Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2010 :  18:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I changed this today, because, after all, every top whatever list is subjective and personal. This one was no different and just one man's opinion.

So here is now a place to drop in your own list for each to compare to our own personal top Psych list...you can make it a top 40, or top 20 or top TEN, dependign on how inspired you are.

Mine is at the end, after out discussion of the list we have dicussed of late.

Below is from a guy at Listology....

Love is #2 and this is a bit more to my liking as a top 40 psych albums list. The last list I posted put the highly derivative band Ultimate Spinach at the top....questionable at best.

But what do you all think of the #! choice? A big surprise for me...don't think I have ever seen a Psychedelia list with this one anywhere near the top.

Some nice write ups too here...and some great choices.

I am curious as to what you all think of the list.

http://www.listology.com/list/greatest-psychedelic-albums-1-10

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/08/2010 20:54:55

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  00:09:32  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, it's a good list og great recordings with ellements of psych.
for me, though, psych is
ELECTRIC LADYLAND, aspecially that segway of sonic magic(moon turns the tide....)and
Quicksilver Messenger Service with "the Fool" (Cippolina)!!!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  14:38:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't agree with #1 at all - certainly wouldn't make my top 10. Some strange choices - seems a bit too mainstream to me. And where is Jimi? You might also ask, where are IABD, Electric Music, Farewell Aldebaran, Aoxomoxoa, Tangerine Dream, etc? Guess all will be revealed in Part 2.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  15:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can certainly go with much of this list - and the Top 2 would be my top 2. But of course 'Psychedelic' rather like 'Progressive' is a label that somehow escapes precise definition. To my mind After Bathing at Baxters is far more psychedelic than either Surrealistic Pillow or Volunteers. Just off the top of my head are some pointers to those things that make me think "ah....psychedelic!":

(a) dating from 1966 to 1968
(b) imaginative use of sound effects to create otherworldy collages of sound
(c) surreal, philosophical and sometimes seemingly nonsensical lyrics - that make the piece the musical equivalent of something like a Salvador Dali painting

I do recognise that all this is highly subjective - but definitely in my list would be Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour and A Saucerful of Secrets.

Edited by - John9 on 27/07/2010 15:41:24
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  15:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've just looked at Wikepedia on this - and I can see that this musical genre extends way beyond the narrow definition I have just offered...though I was intrigued to read that the an early example of psychedelia is The Beatles' I Feel Fine.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2010 :  17:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hendrix is in there as you click on the side bar with the rest of the top 40, but I agree about it; & Baxters is there further on and Ladyland...Electric Music makes the list and all the three Beatles LPs you mentioned, J9, but it also is a mostly mainstream list...so no real surprises except for the inclusion of some unexpected albums like Volunteers....I would have included "Crown Of Creation" which is a personal Airplane fave, though I rarely hear it mentioned in great Airplane LP lists, or any lists; maybe because the others are so great. Anyone else a fan of that one too?

...as there is no Kaleidoscope (UK) or Pretty Things, no Bubble Puppy or Open Mind, no Electric Prunes or Dylan, no Goodbye & Hello, etc etc....the list would be long indeed, but there is only room for 40-- and I would have put 5D in there instead of Notorious. On a very NON-mainstream note, Del Shannon's "Amazing Adventures of Charles Westover" IS included---happy and surprised, I was!!!

Dylan doesn't meet certain standard Psychedelia criteria, but certainly his rambling raps and dream-like 10 minute songs from Highway or Blonde on Blonde and others qualify as mind expanding, mind bending fold-rock psychedelia?!! Agreed?

Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  07:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting choices, but the fellow seems to think that Arthur wrote "Aloneagainor."

Edited by - ed the bear on 28/07/2010 07:58:53
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  13:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see "Music In A Doll,s House by Family at no. 8...it,s one of my all time psychedelic albums....roger chapmans voice man...something else altogether.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  14:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I guess I'm really "biased" since most if not all the selections are in my musical house. I'd say if you take each selection all present something unique and creative to the genre. The notes were in nirvana and free-flowing when the musicians got together in crafting these. Nice to see the top 2, beautiful!!

Just wanted to note that as time goes on I've found that as time goes on I find the the Doors' music simply "timeless". Psychedelic or bluesy or rocking, they truly opened up the "doors of perception" for all of us with virtually 3 instruments, organ, drums and guitar.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  16:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right about the Doors...in some ways more of a jazz improve group. They were as lean and pure of sound as any band in the day and I think that is what made them stand out. There was no wall of sound...it was the air between the notes that gave them such power. "When the Music's Over" had such power, especially towards the end of the track.

"....I hear a very gentle sound...." with that bass line and those poweful jazzy drum fills...so great.

I have most every album here....but I need to get "Family"....don't I Allan!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2010 :  18:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey lk I like that "air between the notes" business you mentioned..that's the sound alright!....the psychedelia they made was very different form say the "Iron Butterfly" sound....same for Arthur and co's...
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2010 :  13:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah man...get Family..psychedelic as a cane toads back!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2010 :  17:56:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john..though I was intrigued to read that the an early example of psychedelia is The Beatles' I Feel Fine.

I put that song on this weekend, one of my favs, psychedelic, eh? First I heard of it. Maybe something hit when they heard that early "feedback" in their heads???.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  20:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Rocker - I can still remember arguing about that amplified guitar twang in the school playground. I suppose that the decision to leave it in, to some extent, broke the existing rules - and was therefore thought to be quite daring at the time. I think that one of the things that helped The Beatles to be the force they became was that they were always challenging their audiences. During the vinyl era, there were several slightly different mixes of I Feel Fine on the go. On one, you can here a few moments of mysterious whispering just before the twang......and on another, a barking dog can be very faintly heard as the guitar riff fades at the end. It seems that the roots of Sgt Pepper were right there....back in 1964!

The flipside of the single, She's A Woman, I have always loved. George Martin's wonderful piano.......and George Harrison's ingenious little guitar solo. Now I really must find the time to play the mono and stereo box sets that I shelled out for last year!

Edited by - John9 on 03/08/2010 20:49:05
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  05:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one expeced the Doors to take off like they did. With no bass player, they sounded so light weight. Especially compared to Love or the Iron Butterfly. The Doors were more like an avant-garde jazz group. When you saw Love, it was like G-forces were slamming you against the wall. You were enveloped by sound and chicks...Just awesome!

GMM
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  14:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gmm...No bass in the Doors...You know I never even was aware of that until it was mentioned. A far far cry from say Motown and funk yet they get music which is incredible. Also, I was always amazed at the Who wo even with 3 guys, one on bass, one on drums and one on guitar produced all those sounds. Granted with "Who's Next" they started to implement electronics but still the sounds they achieved with only 3 guys playing instruments was stunning.

john....I don't know about you or anybody else but I find the Beatles' work still sounding so fresh every time I hear their songs especially I Feel fine and She's A Woman. Never get tired of them. i think it worked where they said they always were trying to extned themselves on each and every record they produced. Man, it paid off in spades.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page