Page: of 4

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  21:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk...Looking at the list that In Seaerch of the Lost Chord is a gem by the Moodies. I'm not aware that we talk alot about them but they've made some of the best pop around for many many years. I say "pop" but I'm not so sure that's the right word. Were they "progressive"? I'm not sure beacuse they're not usually lumped in with the Yes's etc.... Anyway, ISOTLC is a great record. I like it alot and it gets play at my house especially "Legend of a Mind".....it soars.

Hey rocker...I was and am a fan of the MOODYS right thru "To our Children's Children's Children" (Not sure how many "Children" are in the title anymore! ) Such great music that provided such great trips...each one a new journey.

I'd say (progressive seems to be any (60's-70's and onward) rock music that is an amalgam of two or more genres, such as jazz/rock...but I hate that label). A fine melding of classical and rock, for me...done with class and conviction.

For many it may seem like a pretentious kind of music....how dare they try to raise the likes of lowly rock and roll by adding Classical lines to the mix. That may be how it started with bands like King Crimson, with top talent, classically trained, and giving rock a much more complex sound. Pretentious. Some, yes. Did the Moodys get big heads about their music...maybe later. But for us, in the 60's, it was pure innocent joy...it just sounded so damn good and cool. It seemed like rock was growing up and evolving. Damn!

Good stuff!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/08/2010 21:28:50
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  21:39:52  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ask anyone who thinks The Moody Blues are wimpy, to listen to "The Story In Your Eyes" (from "every Good Boy...."), or many other their records, and enjoy the ROCK , and passion.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  03:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To our childrens childrens children is
quite good. Best single they ever had from that (Watching and Waiting)
but I don't think it ever charted

The bats heard it, the odd dog barked
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  06:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea, I idolized the Moodies when I was a kid; I was one of those kids who was sure the MBs songs held the key to the meaning of life itself!
Then I read an interview with them in RS where they said that was ridiculous and they were just a rock band that wanted to sell records.
I had to rethink my entire outlook on life after that...
I saw them at the Fillmore East when I was in 9th grade (my sister used to work there), and one of my sister's friends was a groupie who
"knew" Graeme Edge (the drummer) and said she'd introduce me to him during intermission.
I was so nervous my hands were sweating like mad, and when he shook my hand he said, "Ugh! They're all wet!" and laughed.
I just said something like "I love your poetry, man", and that was it.
Songs like "Nights In White Satin", "Tuesday Afternoon", "The Actor" and others Justin Hayward wrote and sang, are rock/pop classics and have stood the test of time.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  14:13:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ys, they have. Remember their single, eh? Go Now! Their sound sure evolved from that. I read that thy felt that they thought they wouldn't go far singing the "blues" and the kind of music they were doing in those early days. They switched osunds and look what we got.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  23:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as The Moody Blues have come up, I would add On The Threshhold of a Dream and Days of Future Paseed to the list.
Extraordinary.
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  07:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Go Now" was just a cover of an R&B song from the 60s by an American female group.
My cousin had the 45 and played it for me, and I said "wtf, where's the psych!?"
None of the guys from their "Days of Future Passed" LP were on that, except for Ray Thomas (I think?), so that was a completely different band.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  14:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ever listen to their early stuff? I have their debut record the Magnificent Moodies. It's pretty good with rock and bluesy tunes.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  16:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Ever listen to their early stuff? I have their debut record the Magnificent Moodies. It's pretty good with rock and bluesy tunes.

I concur. I bought a 2LP compilation many moons ago (NB: LP, not CD!), simply because I loved NIWS and knew Denny Laine sang Go Now. First Moodies album I owned. Can't remember what was on it, but from memory it was the album plus some bonus tracks, singles etc. Not up in the Pretty Things league, of course, but still good.

Laine, of course found fame in Wings, but his original version of "Say You Don't Mind" also completely trounces Colin Blunstone's weak cover if it.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  17:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

As long as The Moody Blues have come up, I would add On The Threshhold of a Dream and Days of Future Paseed to the list.
Extraordinary.

I would have included all those, Mark, but at least the one got the juices flowing. That is a pretty impressive run....

Days Of Future Passed
In Search Of A Lost Chord
On The Threshold of a Dream (love it!) some soaring piano work.
To Our Children's....

(As the 70's rolled in, I didn't follow them after that...)

One can still buy their used vinyl for five bucks....they sold a lot of them! And sadly, they are a bit forgotten today.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2010 :  18:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk..As the 70's rolled in, I didn't follow them after that...)

Same here. Just don't know why actually. They were a fine group with great songs. The same thing happened with the Hollies. Interesting how we stay with some groups and drop others. Why say Love and the Doors but not the Moodies or the Hollies? Why we constantly play certain songs?

boom....I like to go back and listen to those 60's groups and their early stuff. All those "sounds" produced in the UK at the time was something. As someone from the US you have to remember that we were used to ballads and the song and where the lyrics were uppermost in listeners minds like doo-wop for example. Hearing those guitars and drums and new melodies from guys over the pond chnaged alot of things here in music..that's the way I saw it. Maybe others have another recollection.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  19:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also add a favorite...

Live Dead..one of my favorite live albums from the day.

And...

>>The Doors' "Strange Days"...those first notes from Ray on organ still give chills....

"Strange days have found us...strange days have tracked us down
...they're going to destroy our casual joys..."

Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  17:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I allwas liked the moody,s on during our psychedelic sessions...days of future passed, the album they did with the orchestra is great.
Allways liked On The Threshold Of A Dream...was never the main course, like Jimi and Love, but really good gentle sounds to come down to earth with, along with Incredible String Band, jOHN Martyn, Donovan and many others, they have thier place in Psychedelia for sure.
Another great album..The 5,000 spirits or The LAyers OF An Onion...by Incredible String Band.....will definatley be in my top 40 when i do it.
LOVE
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  17:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I allwas liked the moody,s on during our psychedelic sessions...days of future passed, the album they did with the orchestra is great.
Allways liked On The Threshold Of A Dream...was never the main course, like Jimi and Love, but really good gentle sounds to come down to earth with, along with Incredible String Band, jOHN Martyn, Donovan and many others, they have thier place in Psychedelia for sure.
Another great album..The 5,000 spirits or The LAyers OF An Onion...by Incredible String Band.....will definatley be in my top 40 when i do it.
LOVE
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2010 :  23:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how I forgot my two favorite psych albums of all time?!!

Fever Tree's self-titled
Fever Tree "Another Time Another Place"....both are tops for me!!!

A Texas band that is synonymous with the San Francisco sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJZndRfMQU ...San Francisco Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7wG0cbmou8&feature=related

AND!!! The New Tweedy Brothers...really far out psych from SF too.

HER DARKNESS IN DECEMBER... a dark psych tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au_ZV2WBegg&feature=youtube_gdata

try The New Tweedy Brothers on youtube ...they play many strange instruments and their style runs the gamut...to some the music may seem dated or untutored, but then....so am I!! One of those bands, like Family, that are hated as much as loved.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page