Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  01:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if theres much Arthur that hasn't surfaced

Theres mention of tracks like "Pinky pinky toes"
& "Seperate the men from the boys" in old issues of the Castle (which also talk of Arthur doing a deal with Creation Records

But I don't think theres much unreleased Arthur that hasn't been heard, unfortunately. Its great theres new stuff on the Love Lost (has anyone else heard the acoustic track by Arthur "For a day"? thats a new one on me

I remember when the New Rose album came out, Arthur was plugging it on WFMU's Music Faucet (oh if I still had the tape!)

He did "Thats the way it goes" and did a short interview

Okay, there was a 4 track cd that came out in 2003 (?) with Arthur Lee songs like "Rainbow in the storm" (which apparently Baby Lemonade wrote? can anyone confirm)

The other songs weren't too memorable, as I recall (I was listening to them on the BBC site) but he did do "Rainbow in the storm" live in Brooklyn at the Warsaw when Love last played there

Gotta say, I'm impressed with Love Lost. Good to hear the band ROCKING OUT

Other unreleased Arthur, still .. theres Real to Reel, outtakes from that album.. Maybe some live Love from their heyday (67/8) will turn up some day (then fans can see how much "Revelation" owes to them doing "Smokestack lightning" live!)

Perhaps the new biography to be published by Jawbone will talk of the pre Love material, any "Great Lost Albums" that might be out there. I remember when the 1st Nick Drake bio came out, it came to light that there was a REALLY RARE album (Interplay One) that Nick played 2nd guitar on

I like the outtakes from the New Rose (Could've been you, etc), certainly - kinda katchy r&b, reminds me of Raydio LOL!

maybe they'll see release one of these years on a New Rose box or something. Who knows? there seems to be a New Rose Box out now (and I had thought the company went bust!)
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  03:46:49  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Castleblue Records released the EP:" Love On Earth Must Be", with Arthur and Baby Lemonade, 2004.
rainbow in the storm
all i want is you
love me
message to pretty
feathered fish
i have a copy.anyone else?

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  04:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The argument that post Forever Changes are essentially Arthur Lee solo records makes a lot of sense to me. Those bands were extremely great players, but as a unit they didn't function with the same swagger, vibe or ethos as the original lineup.

No Bryan, no Johnny for Arthur to react to, or maybe in some cases even against. All of that leads to an entirely organic trip. Not to mention they all started out essentially together.

Baby Lemonade were great players playing Arthur's music basically and when they did make new music together it seemed to be more chaotic than anything else. Love became Arthur the way that The Brian Jonestown Massacre is basically Anton Newcombe.

I agree with ZFarrar and The Blues Singer. Its just one angle but an angle that makes sense to me. I love Four Sail, and Out Here very much but they could have easily been Arthur Lee solo records. They had hints of some influence from Johnny Echols and Bryan MacLean but they were the beginning of a whole new ballgame for Lee and his various bandmates.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  08:44:01  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's not a question of 'lightening up', as ZFarrar has suggested, it's just a matter of saying that you are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else but no-one, me, you or anyone, can really say something is a 'fact' when it's just an opinion no matter how much you believe it personally.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  16:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely all we need to do to resolve this one is to go to Arthur's own lyrics:

"Once I had a singing group, singing group doggone
Now I've got another group, didn't take too long".

Edited by - John9 on 12/11/2009 16:55:59
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  17:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Surely all we need to do to resolve this one is to go to Arthur's own lyrics:

"Once I had a singing group, singing group doggone
Now I've got another group, didn't take too long".

That simple tune and lyric ..from one of my favorite Lee songs... And "Gather Round" fits in at the end of "Love Story" without missing a beat. "Gather Round" is a favorite song for me!!...by any band...of any era.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  16:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know; I still think "Beep beep" is one of the mans best songs

Did he ever tackle that one live? Scott?
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2009 :  04:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Arthur wrote Beep Beep with Melvan. I can't wait for the day Black Beauty is released.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  04:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Mel playing guitar on an episode of Moral Court I have on video LOL!

I'm trying to decide whether to bother to transfer that to dvdr!

the episode (off ABC TV here in the US) also had my personal hero the Naked Cowboy
(hope he still plays at Times Square!)
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  19:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

I have Mel playing guitar on an episode of Moral Court I have on video LOL!

I'm trying to decide whether to bother to transfer that to dvdr!

the episode (off ABC TV here in the US) also had my personal hero the Naked Cowboy
(hope he still plays at Times Square!)

KD: And that Naked Cowboy is nothing but a fraud. He's ripping off
the ORIGINAL - Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys from SF. Sadly,
Buck was murdered by a deranged homeless guy in GG Park around 10 years ago or so..........

Free the Cowboys !
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  21:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was Buck Naked in the Church of the Subgenius (praise "Bob"!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page