Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:21:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got it today, have listened to the first 1/2 or so. For fans of Arthur's vocals, it doesn't get any better than this! They alternate the acoustic demos with full band takes, which provides a nice contrast.

Almost all of the songs are familiar territory for many of us here - having been on Vindicator, Black Beauty, etc. - but there's a raw immediacy and freshness to these takes that makes this collection essential. IMO, of course :)

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  23:00:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this review, Ruxprncd. I haven't ordered it yet.....but I must admit......I am tempted! I would be interested to know, if you've time, what the booklet is like....and how much documentation there is about the sessions themselves.

Edited by - John9 on 07/11/2009 23:23:40
Go to Top of Page

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  01:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is quite a bit of commentary about the sessions, with a lot of quotes from Don Poncher and others. All in all, the packaging is very well done and includes a great pic of Arthur (sitting on a tire, lol).
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  09:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that.....I must admit, I've always had it in for Vindicator. Back in 1972, I think that I must have been one of the first people in Britain to own it.......having made a special 200 mile daytrip to buy an import copy on London's Oxford St. I remember cradling the beautifully designed gatefold edition for the entire train journey home. But I also remember being bitterly disappointed when I first played it....and my fondness for it has not grown for it during the years since. All this said, I've had my appetite whetted by the short excerpts that were available on the Sundazed website....in their unplugged versions, some of those songs definitely have something! In Arthur's own words (from Time is Like a River)...."maybe I will, maybe I won't, the time is near".

Edited by - John9 on 09/11/2009 09:19:28
Go to Top of Page

The Freedom Man
Old Love

Netherlands
553 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  16:24:32  Show Profile  Visit The Freedom Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just got mine in and I just LOVE it!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  18:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruxprncd

There is quite a bit of commentary about the sessions, with a lot of quotes from Don Poncher and others. All in all, the packaging is very well done and includes a great pic of Arthur (sitting on a tire, lol).

KD: All in all, a great release with the brutal exception of
Good / Evil. And there are two versions of it no less ! Looks
like Arthur made the right decsion of leaving this sexist and
racist rant in the vaults. After hearing this it's not surprising
that the CBS suits were put off.

Free the lyrics !
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  04:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Video review here of the cd if you wanna see what it looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QglIH97fu2U

Gonna order the 2lp shortly to have the non-cd tracks (instrumentals & etc

"For a day"
is a new one to me! and on acoustic no less

Fans of Hendrix will like this one. I'm still listening to it, so I'm reserving judgement at the mo!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  11:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for this link Joe - I found it to be really helpful. Curiously it seems to be the only Love album not to display the familiar Love logo on its sleeve...unless I've missed it. There did seem to be a faint suggestion of it on the disc...but perhaps that's just my rather fanciful imagination.

Despite my earlier resolution, I have just ordered CD directly from Sundazed....and it is now too late to change my mind...all of a sudden, I feel at peace.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  12:01:08  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Thanks for this link Joe - I found it to be really helpful. Curiously it seems to be the only Love album not to display the familiar Love logo on its sleeve...unless I've missed it. There did seem to be a faint suggestion of it on the disc...but perhaps that's just my rather fanciful imagination.

Despite my earlier resolution, I have just ordered CD directly from Sundazed....and it is now too late to change my mind...all of a sudden, I feel at peace.

John, it was much cheaper to get it elsewhere... Sundazed are the most expensive suppliers of it, funny really when you think they don't even have the middlemen the other places do. Their shipping costs to the UK are way too high as well.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  17:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Love logo is in BLACK mate LOL!

its a little hard to see on the package!
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  19:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

the Love logo is in BLACK mate LOL!

its a little hard to see on the package!

KD: As is the album title on the front of the CD.

Free the titles !
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  02:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am so psyched about this record.

Its being released as a Love album and not an Arthur Lee record correct?

Anyone check out the wikipedia article on Arthur? There is mention of Love Lost.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  03:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its a Love release

according to the liners
noone knows where the title for the album
Dear You
came from!
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  04:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dear You would have made a cool title. Jawbreaker wound up using it for their debut album in the 90's.
Go to Top of Page

tobilynne
First Love

3 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  19:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know when Sundazed plans on shipping the vinyl version? I know the CD had been delayed, and is showing available now, but the LP is still showing "soon".
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  17:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tobilynne - I've heard that it is the vinyl edition that has been delayed so. It is very frustrating, I know, to have to wait even longer for something you have been looking forward to.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page