. I mean, Love DID release a wretched track like "Revelation" at their creative peak while they were on Elektra, so maybe Arthur wasn't the best judge of his own stuff

Quite a lot of the New Rose album is appalling, and even a few tracks on Vindicator are throwaway, and Vindicator is FUN

Helps if you play it loud of course!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  00:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

When an artist goes out of his way to "diss" a particular project, uses the acetates as coasters, tells any one who would listen, that he hated Black Beauty. Then it would seem to me, in my most humble opinion, maybe those in charge might want to consider the feelings of said artist. Arthur had several opportunities, to be a part of a revived, Black Beauty project when he was alive, he, and I repeat [He] absolutely refused to have any part in what he called "polishing a turd." No matter what I, or anyone else thinks about it, again in my opinion, the artist should always have the last word. Those who claim to be such huge fans of Arthur, and the group Love, should be the first to say " LET'S RESPECT THE MAN'S WISHES!"

KD: Hey GM. I agree with this TO A POINT. Remember, Kafka's will explicitly stated that ALL of his unreleased manuscripts, diaries
and writing be burned upon his death. His executor thought this one through and thought the public needed to read / hear this exrordinary artist. The rest is literary history with some of Kafka's most famous work (The Trial, etc) having survived the bonfire !

Free the writing !
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  03:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey KD, Not having Kafka's full body of work, would have been tragic. Destroying it, would have been even more tragic. In fact it would have been criminal! However that is not the case here. All the songs from Black Beauty, have been widely available for many years. This will be just another repackaged version, of the same music, (music that Arthur hated, and did not want released.) There's nothing new here, and as I've said. When an artist has such strong feelings against, a particular project. Maybe he should have at least some say, concerning his own legacy!

Let me pose a slightly different question, in the same vein: Suppose an artist has worked on an album for many years. He finishes it to his satisfaction, and is pleased with the results. He passes away before it is released. Now individuals, seeking to cash in on the popularity of another album, and who had absolutely no input in the creation of this music. Decide to change that music, by adding strings and horns and other bells and whistles, that the artist would never have approved of. In some cases, discarding tracks he had selected, and going with takes that are vastly different from the ones he had chosen. Would that be acceptable?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  04:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my feeling is that the more people hear of Love the better

Christ on a bike though! lets hope that people who pick up on Black Beauty through reading of it in Rolling Stone or hearing of it online
pick up on Forever Changes!

Listened to the first few songs on Forever Changes last night, the first I've listened to the album in several months. Still holds up pretty fine!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  21:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let me pose a slightly different question, in the same vein: Suppose an artist has worked on an album for many years. He finishes it to his satisfaction, and is pleased with the results. He passes away before it is released. Now individuals, seeking to cash in on the popularity of another album, and who had absolutely no input in the creation of this music. Decide to change that music, by adding strings and horns and other bells and whistles, that the artist would never have approved of. In some cases, discarding tracks he had selected, and going with takes that are vastly different from the ones he had chosen. Would that be acceptable?

KD: Sounds like Jimi's postumous career ! At least during the Alan Douglas years.
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2011 :  23:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  02:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

didnt Arthur say that he didnt like Forever Changes? Probably was joking.

its already out there, maybe the estate can benefit instead of the bootleggers. In my opinion of course.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  04:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur was full of it
Must've felt terrible having peaked at 21!

Hes saying nonsense that the Four Sail band dissed Forever Changes, hence why they went electric

Arthur just couldn't repeat perfection, and his band split cos of the drugs, the money hassles, and so forth

Its cool he went on with music, but maybe he shouldn't have been calling it Love. I mean it was clearly something completely different (and not necessarily in a good way!)
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  05:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love put it all on the line with Forever Changes. Arthur gave the project the very best songs he had, and they all expected it would be a huge success. It had to be tough, to put your heart and soul in an album, and have it fail to go very far on the charts. Of course he would try and save face, by dismissing it.

After what was considered a failure at the time, he gave up trying to push the envelope, and returned to safe pedestrian songs. That only made things worse for him. When the critics finally discovered Forever Changes, everything he did, was compared to it. Everyone wanted more songs like that. But It was too late to return to that style, because his group was in the wind. Bad timing, bad luck, or bad Karma!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  06:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
imagine it as a double album!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: