Dennis Wilson
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Nick Mason
Hal Blaine
Mike Shrieve (Santana)
Carmin Apice
Mike Giles (King Crimson)

Ok, ok, I broke my own rules by listing more than TEN, but I could have named more...so I wish to see all yours!

PS> Harvey...have I heard your drumming ...what might I have heard you on?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/12/2009 03:19:54

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  12:13:10  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi LK the only tracks I played on were the 2 sides of record number RINGO 0001 the first track released on Ringo records. It was a reggae version of Hokey Cokey backed up with a rock and roll version of 'Away in a Manger' including screaming guitars. Made by me and my mate Doug Bogie who was the Queen bass player before Deacon. He was an engineer at various studios in London including CBS. We 'liberated' some studio time that was not being used. We did make a 'space theme' album but it never saw the light of day. I have the original 24 track tapes somewhere. I played on lots of other demos but none of note. There are still copies of the ringo record on ebay sometimes with all sorts of claims about who played on it. Only sold about 40K in the states and do not know how many here but neither I or Doug made any money out of it. Christmas novelty record really.
Reference your list above, I have told the story of how I was working in a club/pub in London and someone came rushing in and said he wanted to borrow a roll of gaffa tape as he had a burst water pipe, I looked up and it was Mitch Mitchell. He promised to bring it back but I do not think I will see it again.I saw BBA, Beck, Bogart & Appice at the Rainbow and the Sundown Edmonton (London) they were so loud. Appice was a bit like 'Animal' from the Muppets but then again I have worked for a few drummers like that. They were a brilliant band and I think if they had had a real name singing they would have been as big as Zep. I quite often talk to Nick Mason at Classic Car events, he has a huge stable of old racing Ferraris and other famous cars which he uses and lets other drivers use as opposed to keeping them locked in a museum. They sometimes get badly damaged as well but get totally restored again. As I have mentioned before poor old Ginger is not in the best of health these days but was brilliant on the Cream revival gigs a couple of years ago. I appreciate all the others on your list but must mention one omission, Billy Cobham there are very few guys who can do what he can do. I will compose a list later when I have considered the options.
Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  13:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LK!!!!.....you list Keith Moon, but not Viv Prince! I take it that's an oversight?
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Blues Singer
Second Love

Denmark
39 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  17:43:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quint
Paul Whaley
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Blues Singer
Second Love

Denmark
39 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  17:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omar Hakim
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  02:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed Cassidy
Ashley Hutchings
Simon Phillips
Ian Wallace
John Bonham
Jaki Liebzeit
Jim Keltner
Levon Helm
Duck Dunn
.. and Paul McCartney's drummer, 'fraid I don't know his name - hugely impressive, in more than one sense. If Zep had reformed it was he who I wanted in Bonzo's chair. Dominates his kit.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  04:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ashley Hutchings??? Sorry, meant DAVE MATTACKS. Sorry, that's what can happen when tapping away in the gloaming....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  06:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

LK!!!!.....you list Keith Moon, but not Viv Prince! I take it that's an oversight?

Ya, ol' man....but I had to end my list as it just kept growing....

>Buddy Miles for one

>Gene Krupa...some great solos from some old movies, and I remember
seeing him on Johnny Carson..he still had it.

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  17:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I've started something - favourite guitarists, now favourite drummers. What next? Keyboard players? That'd be interesting.

Anyway, my favourite drummers:

1. Adrian Tramontano (The Breakfast)
2=. Tony Zuzulo (Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian Circus of Dreams)
2=. Ed Cassidy (Spirit)
4=. Matt Abts (Gov't Mule)
4=. Jon Fishman (Phish)
4=. Paul Hammond (Atomic Rooster)
7. Lee Kerslake (Uriah Heep, Blizzard of Oz)
8=. Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)
8=. Tony Fernandez (Rick Wakeman)
10. Wolfgang Dziony (Scorpions)

Honourable mentions to Gene Krupa, Bill Bruford (too many bands!), Mitch Mitchell and Lars Ulrich (Metallica)

Tough one for me - been back and forth to this for a while and you can tell by the number of = positions. First four picked themselves for me - Adrian is very creative and technically excellent. Never been lucky enough to see The Breakfast, except on DVD, but I've never heard Adrian play a bad night. Cass, is a legend - the only drummer I have ever seen who (deservedly) got a standing ovation at a gig - and that was before he had even picked up his sticks! Tony Z makes my list as he is such an entertaining, physical drummer. However, I don't recommend anyone standing 10' away from him in the 100 club for a whole gig - my eardrums actually hurt for a couple of days. Find a video of him playing on 'The Yodel Song' and watch the express train in action!!And as for Abts, I don't remember enjoying a drum solo as much as when I last saw Mule.

Paul Hammond is a name few will know, but his playing on the 'Death Walks Behind You' and 'In Hearing Of' albums is inspired. If you don't believe me, check out your DVD of BBC's 'Life On Mars' - Atomic Rooster featured on the soundtrack more than any other artist. And a word on my number 10. I doubt anyone's heard of him either, but he played on one of my favourite (and unknown) albums of the 70s, Lonesome Crow. His jazz-inspired work on that album alone puts him on my list.

Hmmm, now about those keyboard players....

Edited by - boombox on 14/12/2009 17:53:06
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  00:21:27  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi boombox just a quick question, so when was Rick Parnell drumming with Atomic Rooster. He was a local kid from round here in South London and I met him a few times. And mention of Rooster, ok, 10 maddest keyboard players Vince Crane 1-10 all of them.RIP.
Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  17:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parnell came in after Palmer left, but only temporarily. Hammond and guitarist John DuCann left (wisely, perhaps) when Chris Farlowe came on board for Made In England, so Parnell came back again then. Fine drummer, but Rooster without DuCann does nothing for me. And as for Vincent Crane, he's number 2 on my overall keyboard players list and number one on my Hammond organ players list.
Go to Top of Page

stevieg
First Love

10 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  01:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Somehow the following were missed....

Mick Waller

Barrie Wilson (Procol Harum and sadly deceased) Possible the most melodic drummer in all of rock.

s
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  17:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevieg

Greetings,

Somehow the following were missed....

Mick Waller

Barrie Wilson (Procol Harum and sadly deceased) Possible the most melodic drummer in all of rock.

s

Great ones for sure. Mick Waller (RIP) is so good with Jeff Beck.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  17:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and WELCOME, stevieg!

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  20:52:38  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi boombox
Really sorry I missed your reply about Rick Parnell, must have gone onto another topic. Rick of course was the son of famous British drummer and band leader Jack Parnell. Another local that was with Rooster and Crazy World of Arthur Brown was John Goodsall who went under various names Johnny Mandala etc. Fantastic guitarist even when very young, used to play in the corner at parties here, started off playing with Carol Grimes Delivery and went on through to Brand X with Phil Collins et al....and it was probably his idea to call an album Morrocan Roll as the problem (?) he had was probably what stopped him being really famous. Once came into a room where I was rehearsing with a band and turned all my P.A. amps off and then turned them straight back on again. Could have caused serious damage to amps and speakers etc but he thought it was really funny as he was totally off his head. Mention of C.W o.A.B takes me back to a local festival in the late 60's very early in the days of festivals but the lineup was pretty good. 2 Day festival at August Holiday time , held in the very large car park of the local (S.W. London) Horse Race track.Acts included Spencer Davies Group, Jethro Tull just after their first Album release, Deep Purple, only just released Black Night, The Nice with Keith Emmerson and lots of other Rock, blues and folk artists. This is allegedly where foldback/monitor systems were thought of, a blues solo guitar and harp player called Duster Bennett (RIP) was annoyed that he could not hear himself on stage and arranged with Charlie Watkins of WEM (Watkins Electrical Music) who built and provided the PA equipment for most festivals consisting of banks of 4 x 12 cabinets, mixed from the side of the stage using very basic 6 into 2 mixers with an echo send, ..... to connect the echo send to a power amp and a loudspeaker facing him. It worked and so foldback was born. Back to the gig, towards the end of the first evening,Crazy world of A.B were going through the usual set doing 'Fire' with Arthur and his bowl of petrol on his head and the roadie flicking matches at it to set it alight. They got to the part where Arthur says 'I am the God of Hell fire and I bring you ' and then he went into a great list of obscure things.'I bring you the Dagenham Girl Pipers ' and they went across stage. 'I bring you ..... and .... 'and they all appeared and walked across the stage. He was also supposed to say 'I bring you Eric Clapton'(and it was no secret that Clapton was going to play) but before he could say that a 30 metre long piece of wooden covered walkway at the side of the racetrack where lots of kids had climbed up on the roof and were shouting Clapton, Clapton,and stamping their feet, ... collapsed like a pack of cards, with a huge bang and the kids and people underneath and everybody else were screaming, (unfortunately several were badly hurt). Arthur saw this happening and said 'I am the God of hellfire and I bring you .....Oh ****...!! so Clapton never got to play and that was pretty much the end of the evening as it was very dark and the medical people and everbody were trying to haul people out. Festival was originally sponsored by the Marquee Club in London where the Stones , Yardbirds, etc appeared.(now turned into a Terence Conran Restaurant) The same festival still continues today on August Bank Holiday weekend and has been moved about and gone through several changes of style and music content, Reading heavy metal etc.
Oh dear, feeling old now.
Harvey the Roadie.
Go to Top of Page

stevieg
First Love

10 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  20:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leomanade,

THX!!!!

s
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic