Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  14:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ps..btw .listening to the bass lines on FC is a great treat...the music in the music so to speak.....I love it in You Set the Scene..especially at the end...you can hear it pumping out those great notes!...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  00:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kenny was one of the best....with a short connection to Buffalo Springfield who had maybe the most underrated and influential bassists of the 60's--Bruce Palmer.

Two more great debuts from my Southern Rock section....

>>The Marshall Tucker Band...love that jazz southern rock sound

>>Allman Brothers Band....what a debut...Whipping Post and Dreams!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  14:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey maybe the bass made the record too!!!......one comes away with an appreciation...

good bands there...so withe the Allmans.....let's go "eat a peach!"...

I associate those southern rocker records with "Country Gazette's" and Hillman's blue-grassy "Morning Sky" since I was playing them together alot. "Morniing Sky" holds up really good for me.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  20:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would add Mighty Baby and Kaleidoscope (Tangerine Dream & Faintly Blowing) for sure. SF SORROW & Parachute have to be there. Really, Notorious has to be on a different list altogether. A great album but NOT on a top psych list...really!

Charles Westover is there, and I am interested in your opinion, Rick, when you get it...next week sometime!

I would put Wichita Fall in my top 200 ("Life Is But A Dream"). A very interesting band and album. It is heavily orchestrated psych (they even brought in the full LA Philharmonic--Imperial must have had high hopes for them to go to that expense) . Some band members were not happy at all with the label deciding it should be Moody Blues styled, orchestrated concept album, as they thought of themselves as more a Buffalo Springfield kind of rock band. Others loved the experience. I doubt we will ever get to hear a stripped down, orchestra-less reissue...as it did not sell at all and has never seen a reissue beyond the first pressing. I guess they played the Hollywood club scene (The Troubadour) in the 60's.

Anyone ever see Wichita Fall back in the day? A band member even had his fringed deer skin jacket like Neil had.

Here is a download for anyone interested....I would never reveal a download like this unless it never had a chance of reissue...even band members weigh in here to talk about the recording.

http://akashaman.blogspot.com/2006/11/erialwichita-fall-life-is-but-dream.html

NOW! FOR A NEW SPIN ON THIS "OLD" SUBJECT....

.... I'll start with my top 40 Psych albums (if I get that far), in no particular order, because I really can't go that far as to put one over the other..they are all so good!

I revised this subject and my initial post if you want to go back a page to see what & where I want this to go now....hey, it's my subject! Ha!

OUR TOP 40+ PSYCH LISTS!

1. Forever Changes (well that one is likely #1)
2. Electric Music For The Mind and Body, Country Joe
3. Revolver
4. Sgt Peppers
5. Magical Mystery Tour
6. Electric Ladyland
7. Are You Experienced?
8. Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die
9. After Bathing At Baxter's
10. Younger Than Yesterday, BYRDS
11. Moby Grape
12. Goodbye & Hello, Tim Buckley
13. Sunshine Superman
14. Disraeli Gears
15. Kaleidoscope, Tangerine Dream & Faintly Blowing
16. Mighty Baby
17. In the Court of the Crimson King
18. Time Has Come Today, Chambers Brothers
19. The Doors 1st
20. OAR, Skip Spence
21. Satanic Majesty's Request
22. Surrealistic Pillow
23. Psychedelic Lollypop, Blues MaGoos
24. I Had Too Much To Dream, Electric Prunes
25. Amazing Adventures Of Charles Westover. Del Shannon
26. Vanilla Fudge, You Keep Me Hanging On (I know, that one is a bunch of covers, but it blew us away then, and has its place)
27. In Search Of The Lost Chord, Moodys
28. In The Court Of The Crimson King
29. Book Of Talyesin, Deep Purple
30. Whiter Shade Of Pale
31. Highway 61 Revisited (blew my mind...isn't that what psychedelia does?)
32. SF SORROW, Parachute-The Pretty Things
33. Pet Sounds
34. Neil Young, Neil Young
35. Born On The Bayou, CCR
36. Pink Floyd PIPERS AT THE GATES OF DAWN
37. JK&Co, Suddenly One Summer
38. Puzzle, Mandrake Memorial
39. Plastic Cloud
40. In The Land Of Pink and Gray, Caravan
41. Wizards From Kansas
42. 12 Dreams Of Dr Sardonicus, Spirit
43. Quicksilver Messenger Service!
44.13th Floor Elevators
45. Chocolate Watchband
46. Balaklava & One Nation Underground, Pearls Before Swine

That was too easy....your list? This is fun. I have all these in my library and I could add many more but I want to see yours!!

Keep on trippin"

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/08/2010 21:35:44
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kid,
I think you got the handle on this one. You changed it well.
You really picked some humdingers, and I'm not talking about the obvious ones. Sunshine Superman, Disraeli Gears (not so easy to spell), Chambers Bros. (what happenned to those guys), Satanic,
Elec.Prunes, The Fudge, Pipers at the Gate, Blues Magoos and Pet Sounds are what psychedlic is all about. Think I'll listen to In Search of the Lost Chord tonite. I might have added some Sly Stone and Big Brother, maybe Super session, but other than that a terrific list. If people listened to any one of those on the list, the world would be a rosier place.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  23:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive, LK - three more favourites of mine:

1. HP Lovecraft 2

2. The United States Of America

3. Zodiac Cosmic Sounds (on Elektra...and a perfect companion piece to Forever Changes....take my word for it, it really is the definitive West Coast psychedelic album)

Edited by - John9 on 09/08/2010 23:30:27
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  00:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Impressive, LK - three more favourites of mine:

1. HP Lovecraft 2

2. The United States Of America

3. Zodiac Cosmic Sounds (on Elektra...and a perfect companion piece to Forever Changes....take my word for it, it really is the definitive West Coast psychedelic album)

Thanks John & Mark.....I meant to put HP Lovecraft 2 in there, but thought I might be hogging all the good ones. I wonder why The Chambers Brothers "Time..." never makes any lists....it can't be that obscure. The rest of that album is even better than the "hit".

I have trepidations about The United States of America as I have never heard it and have read conflicting reviews...good bad and ugly. But I trust your recommendations, John.

I have never heard of Zodiac...there is always something new!! Damn!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/08/2010 00:19:47
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  14:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The United States of America!....That was the weirdest record i had ever listened to!!! I think I heard a clip on fm radio and decided to get it...

One record some of you may know was simply titled "Rotary Connection". I liked it. Kind of "psychy". There's a nice ocver of the Stones' "Ruby Tuesday" on it. I thought it was a very good one. Another record was done by a band called "the Glitterhouse". And you get songs like Tinkerbell's mind is a great machine!"...

And I see Sgt Pepper is #4. well for me it's tough to displace my favorite but I think it belongs at the top of the pops. On the other hand, Lennon's song "Strawberry Fields Forver" is THE song in the psychedelic aong canon hands down. Very subjective I know! But I think Lennon was the really the best in bringing a listener into that invisible world, a world of different identities and different feelings. Arthur did that in FC but Lennon's view I think was much sharper. Both were good writers but lennon i thought had the edge..and my question is who was more on the 'edge' between them???
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  16:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will have to think about this, but what I will say straight off is that I have all but four of the albums on lk's list, though some only on vinyl transferred mp3s. Certainly did pick some beauty's there.

Off the top of my head,if you are going to include those discs made outside the 60s (I see Caravan makes an appearance, but what of the first album?), you'd have to include the Zero the Hero trilogy by Gong, Tonto's Expanding Headband's self-titled debut, and much more current from the 90s psych revival of sorts, 'K' and 'Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts' by Kula Shaker, Jellyfish's 'Bellybutton' and 'Spilt Milk', The Wondermints' debut and 'Bali' and of course our very own Baby Lemonade albums too.

Oh dear, my list is going to be very long.....
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  16:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should mention Rotary Connection. I used to visit a friend back in 1967 where the proud mary was burning 24/7. I heard the Traffic debut album and Rotary Connection there. It was a dazzling album cover and i liked it. Sort of a psychedlic soul.
They also did The Weight. An interesting piece of music.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  16:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LK, Rocker - here's one of my favourites from the afforementioned USA album. It's called The Garden of Earthly Delights...after the medieval painting by Netherlands artist Hieronymous Bosch. His home town was Hertongenbosch and strangely, I was there just three weeks ago....a beautiful place. I really like the psychedelic video that somebody has lovingly put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0cuX0WSdhg&feature=fvsr

The wider public got to hear another track from the album on the 1968 CBS sampler, The Rock Machine Turns You On. That one was entitled I Wouldn't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar.

Zodiac Cosmic Sounds must be one of Elektra's essential albums of 1967. A brainchild of Jac Holzman, it boasts some of LA's finest session players including Carol Kaye, Hal Blaine and Bud Shank and consists of a separate little suite of poetry and ethereal music for each sign of the zodiac. The narrator is Cyrus Faryar - for which distinction he was honoured on the sleeve of Buffalo Springfield Again. And as for the cover....William S. Harvey of course!

Edited by - John9 on 10/08/2010 19:40:08
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  17:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

Will have to think about this, but what I will say straight off is that I have all but four of the albums on lk's list, though some only on vinyl transferred mp3s. Certainly did pick some beauty's there.

Off the top of my head,if you are going to include those discs made outside the 60s (I see Caravan makes an appearance, but what of the first album?), you'd have to include the Zero the Hero trilogy by Gong, Tonto's Expanding Headband's self-titled debut, and much more current from the 90s psych revival of sorts, 'K' and 'Peasants, Pigs and Astronauts' by Kula Shaker, Jellyfish's 'Bellybutton' and 'Spilt Milk', The Wondermints' debut and 'Bali' and of course our very own Baby Lemonade albums too.

Oh dear, my list is going to be very long.....

I want to see it, boomer!

I did stray out of the 60's a bit...not far though. I think there are many good albums that were and are being recorded after the 60's, but because of the daze and days, I just can't place them on any real psych list of any import.

They just don't have the colours of the day....they may emulate, but will never BE. Just a feeling I have. And since my 60's daze passed, for a while, into the 70's, I included a couple because I still had hope for the 70's...until psych became passe. BUT NOT FOR ME!!

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  17:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a problem with the link to the USA track that I just posted. In the meantime here's another link to the same song...but without the amazing video. I promise you, it really is going back to the other one when and if it is fixed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_6MHEkx4v0

Edited by - John9 on 10/08/2010 19:19:08
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  18:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Wouldn't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar.

heh heh that's the song that I had in my head!!!! I just couldn't get the title out....I feel like an Amboy Duke man!..this is a "journey to the mind!"

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  20:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk...Looking at the list that In Seaerch of the Lost Chord is a gem by the Moodies. I'm not aware that we talk alot about them but they've made some of the best pop around for many many years. I say "pop" but I'm not so sure that's the right word. Were they "progressive"? I'm not sure beacuse they're not usually lumped in with the Yes's etc.... Anyway, ISOTLC is a great record. I like it alot and it gets play at my house especially "Legend of a Mind".....it soars.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page