Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 What's in your listening room- analog or digital?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  18:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just a curious kind of guy in general, so I was wondering what kind of equipment the folks on this board use to enjoy their music! I'll go first: I have two Phase Linear four hundred watt amps, each bridged as a mono-block: one Mcintosh tube or "valve" preamp: two B&W 802 speakers: A Lynn Sondek turntable: A Theta Cd player: A Technics 1500 reel to real tape deck and Monster Cable connects and wire thru-out. As is obvious I'm an "Analog" Man

What's in your room?

GMM

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  22:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm analog of course, gmm.....but just with a VERY old SONY (state of the art...in 1971!) direct drive with a Garrard TT...still sounds great!

The speaker and TT are encased in real WALNUT....it looks good still.
I wish I had gotten the Reel-to-reel and the tuner that matched , but I was just a poor kid.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/04/2010 22:42:18
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2010 :  19:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about any of you but I had a very very lousy system to hear my records back when. Today when I pop on ANYTHING in my system the sound is well 10,000 times what I "remembered" it to be. I hear sounds today I never heard. My system isn't terribly expensive but I did put a few more bucks into the Klipsch speakers when I bought them a few years ago.
Go to Top of Page

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  05:09:31  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Do you guys listen to Love on vinyl by chance?

Around late 1996 or early 1997, I was first exposed to Love by a friend. He had Da Capo and Four Sail on vinyl and gave them to me. Thats what got me started. Then I bought the Rhino two cd set Love Story, which exposed Forever Changes to me since it included the entire album, along with most of the first album.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  14:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..tedhead...I'd like to ask what was your first reaction when you heard FC for the first time?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  16:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have all the LOVE vinyl and it is my preferred listen...but that is
generally the case....especially my mono Fresh Cream, Electric Music
For The Mind and Body, Kinks, Stones, Beatles & LOVE.....all on VINYL!!!

First time I heard FC, rocker, I knew I was experiencing something
very different, but I was not blown away. I wanted to like it because
of all I read......But after 2 listens I was totally hooked.

Music that sounds so different to our ears can be unsettling at first
and my brother's first reaction was ..."I don't like it".
Now he loves FC!!

The first time I heard the tripped out ending to "The Good Humor
Man..." I actually thought I had a bad piece of vinyl!

Listeners today many times need the familiar, they need to be
comfortable with their food, TV and music....no challenges.

Reminds me of "Fahrenheit 451".....comfortably numb......

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/04/2010 16:50:17
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  17:07:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good lk.. and I learned alot about music from FC...never ever give a piece of music less than 10 listens! Just think if I ended at 9..
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  17:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once you've listened to Forever Changes on vinyl, you realize you have never really "heard" this music, especially if digital is your only reference!

A House is not a Motel, has a beautiful guitar counterpoint between Echols and Maclean
that is totally missing on the cd version. All of the live dynamics have been compresed
out of the music. You Set the Scene sounds like a different song altogether.

The very nature of the digital format, causes the converters to decide what is kept and what is discarded. With analog (or analogue for my friends on the other side of the ocean) you hear all of the music noise and all!

If you have the opportunity to do a blindfold test between the two mediums, especially
on a "quality" system, the results will be "ear opening!"

GMM

Go to Top of Page

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  19:46:28  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

..tedhead...I'd like to ask what was your first reaction when you heard FC for the first time?

Lets see, I liked it, even tho it wasn't what I was expecting. Usually when I think of psychedelic music, I think of freak out strange avant garde stuff (blame Pink Floyd since they were the first band of this genre that I liked), or at least something like Da Capo witch could get pretty out there in some of the songs. But I took it as the beginning of "pastoral folk psychedelia" of the time, like the more mellow songs on Pink Floyd's "More" soundtrack, or "Today" by Jefferson Airplane. The kind of psychedelia you get from acoustic guitars.

I thought the songs were beautiful, not to mention the lyrics on the album just knocked me out. The first one that I really latched onto was "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale". A friend who was into psych-garage music had just discoverd Love around 2000 or so, and asked me what my favorite song was, I replied that one. It started disc 2 of "Love Story", so it was like flipping the record over. When the reissue with bonus tracks came out around the time Arthur was touring again around 2002 or so, I bought it. I never got around to the 2 disc set of Forever Changes.

I did pick up that dvd concert the day it came out, and it just made my head explode.

I would love to get my hands on a 180gram vinyl copy.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  20:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tedhead

quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Lets see, I liked it, even tho it wasn't what I was expecting. Usually when I think of psychedelic music, I think of freak out strange avant garde stuff (blame Pink Floyd since they were the first band of this genre that I liked), or at least something like Da Capo witch could get pretty out there in some of the songs. But I took it as the beginning of "pastoral folk psychedelia" of the time, like the more mellow songs on Pink Floyd's "More" soundtrack, or "Today" by Jefferson Airplane. The kind of psychedelia you get from acoustic guitars.

I thought the songs were beautiful, not to mention the lyrics on the album just knocked me out. The first one that I really latched onto was "Maybe the People Would Be the Times or Between Clark and Hilldale". A friend who was into psych-garage music had just discoverd Love around 2000 or so, and asked me what my favorite song was, I replied that one. It started disc 2 of "Love Story", so it was like flipping the record over. When the reissue with bonus tracks came out around the time Arthur was touring again around 2002 or so, I bought it. I never got around to the 2 disc set of Forever Changes.

I did pick up that dvd concert the day it came out, and it just made my head explode.

I would love to get my hands on a 180gram vinyl copy.

180's have been issued....better jump on 'em.

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  22:06:48  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I plan to, just found them online.

As for equipment, I have a standard Technics 1200 turntable for vinyl that is hooked up to two stereo Pioneer speakers: the same ones I have my computer hooked up to (I hate little computer speakers). I also have Sony DJ headphones when I want that experience. That is for regular stereo listening.

For multi channel, I have a Sony 5.1 surround system and a sacd/dvd-video player for my multi channel cds and concert dvds. I can't give specific specs because I am not at home right now.

The Forever Changes Concert gets the 5.1 surround treatment every time for sure, just like all my concert dvds. It makes for a nice double feature with Cream's reunion dvd at the Royal Albert Hall, or David Gilmour's Remember That Night (also at the Royal Albert Hall).

I love surround studio albums when it is done right. That's how I listen to Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan...I don't have any of The Doors reissues yet, and have wondered if they are any good. I have heard mixed things.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  22:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gmm.....

You know I have my original copy of FC from way back when but frankly it's beat up bad bad bad from the years. It's only use now is as a piece of art on my wall. Yes, time to get a new vinyl.
I guess I have been seduced by cd through all the years...
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  04:13:53  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a Kenwood automatic turntable, JVC CD/DVD/VHS Player, Pioneer receiver, Technics cassette deck, and a set of 11 inch woofer 3 way Yamaha speakers. The receiver has "speakers A and B, sometimes I play both sets of speakers at the same time. Speakers "B" are behind me , so it's like a double stereo, and are All low-middle end basic stuff that does well for my little apartment. Sometimes I need to use my headphones to not disturb the neighbors. don't you wish everybody did? I need a house to blast it! I usually have it all set on low volume, but would like to turn it all up past "10" to "11" !!!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page