Page: of 5

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  14:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

Love put it all on the line with Forever Changes. Arthur gave the project the very best songs he had, and they all expected it would be a huge success. It had to be tough, to put your heart and soul in an album, and have it fail to go very far on the charts. Of course he would try and save face, by dismissing it.

After what was considered a failure at the time, he gave up trying to push the envelope, and returned to safe pedestrian songs. That only made things worse for him. When the critics finally discovered Forever Changes, everything he did, was compared to it. Everyone wanted more songs like that. But It was too late to return to that style, because his group was in the wind. Bad timing, bad luck, or bad Karma!

geez! Cant the same thing be said about Black Beauty? He put all that effort and ended up not being released for reasons outside his control?
His group was in the wind, thats for sure.

I say release. I like it.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  16:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Arthur was full of it
Must've felt terrible having peaked at 21!

Hes saying nonsense that the Four Sail band dissed Forever Changes, hence why they went electric

Arthur just couldn't repeat perfection, and his band split cos of the drugs, the money hassles, and so forth

Its cool he went on with music, but maybe he shouldn't have been calling it Love. I mean it was clearly something completely different (and not necessarily in a good way!)

most of those post FC records outsold FC. it became perfect long after the fact at the time it was viewed as something thats time had passed. folk rock was pasee, acid rock the thing to do.

Maybe if the other memebers would have been able to keep their thing together, he would kept the original band going. even if he had kept the original group, the music would have taken a turn away from the FC sound. But i guess they left for greener pastures( still trying to get the date for those JE-Miles 'sessions')
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  18:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
False Start did pretty well, undoubtedly cos of the Hendrix connection (he played on it, see, though thats Noony Ricketts band on the cover!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:56:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LoVE WAS Arthur. It was his band, no matter the personnel, and any of his musical efforts would always be about LoVE. The original band was no longer Love for Arthur...the drugs, the stealing instruments to pawn for drugs.....there just wasn't any Love left.

We sometimes mourn the loss of the MacLean/Echols Love, but if they had stayed together they would possibly have become passe and old, and we would be saying they should have stopped after FC or Four Sail or whatever., & the legend of LoVE would not be as majestic as it is.

We have what we have in LoVE, but it is our nature to want more and better. We have LoVE, no matter, and we are grateful. If Diane feels she should release Black Beauty....great! She knew Arthur better than anyone and stuck with him (even though she sometimes broke away for a time, she was there when he needed her)....so she has the right, and she has her reasons.

We really know nothing about Arthur's true desires...he was all over the map about his music, one year to the next. He didn't come round to FC for decades and maybe he would have come round to embrace all phases of his music. He is like Tim Buckley....as soon as one album was recorded, he was throwing off the old and embracing the new, because he was an artist...that's what they do if they are truly ARTISTS.

Out of respect for Arthur, we ought to respect Diane, and her decisions with Arthur's Love.

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  21:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes LK....if there was ever a person for whom the word enigma was devised, then it was Arthur Lee. Black Beauty has over the years, acquired the status of a legend....largely of course because it has never been officially released. I first heard the album on a bootleg cassette that I had bought on the market at London's Camden Lock back in the 80s. Sometimes though I think that the relentless drive for more and more unreleased material can reduce the mystique of a great band or artist....especially if the music in question comes from a period that was unspectacular, creatively. But I agree.....it has to be Diane's decision.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page