Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  23:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey lemonade,

Yeah John did get a hold of me. Thanks. I look forward to this book coming out, should be pretty damn cool.

Cheers,
Thomas
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  05:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

Hey lemonade,

Yeah John did get a hold of me. Thanks. I look forward to this book coming out, should be pretty damn cool.

Cheers,
Thomas

Hey Thomas. Good to hear.
The new book is highly anticipated and regarded from what I've read....John told me there will be some revelations!

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  06:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It looks amazing.

Its such a fascinating story, especially considering how many dead-ends there were the deeper you go into the folklore of the band. Its like a movie.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  07:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so I guess Housden never did a bio on the band

then again we expected that back in the 2001 season

Gene Clark I do not know too well - only Byrds I have is Notorious Byrd Brothers, during the sessions for which Crosby was sacked

"Feel a whole lot better" is a damn fine song tho - I can see why the Teenage Fanclub named a song of theirs after him

Clark's "Feel a whole lot better" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD56W3U8oSE
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid
He wrote a book about Gene Clark and it includes his time with the Byrds...very forthright and insightful with lots of interviews with the other Byrds. But of course it only covers the founding of the Byrds by Gene & Jim (Roger) and until he left the Byrds. There were some great Byrds albums after Gene, but as Hillman, Crosby and others have said the best Byrds albums were with the FIVE Byrds!!! The best received LIVE Byrds were the FIVE Byrds too.

Yes indeed LK - the original lineup were the ones with the true magic - and of course the ones that enthralled a member of the audience at Ciro's one night in 1965. "Well I can do that", Arthur Lee is believed to have said to himself. I think that it is a remarkable quality of the original band that the core songwriting team kept realigning itself so well in the face of band defections : McGuinn/Clark - McGuinn/Crosby - McGuinn/Hillman. I think that this is why when the band came to reform for a one shot deal in 1972, it proved impossible to recapture that original magic.

Edited by - John9 on 18/01/2010 11:55:22
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  16:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we're veering off topic here :), but I have to say that while I agree Byrds lineups through Notorious Byrd Brothers had the most magic, the latter lineup that featured Clarence White on lead guitar also put out some great stuff, and were IMO far superior as a live band. Fortunately a lot of these 1969-1971ish shows were well-presented in terms of sound system and well-preserved via soundboard recordings, thanks largely to their sound man Dinky Dawson - well worth checking out.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  20:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruxprncd

I know we're veering off topic here :), but I have to say that while I agree Byrds lineups through Notorious Byrd Brothers had the most magic, the latter lineup that featured Clarence White on lead guitar also put out some great stuff, and were IMO far superior as a live band. Fortunately a lot of these 1969-1971ish shows were well-presented in terms of sound system and well-preserved via soundboard recordings, thanks largely to their sound man Dinky Dawson - well worth checking out.

Hi Ruxprncd - Clarence was a genious, there can be no doubt that and of course you're absolutely right about roadie, Dinkie Dawson. The only thing that I would say about the late 60s and early 70s concerts is that for some reason, harmony seemed to be much less important to the band. Mind you round about 1970, I suppose that there was more of a vogue for a dynamic but rough and ready sound....together with the mandatory instrumental jams. This is perhaps also the case with Love's Live in England album from the same year. It is almost as though some of the best 60s groups were responding to the standard set by Led Zeppelin - and were a little embarrassed by the sublety and musical precision of their earlier and best work.

Edited by - John9 on 18/01/2010 21:02:21
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:

Hi Ruxprncd - Clarence was a genious, there can be no doubt that and of course you're absolutely right about roadie, Dinkie Dawson. The only thing that I would say about the late 60s and early 70s concerts is that for some reason, harmony seemed to be much less important to the band. Mind you round about 1970, I suppose that there was more of a vogue for a dynamic but rough and ready sound....together with the mandatory instrumental jams. This is perhaps also the case with Love's Live in England album from the same year. It is almost as though some of the best 60s groups were responding to the standard set by Led Zeppelin - and were a little embarrassed by the sublety and musical precision of their earlier and best work.

KD: And another interesting thing about those later era Byrds line
ups was that it was no longer really a "band", but simply Roger
McGuinn and paid backing musicians which also included Clarence White.(sound familiar ?)

The failure of the 1972 Byrds reunion (original members) could
also be that most of the members were keeping their best material for
their own solo projects. Egos reigned big time in that group, that's
why the broke up in the first place.

Free the Byrds !
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  21:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:

I love latter-day Byrds, especially Younger Than Yesterday & Ballad of Easy Rider.
Not much in the way of harmonies after Notorious, but great vocals by Roger and John and Clarence. A leaner sound, but still great. It's just that the first two LPs with Gene
have a special place in time for me.....even by 5-D things got a bit jaded. The Byrd harmonies went away mostly after Crosby was fired. His "golden parachute" got him
a nice yacht! Gene quit so he got nothing, and the band wasn't making money then
...except for Gene with his publishing and songwriting.

And just to keep in touch with the subject, Arthur was quite aware of the Byrds sound and
that comes across quite a bit on the first LP before he became surer of his own abilities.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/01/2010 22:00:35
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  09:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

And speaking of Crosby, there is a definite CSNY influence on Love's magnificent I Still Wonder....which remains my favourite post 1968 track......in fact it would easily make my own top ten Arthur Lee songs of all time......though I accept that this is a purely personal view!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  14:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gatemouth..re: "Vanity Press"..not sure but are you referring to the new Love book coming out by the author who used to post here a bit?

Re: Byrds..

With a band there's nothing like getting the magic when it first starts out and things are very fresh and new and everybody's doing their best trying to get the band going. That's what we certainly got with those first few years of the Byrds. I agree with kd that "egos" change things and I think btw that's normal in the Byrds' case or in any setup where you have people putting their hearts and soul into the work. Those guys were incredibly talented. I guess when we look back the "Byrds" was too small an enterprise to capture their personalities, quirks and goals. Right now for those who are left they look like they're at peace with what they're doing.
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  15:19:19  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please stick to the topic
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  16:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right..

I'm looking forward to Einarson's new book especially because if we take a look at his previous books he tends to focus on a personality and their give and take with their relationships. I will find it interesting where he puts the band and particularly Arthur. And really I hope he comes back here and goes on to discuss it with the posters here.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  18:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Right..

I'm looking forward to Einarson's new book especially because if we take a look at his previous books he tends to focus on a personality and their give and take with their relationships. I will find it interesting where he puts the band and particularly Arthur. And really I hope he comes back here and goes on to discuss it with the posters here.

Sorry....no. I'll ask John if there is a site where we can discuss it.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  20:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, were people really mean to him on the board? I mean, its about LOVE for goodness's sake

how many pages are in the book? wonder if it'll be the definitive tome on the band. Good Echols is participating. Hes like the unsung hero of the band

or of the film Love Story at the least
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page