Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  15:29:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading that Amazon is taking pre orders for a MAY release?!

Thanks Gatemouth....I would guess it is hard for a writer to stay
focussed with all the expectations...and to met every one is not
possible. So a personal goal and vision is all one can do. Here is
John's full response....with his personal observations & no malice.

One thing I learned a long time ago (and this is my 14th book) is that you cannot take upon yourself as a writer to defend your work, You do your research as thoroughly as possible, write a story as best you can, and let it stand or fall on its own. You can't wade into the fray should one arise. The are always people who are going to find something to complain about in the book, any book for that matter. I couldn't return to the message board and spend my time defending myself for why, for example, I wasn't raving about every single track on the New Rose album. The book will stand or fall on its own merits. I have offered to do an interview with Torben for the website about the process of researching and writing Arthur and Love's story.

I'm very proud of the book and of the extensive and new research brought forth in it, much of it hitherto unknown or misunderstood, and that's all I can do. It is as complete a portrait of Arthur Lee and a history of Love as will ever exist (no one is likely to do another one because, frankly, the marketability is slim already).

These books are the proverbial labour of love. There is no money in them (hence I took umbrage with the post that implied this was in some way a vanity project and my integrity was for hire). What attracts me is a good story, the human drama. There is plenty of that in this book, believe me.

Having Diane Lee onboard opened so many doors for me and gave the project legitimacy that other attempts at chronicling Arthur's life did not have. It however did not mean that the book was directed by her agenda or that she in anyway dictated the terms. Quite the contrary. I initiated this project and solicited her cooperation. Diane had complete confidence in me as an experienced and respected writer to tell the story honestly and insightfully, warts and all. In the end Arthur's story is the ultimate rock and roll redemption story. After all, how many artists go from the cage to the stage.

Something else that I learned log ago is that a list is not a book; a story makes a book. Exhaustive lists of gigs are easy to find (and Torben's website is amazing for that). But personal insights and recollections are not easy to find or glean from those closest to the subject. It's those that make for an illuminating, revealing and fascinating story. I guarantee there are plenty of things you never knew about Arthur Lee and Love, or thought you knew, in the book.

Will you like the book? Well, that is up to you. I'm sure there are some who will go out of their way to find fault because that is their nature or for a personal axe to grind. So be it. I'm not going to lose sleep over that. As a writer I cannot be worried about that nor can I wade into the message board to defend myself. At the end of the day I've done the best I can to present the life of Arthur Lee frankly and sincerely. Bottom line: you don't have to buy it.

...I would just like to close with a note that John is as sincere a writer and friend as I know of and has opened up to the board here only to let me know (especially) and you all that all that really matters (here) is-- Arthur Lee and the Story of Love. Let's enjoy it for what it is.

lk

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  15:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think the book will cover Forever Changes?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2010 :  16:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Do you think the book will cover Forever Changes?

Oh ya. Everything he could find and that would be an important part.

If it is anything like his Gene Clark bio, it will cover everything Arthur from birth to death and all there is to discover about Love, start to finish.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 21/01/2010 16:41:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page