New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  18:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just come across a disc that i have no info. for.
It,s def, Baby Lem playing, what really struck me was a version of "Smokestack Lightening" wich ends the set, before the encore.
I really had no idea i had LOVE doing this song.
Arthur also mentions having Johny Echolls, as a suprise guest. ????
Does anyone know the where and when please?

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  23:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The disc you heard was "Love" at the House of Blues in Hollywood California. They played there in the summer of 2003. Don Conka and Johnny Echols played Smokestack Lightning, at the end of the show.

At the conclusion of the tape, you can hear Johnny Echols "Razzing" Don to play with more conviction. It seem's that Don had a case of stage fright, this being one of the first times he had played in front of an audience in many years. "Poor Conka," It was bad enough being so up-tight. Having Echols on his case, could not have helped!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
It's better to have what you don't want, than to want what you can't have

GMM

Edited by - gatemouthmoore on 29/08/2010 03:43:55
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  01:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
audio I'm assuming

Didn't Blue Castle release Smokestack Lightning to dvd as well. I'm fairly sure the Youtube video for SL is on the ArthurLee.com site
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  11:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

The disc you heard was "Love" at the House of Blues in Hollywood California. They played there in the summer of 2005. Don Conka and Johnny Echols played Smokestack Lightning, at the end of the show.

I think you may have the year wrong and it was 2003, this gig:
http://love.torbenskott.dk/tour2003/20030819_hob.asp

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

audio I'm assuming

Didn't Blue Castle release Smokestack Lightning to dvd as well. I'm fairly sure the Youtube video for SL is on the ArthurLee.com site

Yes they did. I saw what was listed as the CD of the gig advertised on ebay and got it for a very reasonable price, IIRC I was the only bidder, sold by someone from Wales who had bought it at a gig.

When the package arrived I found it was a DVD.

The version of Smokestack Lightning played at the gig is not on the DVD, "due to an unfortunate miscalculation of the estimated length of the performance" it was not shot.

As a bonus, and with their apologies, BlueCastle included an extended version of Smokestack Lightning from a rehearsal room in Hollywood two days before the gig. This was the first time Johnny Echols and Don Conka had played together for over thirty years.

They say on the sleevenotes that a soundboard of the gig was also available which is what Allan has.

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  13:17:48  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Castleblue also released LOVE,, at the Henry Fonda Theater , December 27 2003. Echols/ Smokestack Lightning is on it. I was at the show. That last song jammed on forever !

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  13:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

Castleblue also released LOVE,, at the Henry Fonda Theater , December 27 2003. Echols/ Smokestack Lightning is on it. I was at the show. That last song jammed on forever !

...what the world needs now...

That version of Smokestack Lightning is the one on the lovewitharthurlee.com site Joe has seen:
http://www.lovearthurlee.com/video.html

So Allan may have that show rather than the August one.
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2010 :  16:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks evryone for your input, it is the House Of Blues gig from Augaust 2003...only thing is..at the end of evry track there is a weird sound...must be from the person,s p.c. who copied it for me.
Still a great gig though
Go to Top of Page

jimmyboy
Fourth Love

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  03:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was fortunate to have attended this show and was totally blown away. a few months later I'm at the Amoeba Records store in Hollywood and I stumble upon the DVD!! Man I was jazzed!!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2010 :  04:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really? you bought it at a record store?

isn't it a dvdr? thought that Castle Blue only released cd-rs and dvdrs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page