Re Arthurly pre-Love (LAGs, VIPs?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  04:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone know what Arthurs 1st band was?

the LAGs (Echols on guitar, Lee, Alan Talbot on sax, Roland David on drums) was signed (to Selma Records?)

but was Arthur with a band called the VIPs before

If the American Four was Arthurs 1st band (1964 - Luci Baines single - Arthurs first vocals on record)

then did Arthur form the LAGs (Los Angeles Group - LAs answer to the MGs!)
then join a band called the VIPs

Did Arthur write a couple surfing instrumentals ("White caps", "Ski surfin sanctuary) for the VIPs, thats what I want to know!

Those titles aren't listed with Harry Fox Agency(online publisher)
so its a mystery..

bluecap
Second Love

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  13:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ripped this off another site for you my Friend.

Arthur Lee was born in Memphis, Tennessee in 1944. He moved to LA in the sixties and formed a variety of bands such as The VIPS and Arthur Lee & The LAGs. The VIPS consisted of Lee on Hammond organ, Nooney Rickett on vocals/guitar, Gary Rowles on lead guitar, Frank Fayad on bass and George Suranovich on drums. This line-up is a significant one as it was to be the neucleus of Love mkII. Update: In a recent email Gary Rowles, maintains that the aforementioned band never existed and that he himself never played with Arthur Lee until 1969, during the "Four Sail" sessions. Gary says that himself, Fayad and Suranovich were hired when Nooney Ricketts' band folded sometime in 1968. Thanks for the information Gary and I hope this will serve to see that this historical inaccuracy is cleared up! In 1965, a Lee composition called 'My Diary' was recorded by Rosa Lee Brooks.

The song featured the guitar talents of the then unknown Jimi Hendrix. A friendship was formed between Lee and Hendrix and it culminated in the latter's blistering guitar workout on Love's False Start album. In LA, Lee met up with former high school friend John Echols and they decided to form a band. Ex-Byrds roadie Bryan Maclean joined on vocals/guitar, ex-Surfari Ken Forssi joined on bass and the lineup was complete with the addition of Don Conka on drums. The band called themselves The Grassroots and they were a popular live attraction. The name was short lived however, as another group with an identical one appeared with a single in the charts. The name was changed to Love and in 1966 they became the first rock group to be signed to the Elektra label.

the news today will be the movies of tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  14:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will know the "order" when the new book is out!

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2010 :  23:42:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I used to get murky with some of that stuff. I went out and bought a copy of Ronnie & the Pomona Casuals on vinyl because I understand Arthur produced it, and sang background on some songs.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2010 :  03:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
according to this Record Collector article
Arthur was with the LAGs, then the VIPS, then rejoined the LAGs

I don't know where the American Four fit in.. maybe they became the Grass Roots?!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page