Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  00:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, don't expect too much from the Rhino release - the best songs on it are actually covers! (with a decent songwriter like Arthur Lee this is indeed a troubling sign)

and one could wish for a stylus size scratch going across the version of "Seven and Seven Is"
which is ... YIKES!

Didn't Arthur write "My Anthem" in five minutes after a Mojo interview? Probably his worst song; theres no melody to speak of!

just listening to the 3 2cd volumes of the Beatles Anthology Outtakes boots - good stuff. One and One is Two - good original Paul!
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  02:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  15:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well theres "Nice to be" , the retread of "Seven and Seven is" with synthesizers, the wretched "Beep beep", "Talking in my sleep"
and (of course) "Revelation" - all 18 minutes 20 seconds of that track (in mono OR in stereo!)

Appalling that they used up a whole album side with that garbage!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  15:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not "Nice to be" - meant another track !
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  22:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opinionated, aren't you Joe.... I mostly agree with you, accept for Revelation. Get past the jerky cuts, and listen to the music. It's there, you just have to move past your long held distaste, and hear it
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2011 :  23:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

Opinionated, aren't you Joe.... I mostly agree with you, accept for Revelation. Get past the jerky cuts, and listen to the music. It's there, you just have to move past your long held distaste, and hear it

Agreed, gatemouth....Revelation is an historical piece in the epicenter of the Love Catalog and a show stopper. We are lucky to have this!

Hasn't anyone realized that without Da Capo we would have no document of this track that Johnny says was so popular that LoVE could play on for a whole set, with the audience going wild throughout. Whether we call it "John Lee Hooker" or "Revelation", without it we would be crying for just one recording of it, no matter how poor the audience recording! Revel in Revelation....give LoVE a chance.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  00:35:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its unlistenable

can't imagine most Love fans have listened to it for a while. Really arrogant of a band just to plunk down a jam in E minor (for close to 20 minutes) as an album side

Didn't even happen on Out Here with all those rubbish 10 minute guitar solos (Love is more than words) and rubbish drum solos (Doggone)

You can see why Holzman gave those tracks a pass
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  00:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking up a whole side was not arrogant. It was brave. It had
been a tremendous success but should have gone on vinyl LIVE and uncut. COuld have been better, but I LoVE it.

The Stones were so impressed hearing it at Brave New world, they did
a long blues number themselves on their album.

Ok...so you are unable to give it a chance; you are rigid.
I listen to from time to time...every few months.

Does that make me NOT a LoVE fan?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/01/2011 00:44:27
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  02:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, get off your "low horse" and give the jam a chance, without "John Lee Hooker," aka Revelation, there most likely would not have been a group called Love. That's how important this one song was, in the early success of the group. Folks came from all over just to hear them play it!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  10:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Revelation is an exciting and visionary piece. It should be reserved for special occasions.....just like a fine wine. And recently I've listened once again to the unedited versions of Doggone and Love Is More Than Words...and I'm really glad I did. Exceptionally strong melodies both that are enhanced by the instrumental passages.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2011 :  17:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Revelation is an exciting and visionary piece. It should be reserved for special occasions.....just like a fine wine. And recently I've listened once again to the unedited versions of Doggone and Love Is More Than Words...and I'm really glad I did. Exceptionally strong melodies both that are enhanced by the instrumental passages.

Yep, as a drummer I always enjoy a good jam.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  01:24:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck listening to all of it - I'll take the edited "Doggone" on Studio/Live. Its a great song
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  05:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

I saw Arthur do this song a few times on the UK FC tour in 2003, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece (my son liked it but he was only 7 at the time!!)

i thought it was pretty good, i wouldnt mind a studio version.

as for Black Beauty why not release and let the fans listen if they so wish? the first 3 records have been released and rerelease ad nausea um, release all.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2011 :  16:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to Revelation - the reason the band cut one side of an album was NOT brave I think. I think it was because they were upset with Elektra

Did the band ever do the track live after Arthur got out of jail? and did Echols sing it?

Christ I hope they shortened it, otherwise people would be just taking off to the bar!

Can you imagine how a 20 minute live Revelation would be received? everyone was there to see the Forever Changes tracks being played live for the first time in ages!

Its why I saw them in NYC and in Brooklyn, and by Brooklyn there was even an orchestra to play Forever Changes!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2011 :  23:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Why release Black Beauty? Wow such a silly question in my estimation.

I would say release it because its a really solid solo album from Arthur Lee that was never given a proper release, its a document that actually ages well and a cleaned up copy of those 10 or 11 songs would be a welcomed addition to the canon of what is already out there.

There is no Johnny Echols on the album, the hodge podge that everyone seems to be talking about is just a bunch of random tracks thrown together with the actual Black Beauty album, which by the way never came out because Michael Butler decided he didn't care to go forward with his new Buffalo record label.

Arthur and company had already been paid and by 1973 Arthur wasn't the same artist he was say....in 1967 or so. It got a positive review in Billboard during 1973 which is ironic considering Vindicator was panned and Black Beauty never saw an official release.

As for the original artwork the proposed artwork according to Robert Rozelle was a painting of a nude black woman, and Arthur later decided to not go that route due to not wanting to offend black women. The painting was given to Robert, who was at some point evicted from an apartment in the 70s, and the painting was set out on the street, and he never found it to be that big of a priority at that time.

All of those random songs are simply recordings from all eras. I don't see why anyone would assume that would be a part of a Black Beauty album since, they are not from those sessions.

Personally I applaud Diane for getting the music out there, and it should be spread around, people need to make peace with the fact that the original Love only put out three albums, it was over 40 years ago. The dudes that played on Black Beauty are a part of the Love canon and should be recognized.

cheers,
Thomas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page