Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  19:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by finelyfree

KD: Well Arthur had the Elektra contract and the offers for
gigs. He fired them all and got in new guys and called them Love
and put out new records for other labels as well . I guess I (and Elektra records and Jimi Hendrix too for that matter) believed Arthur.

Free the Love !

It is because of the perpetuation of these bold-faced lies that some key members do not post here anymore.

KD: Just pulled out my copy of Michael Stuart Ware's book -
re the "new" Love that showed up for the last Elektra Album "Four Sale". Go to page 194:

"And then one day my phone rang - it was Bryan."Michael - did you hear the news ? Arthur's put a new group together to record the last
album we owe Elektra. It's just going to be him and a bunch of new guys and he's going to call them Love !"

Either Michael's another "bold faced liar" or Arthur really did
fire them all. Doesn't sound like anybody quit here. Here's hoping that these key members return some day...........

Free the members !
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  01:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its hard to define these things (breakup)

I'm reading Norman's recent book on Lennon,
and it seems the break up of the Beatles was never
certain, at least until McCartney took the others to court

the most recent issue of Rolling Stone posits that
Lennon never really meant to break up the group, but it
just fell out that way. McCartney turned out to be the last
one to leave, and it wasn't what he wanted to do (he drank and
didn't wash at his farm for ages)

But it was he who broke the news to everyone with his
first solo album as an enclosed Q&A and even then it was incredibly vague. He doesn't come right out and say "The Beatles are DONE

I think Lennon did that later in "God"

Echols from the Four Sail liners:

"Bryan said, "You know what Jac Holzman talked to me and he told me that Elektra is interested in doing an album with me. I said "You're kidding!" We always thought of his songs as kind of 'show tunish'. We never saw Bryan ever making it on his own. It was kind of funny to me and I went back and told Arthur, just kind of tripping. "Can you believe this Elektra, they actually bull****ted Bryan into believing they were going to release an album." Arthur just blew it. He said, "To hell with that, we gotta fire all those fools." We talked about him and me starting over again and saying how we shouldn't be giving these guys a percentage and they shouldn't be on the contract, we should be paying them as sidemen. He was just basically stroking my ego. I knew that was bull****; he was just trying to play me. So, I went along with the trip and we played one more time at a place called the Cheetah. That was the last straw for me. Mike Gruber our manager gave the money to Arthur and I came to get my money and Arthur said, "I paid you." We got into a hassle about that. So he said, "I'll give you this money if I don't ever have to see you again." Arthur later apologized but I wasn't accepting"

Go to Top of Page

aldo
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  02:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't post here much but would like to express a view on this, I think its cool Johnny Echols and baby lemonade are touring as they are great at what they do and Johnny being an important part of the original love makes it fair to call it that if they are only doing songs from the love back catalouge, there is a yardbirds with no clapton page or beck and a sun ra arkestra with out sun ra and they put on a great show, personally I hope it all goes well for johnny and mike etc but I couldnt go to see them as it was Arthurs voice and stage presence that drew me to love in the first place to hear those songs live but not having him there would for me be heartbreaking because anyone who seen Arthur would know what they were missing, but all said thats is just my pesonal opinion and I hope it goes well for them and that anyone going to see them has a great time.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  19:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the new bio about Arthur and Love being released in Sept of 2010--too long to
wait!....we will actually get an in-depth, for the first time, account of every incarnation of
LoVE..and Arthur's/LoVE's journey, right up through Arthur's passing.
An intimate look at Arthur & LoVE-- well documented, as always.

Some "revelations" to be had for sure.

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/09/2009 19:23:21
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2009 :  20:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and I'm hoping, hoping that besides the apparent "personal" stuff that finds its way in those "revelations" they'll be plenty on the MUSIC and how they worked so everybody will get a real good presentation of the band. Time for them to get in the sun....
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  00:07:40  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

With the new bio about Arthur and Love being released in Sept of 2010--too long to
wait!....we will actually get an in-depth, for the first time, account of every incarnation of
LoVE..and Arthur's/LoVE's journey, right up through Arthur's passing.
An intimate look at Arthur & LoVE-- well documented, as always.

Some "revelations" to be had for sure.

--william saroyan

Not sure your post belongs in this thread really but, as it is, all I want to say is... well, I prefer to wait and see.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  08:28:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Yes and I'm hoping, hoping that besides the apparent "personal" stuff that finds its way in those "revelations" they'll be plenty on the MUSIC and how they worked so everybody will get a real good presentation of the band. Time for them to get in the sun....

Yes Rocker - there have been too many biographies in which people have had axes to grind. I'm hoping that this latest one will give equal value to the later lineups. Hoskyns' book I thought was myopic in that it could only see any merit in Love's first three albums. And his claim that not a single track on Four Sail or Out Here could come close to matching even the weakest track on Love's first, I found ludicrous in the extreme. But then I suppose that's in the nature of biographies....different ones keep appearing until a more balanced picture emerges.

Edited by - John9 on 10/09/2009 08:31:59
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  10:48:30  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:

Yes Rocker - there have been too many biographies in which people have had axes to grind. I'm hoping that this latest one will give equal value to the later lineups. Hoskyns' book I thought was myopic in that it could only see any merit in Love's first three albums. And his claim that not a single track on Four Sail or Out Here could come close to matching even the weakest track on Love's first, I found ludicrous in the extreme. But then I suppose that's in the nature of biographies....different ones keep appearing until a more balanced picture emerges.

You are very correct here, the nature of bigographies, even 'authorised ones' tends to mean they approach a subject from the angle that suits them or, of course, the angle of the person who 'authorised' the biography. Sadly, getting a full picture from one biography is like looking for a needle in a haystack, it just doesn't happen and all you can do is read them and trust your instincts. Only a very naive person would believe everything written in any biography and, of course, those about Arthur/Love will be no different.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  22:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a bio, such as this, can only be written with second-hand viewpoints, or already written info
(as with Arthur, Bryan, Ken-- RIP), & thru interviews with those who either played with, or
knew them----then, of course, everything will have to be taken with a grain of salt, but a
well written and researched bio will give a balanced (when possible) & measured approach.

I've found that Einarson qualifies any statements made by those associated with the
subject--we know not take them as gospel., but as an interesting & valid view point.
With hundreds of hours of research and interviews
with as many people as possible (or who are willing), I'm sure it will be interesting, at the least.
& at its best, entertaining and enlightening. No reason to think this will not live up to the other fine bios by J.E.

Sorry for putting this thread in this topic, but I guess since we had discussed similar things
here ( I think)... I didn't really want to start a new one.

Cheers all. I think any new book about Love (as rocker and J9 just wrote), will always add
some new slant to Love, hopefully some revelations, and will only help to raise Love's profile!

Keep em coming!

--william saroyan

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/09/2009 22:57:40
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  08:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think he's writing it because:
1. He's a huge Love fan abd wants to see the best possible book about Love out there?
2. He wants to 'raise Love's profile'?
3. He's a hack writer who write about anyone if he thinks there's a few $$ in it?
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  12:13:19  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scully

Do you think he's writing it because:
1. He's a huge Love fan abd wants to see the best possible book about Love out there?
2. He wants to 'raise Love's profile'?
3. He's a hack writer who write about anyone if he thinks there's a few $$ in it?

I think we know the answer to this don't we? However, not sure I can be bothered to go through all this again and really don't know why the subject needs discussing again, to be honest to LK.

Edited by - caryne on 11/09/2009 12:43:11
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  14:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and I'll just mention that it would be nice if some of you here get quoted. How would that be for validity, eh??? Now we have Torben here for example. I'll call him the "quiet man". I think "quiet men" usually have alot of knowledge!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  14:30:00  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

...and I'll just mention that it would be nice if some of you here get quoted. How would that be for validity, eh??? Now we have Torben here for example. I'll call him the "quiet man". I think "quiet men" usually have alot of knowledge!

I do agree with you that Torben needs to get a lot more credit for everything he does.

As for being quoted, well, not sure who really wants that kind of recognition and not sure it's needed for any kind of 'validity' either.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  16:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a Torbenesque manner.... sidestepping some personal vendettas.....with no comment.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  17:23:41  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

In a Torbenesque manner.... sidestepping some personal vendettas.....with no comment.

--william saroyan

Best thing to do.....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page