Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  00:55:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so whats reckoned as the worst? Revelation, just cos its such a long (18 minute) track

Doggone (unedited version)?

Run to the top? Discharged? side one of Out Here?

The Watcher? and has anyone even listened to that track ANYWAYS?!

GatherRoundPeople
First Love

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  02:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, but...
Why start a topic on Worst Love Song? It only promotes negativity, and the creative path that Arthur chose to follow. As he said..."If you don't like my story, then don't buy my song...Cause I wouldn't want you to listen to anything..wrong. Pick a while!" Just don't pick at Arthur's songs. Because then, you're picking on Arthur...And I know he wouldn't appreciate that. Nor would Diane Lee. How about a better topic, like Worst Cover Versions Of Love Songs! Boy, there's a whole platter full right there!(Including the "Tribute" cd from '93-'94). I'll start with...The Move...Stephanie Knows Who.
Carry on -

Edited by - GatherRoundPeople on 24/08/2010 05:42:49
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  04:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slick Dick is pretty horrific too, particularly the live version (thanks for that Keith)

free the boots!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  09:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually like Run To The Top...for some reason, it always reminds me of The Sound Of Music. I suppose that it is lyrically very similar to another favourite of mine....the life affirming Nice To Be. In my book, Slick Dick is a song of three parts. It's starts off with a reasonable melody, followed by a blistering guitar solo.....but then it really degenerates after that.....a tendency that is found elsewhere on False Start, but which happily, is completely absent from all earlier releases. I've never understood though, why so many people have had it in for Revelation. To my mind, that is classic original Love trying to push back the frontiers. Whilst the track cannot be adjudged a complete success, I think that there is too much going on that is musically interesting for it to be dismissed.

" You know for every death there's a birth"

Edited by - John9 on 24/08/2010 10:42:37
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  15:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and just an fyi...Jeff Airplane has a cd called the Worst!!!.....that's music post-modernism for you...
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  17:16:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GatherRoundPeople

I'll start with...The Move...Stephanie Knows Who.

I beg to differ. That was the first time I ever heard the song and loved it from the off. I have even played it since I discovered the original too.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  20:42:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am with you, John...I like REVELATION. Even Holzman praises it as groundbreaking, saying it pushed the envelope of what could be dreamed of or accomplished on a full LP side.

I just let it roll when I am working...by the way, mono REVELATION is my preferred mix.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 24/08/2010 20:48:36
Go to Top of Page

GatherRoundPeople
First Love

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  21:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The idea of opening and closing Revelation with a Bach Partita was Revolutionary!...who'd ever heard or thought of that before. And...if one listens to the harpsichord fade/end, and then puts on "Alone Again Or" and Forever Changes...the segue is brilliant. And Arthur's harmonica playing is superb on Revelation...in my op.
Oh...and I love The Move...for them to attempt "Stephanie Knows Who" was a bold...move!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  22:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to be IS a lovely track. Always surprised that wasn't chosen for Four Sail (For Sale?) actually

For me "Revelation" is hard to take. Anyone ever notice any differences between the mono & stereo? Sorry lk, but its the worst thing they ever recorded

did you still need the Let It Be dvd?
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  23:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Joe, but Lk is on the money, Revelation is a cool joint. This was the first ever (true)Jazz Fusion song, and if Paul Rothchild had left it alone, it would have been a great musical expression.

As Johnny Echols mentioned in his post, many top Jazz Musicians would come by just to hear them play Revelation. There was method to their madness of including one song as a complete record side, it was considered eight seperate songs when the songwriter royalties were tallied. They had a few working brain cells left

GMM _________________________________________________________________________________________
Were I to see a red sign in a room, and proclaim it to be a red sign, then whom shall it be that would take me to task, and announce themselves virtuous Men!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  04:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll play the mono Revelation again tomorrow - hopefully I won't nod off before the sax solo

Waste of a good album side - can you imagine if they had done a few of Bryan's decent songs from the period (or Johnnys? was Johnny even writing songs?

Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  05:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sho-nuff

GMM
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  14:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Bach partita in Rev....hmmmmmm....if you ask me that had to be put in by Bryan, right? I'm not saying that Arthur wasn't into classical but I just think Bryan would've been the immediate catalyst for that part. If not well then they came at that all at the same time!!......who knows they could've been listening to a calif clasical radio station in the car or something....

And speaking of classical.....

After looking at the FC concert dvd with the musicians in the background just for a change of pace I'd wish they would go off and just do an all-instrumental FC record. For me, I loved that sound made by strings, horns, etc.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  19:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Slick Dick is pretty horrific too, particularly the live version (thanks for that Keith)

free the boots!

KD: Abalony - Hands down !
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  19:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by gatemouthmoore

Sorry Joe, but Lk is on the money, Revelation is a cool joint. This was the first ever (true)Jazz Fusion song, and if Paul Rothchild had left it alone, it would have been a great musical expression.

As Johnny Echols mentioned in his post, many top Jazz Musicians would come by just to hear them play Revelation. There was method to their madness of including one song as a complete record side, it was considered eight seperate songs when the songwriter royalties were tallied. They had a few working brain cells left

GMM [8D

KD: Hey Gate. Makes you wonder why the unedited / unscrammbled version wasn't a bonus track on the Da Capo reissue !
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  19:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

That Bach partita in Rev....hmmmmmm....if you ask me that had to be put in by Bryan, right? I'm not saying that Arthur wasn't into classical but I just think Bryan would've been the immediate catalyst for that part. If not well then they came at that all at the same time!!......who knows they could've been listening to a calif clasical radio station in the car or something....

And speaking of classical.....

After looking at the FC concert dvd with the musicians in the background just for a change of pace I'd wish they would go off and just do an all-instrumental FC record. For me, I loved that sound made by strings, horns, etc.

KD: Nope - gotsta be from Snoopy - he was the classicaly trained
pianist, who was just probaqbly reading the part, and playing
it on harpsichord.

Free the chords !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page