Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Ten favorite drummers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lemonade kid Posted - 12/12/2009 : 03:19:19
Mitch Mitchell
Ginger Baker
Ringo
Ed Cass Cassidy
Michael Stuart-Ware
Levon Helm
Dennis Wilson
Keith Moon
John Bonham
Nick Mason
Hal Blaine
Mike Shrieve (Santana)
Carmin Apice
Mike Giles (King Crimson)

Ok, ok, I broke my own rules by listing more than TEN, but I could have named more...so I wish to see all yours!

PS> Harvey...have I heard your drumming ...what might I have heard you on?

Bobinbed Posted - 23/04/2010 : 18:34:55

Virgil Donati

[URL=http://img402.imageshack.us/i/mediapictures.gif/][/URL]

- "What do you mean it's a literary high?"
- "It's a Kafka high. It makes you feel like a bug."
lemonade kid Posted - 23/04/2010 : 17:29:31
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Eno, eh? Now I kind of feel good since I have most of his stuff with Roxy and what he's done in his solo career and colloborations. His work to me was just the situation I had with FC. Took a while for me to get "under" the music and see what it was all about. I think he's a creative genius.

And thanks for the heads up on Alexis. I wasn't aware that he was behind that Brit blues boom.

I love the ENO/Cale collaborations!

rocker Posted - 23/04/2010 : 14:28:51
Eno, eh? Now I kind of feel good since I have most of his stuff with Roxy and what he's done in his solo career and colloborations. His work to me was just the situation I had with FC. Took a while for me to get "under" the music and see what it was all about. I think he's a creative genius.

And thanks for the heads up on Alexis. I wasn't aware that he was behind that Brit blues boom.
harvey Posted - 22/04/2010 : 22:47:51
Hi Rocker
Has to be Brian Eno. Done so many things and in the background of lots of others. Or if you want an oldie but gone now, Alexis Korner, totally dedicated to the blues and one of the reasons for the British blues boom of the sixties which started so many musicians off on the road to fame and fortune (?) I question mark that because his present to his son Damien on his 18th birthday was an enormous block of a certain high quality 'substance' which showed his attitude to music and musicians. You had to be in the right frame of mind to be a good musician. Hence the problems that many have had over the years with 'substances'.Wonderful man and greatly missed.
Harvey the Roadie
rocker Posted - 22/04/2010 : 14:28:04
harvey...just thought I'd ask you something since you were a "roadie" and certainly got around meeting people...
In your estimation who do you think was the keenest musician you ever met in rock in your travels and why???....thanks ahead!..

boombox Posted - 22/04/2010 : 14:22:45
Nice story, Harvey!
lemonade kid Posted - 16/04/2010 : 22:20:19
That's what Arthur said, considering the drummers he knew, which were great ones....."Michael is the best...."

Sometimes, restraint is the hardest part of drumming...knowing when to use it and when to let it fly!

gatemouthmoore Posted - 15/04/2010 : 21:12:00
With out any doubt, Michael Stuart Ware is the most inovative, tasteful,and overall best drummer period! He is not the loudest,flashiest,nor is he the most dramatic, he is just the best there is

GMM
stevieg Posted - 15/04/2010 : 20:58:53
Leomanade,

THX!!!!

s
harvey Posted - 14/04/2010 : 20:52:38
Hi boombox
Really sorry I missed your reply about Rick Parnell, must have gone onto another topic. Rick of course was the son of famous British drummer and band leader Jack Parnell. Another local that was with Rooster and Crazy World of Arthur Brown was John Goodsall who went under various names Johnny Mandala etc. Fantastic guitarist even when very young, used to play in the corner at parties here, started off playing with Carol Grimes Delivery and went on through to Brand X with Phil Collins et al....and it was probably his idea to call an album Morrocan Roll as the problem (?) he had was probably what stopped him being really famous. Once came into a room where I was rehearsing with a band and turned all my P.A. amps off and then turned them straight back on again. Could have caused serious damage to amps and speakers etc but he thought it was really funny as he was totally off his head. Mention of C.W o.A.B takes me back to a local festival in the late 60's very early in the days of festivals but the lineup was pretty good. 2 Day festival at August Holiday time , held in the very large car park of the local (S.W. London) Horse Race track.Acts included Spencer Davies Group, Jethro Tull just after their first Album release, Deep Purple, only just released Black Night, The Nice with Keith Emmerson and lots of other Rock, blues and folk artists. This is allegedly where foldback/monitor systems were thought of, a blues solo guitar and harp player called Duster Bennett (RIP) was annoyed that he could not hear himself on stage and arranged with Charlie Watkins of WEM (Watkins Electrical Music) who built and provided the PA equipment for most festivals consisting of banks of 4 x 12 cabinets, mixed from the side of the stage using very basic 6 into 2 mixers with an echo send, ..... to connect the echo send to a power amp and a loudspeaker facing him. It worked and so foldback was born. Back to the gig, towards the end of the first evening,Crazy world of A.B were going through the usual set doing 'Fire' with Arthur and his bowl of petrol on his head and the roadie flicking matches at it to set it alight. They got to the part where Arthur says 'I am the God of Hell fire and I bring you ' and then he went into a great list of obscure things.'I bring you the Dagenham Girl Pipers ' and they went across stage. 'I bring you ..... and .... 'and they all appeared and walked across the stage. He was also supposed to say 'I bring you Eric Clapton'(and it was no secret that Clapton was going to play) but before he could say that a 30 metre long piece of wooden covered walkway at the side of the racetrack where lots of kids had climbed up on the roof and were shouting Clapton, Clapton,and stamping their feet, ... collapsed like a pack of cards, with a huge bang and the kids and people underneath and everybody else were screaming, (unfortunately several were badly hurt). Arthur saw this happening and said 'I am the God of hellfire and I bring you .....Oh ****...!! so Clapton never got to play and that was pretty much the end of the evening as it was very dark and the medical people and everbody were trying to haul people out. Festival was originally sponsored by the Marquee Club in London where the Stones , Yardbirds, etc appeared.(now turned into a Terence Conran Restaurant) The same festival still continues today on August Bank Holiday weekend and has been moved about and gone through several changes of style and music content, Reading heavy metal etc.
Oh dear, feeling old now.
Harvey the Roadie.
lemonade kid Posted - 14/04/2010 : 17:08:04
...and WELCOME, stevieg!

lemonade kid Posted - 14/04/2010 : 17:06:54
quote:
Originally posted by stevieg

Greetings,

Somehow the following were missed....

Mick Waller

Barrie Wilson (Procol Harum and sadly deceased) Possible the most melodic drummer in all of rock.

s

Great ones for sure. Mick Waller (RIP) is so good with Jeff Beck.

stevieg Posted - 14/04/2010 : 01:35:20
Greetings,

Somehow the following were missed....

Mick Waller

Barrie Wilson (Procol Harum and sadly deceased) Possible the most melodic drummer in all of rock.

s
boombox Posted - 15/12/2009 : 17:48:26
Parnell came in after Palmer left, but only temporarily. Hammond and guitarist John DuCann left (wisely, perhaps) when Chris Farlowe came on board for Made In England, so Parnell came back again then. Fine drummer, but Rooster without DuCann does nothing for me. And as for Vincent Crane, he's number 2 on my overall keyboard players list and number one on my Hammond organ players list.
harvey Posted - 15/12/2009 : 00:21:27
Hi boombox just a quick question, so when was Rick Parnell drumming with Atomic Rooster. He was a local kid from round here in South London and I met him a few times. And mention of Rooster, ok, 10 maddest keyboard players Vince Crane 1-10 all of them.RIP.
Harvey the roadie

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page