Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  21:55:35  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the Memphis photoshoot band started touring as "Love", I bet a lot of the naysayers here would come down on the side of Mike, Rusty, Daddio and Johnny!
Thankfully, Arthur had the foresight (I'm told) to trademark the Love logo which has effectively stopped any other musical aggregation from calling itself "Love". I'm sure there are plenty of other groups that wish they could use the name but instead they have to settle for "Love & Rockets" or "Love Sculpture" (remember them?) or "Love Unlimited", etc.

So presumably Diane Lee now owns the rights to the band name "Love" and if she has given her approval to Mike, Rusty, Daddio & Johnny, then legally that ends the discussion. Anything beyond that is just a ****ers debate!

Aside from the legalities though, Arthur always maintained that whoever was in his current band was Love. Perhaps Arthur has a new "Love" band in the hereafter. But Mike, Rusty, Daddio and Johnny are "Love" on Earth. And as Arthur was fond of saying, "Love on Earth Must Be!"

Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  21:57:53  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL, I can't believe W-A-N-K got censored above!
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  22:07:00  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jazmaan

If the Memphis photoshoot band started touring as "Love", I bet a lot of the naysayers here would come down on the side of Mike, Rusty, Daddio and Johnny!
Thankfully, Arthur had the foresight (I'm told) to trademark the Love logo which has effectively stopped any other musical aggregation from calling itself "Love". I'm sure there are plenty of other groups that wish they could use the name but instead they have to settle for "Love & Rockets" or "Love Sculpture" (remember them?) or "Love Unlimited", etc.

So presumably Diane Lee now owns the rights to the band name "Love" and if she has given her approval to Mike, Rusty, Daddio & Johnny, then legally that ends the discussion. Anything beyond that is just a ****ers debate!

Aside from the legalities though, Arthur always maintained that whoever was in his current band was Love. Perhaps Arthur has a new "Love" band in the hereafter. But Mike, Rusty, Daddio and Johnny are "Love" on Earth. And as Arthur was fond of saying, "Love on Earth Must Be!"

Thank you so much for this post, jazzman. I too hope this nonsense ends here.
Go to Top of Page

Tina
Old Love

United Kingdom
678 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  22:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Tina's Homepage  Click to see Tina's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jazmaan, well said!
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  22:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Jazmaan!
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  22:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well said Jazmaan, that'll do for me

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  22:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whatever stances have been taken here by so many longstanding contributors, I do regret that the debate we have had has been so described - I wasn't in the least bit surprised that this unfortunate epithet was censored.

Edited by - John9 on 19/08/2009 23:00:59
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  23:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:

Whatever stances have been taken here by so many longstanding contributors, I do regret that the debate we have had has been so described - I wasn't in the least bit surprised that this unfortunate epithet was censored.

Right on! John9....since when is a debate here (if all opinions are valid) one between one all knowing person (with "right" on his side) and a bunch of W@nkers?!!

Cheers, J9.

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  23:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I Perhaps Arthur has a new "Love" band in the hereafter.

Now that's a nice thought -- wonder who would be in that line up!

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  23:17:51  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read jazzman's comments rather differently. I took it to mean that the debate was 'w**k' because it was a debate that should never had taken place. A waste of time. I didn't really take it that he was insulting anyone in particular.

I have to admit that although I have contributed much to this thread I would much rather that it hadn't existed in the first place.

Edited by - caryne on 19/08/2009 23:21:06
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  23:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

I read jazzman's comments rather differently. I took it to mean that the debate was 'w**k' because it was a debate that should never had taken place. A waste of time. I didn't really take it that he was insulting anyone in particular.

I have to admit that although I have contributed much to this thread I would much rather that it hadn't existed in the first place.

I don't feel that that it has been a waste of time. One of the great things about this site is that it has become a market place for ideas...and I for one have begun to appreciate the value of other perspectives even though I may not fully share them. With Voltaire, I say:

"I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Edited by - John9 on 19/08/2009 23:31:40
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  23:35:45  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

I don't feel that that it has been a waste of time. One of the great things about this site is that it has become a market place for ideas...and I for one have begun to appreciate the value of other perspectives even though I may not fully share them. With Voltaire, I say:

"I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather that people enjoyed the current 'Love' band rather than expand negative energy talking about why it shouldn't exist. That is what I meant about it being a 'waste of time'.

Please though, let's not get into another debate. I have views of the quote you use here but they aren't for this board
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2009 :  23:36:50  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scully

quote:

I Perhaps Arthur has a new "Love" band in the hereafter.

Now that's a nice thought -- wonder who would be in that line up!

That's a whole other thread......

Edited by - caryne on 19/08/2009 23:37:15
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  02:54:21  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My apologies to anyone who I might have offended with the w*n*ers remark. Perhaps on this side of the pond its considered more of a humorous term than an insult. At least that's how I intended it. I love all you w*n*ers!
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2009 :  04:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL -- It's probably a bit more of an insult here in the UK,but still not that strong. But among friends it would be considered humorous I'd say -- and we're all friends here!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page