Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 LOST GEMS...rediscovered or your first time.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  18:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The recent reissue of Anne Briggs by 4MenWithBeards is long overdue.

An underrated and mostly forgotten British folk singer in the finest tradition. More earthy to me than the inimitable Sandy Denny, the traditional feel to her songs are heartfelt and beautiful. You all in the UK that follow the great folk scene can tell me more about her.
Loosely associated with Scottish folk musicians...Pentangle, and Bert Jansch (with whom she lived for a time), Incredible String Band, Clive Palmer ...who were often associated with the hippie culture & folk music of the times.

I just picked up The Time Has Come. Beautiful. Thinking about picking her self-titled and Sing A Song For You.

Any recommendations? Which one first?

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2009 :  22:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NICK DRAKE.....Five Leaves Left

A little embarrassed to say I just started delving into his music. Picked up the new Island audiophile vinyl release. Such trippy spare, beautiful music. It reminds me of early Donovan, in a very distant way, vocally, without the "reverb" of Donovan. Must be that organic, country/folk feel...hard to describe .... but very connected to nature and the seasons. His guitar tunings are unique to say the least. What a fantastic artist.

I think we had talked indirectly of Nick via John Martyn.....then reading more about Nick got me intrigued. Glad I dug deeper. Beautiful.

River Man is playing right now. Sublime is the only word I can use to describe it.

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  13:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, lk, glad you've discovered Nick Drake - beautiful player, its true.

Don't know if anyone else had noticed, but whenever TV music researchers want some sad music for a dramatic episode in Heartbeat, The Royal, etc, they always chose Nick Drake - and it's nearly always Northern Sky!!

Just been rereading recent posts as I haven't checked in for a while and note the high number of folk artists - Pentangle, Ann Briggs, ISB, Nick Drake and Jerry Yester & Judy Henske - very refreshing that this genre is still finding new fans today.

And as for Savage Rose, some of their stuff isn't half bad - they should be better known.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  17:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little Games Yardbirds.....now there is a lost GEM!!
You like this one, bf?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/02/2009 17:44:08
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  18:53:36  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
lk......i LOVE that album!!!!i have the cd. haha said the clown.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  19:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

lk......i LOVE that album!!!!i have the cd. haha said the clown.

Nice, bf, as I said, I just picked up a nice mono original....can't beat the sound of vinyl...no rechanneled stereo here.
The CD digital is likely great, though!!

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  18:57:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pentangle ......

...has always been a favorite of mine, but I just discovered a rarer LP called In The Round from 1986 on Varrick out of Cambridge, Massachusetts:

...with Bert, Jaqui (of course!!), Terry, Mike Piggott & Nigel Portman Smith. It's quite good...more acoustic than their more electric folk but with some rockin' drum beat still....without the more traditional folk interpretations and a little more jazzy-folk...some nice piano thrown in the mix.

Any Pentangle faves or rare releases for anyone else here?

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/03/2009 21:38:08
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  22:31:07  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"The Nashville Sessions" by Townes Van Zandt. i'll be collecting more after i played this one again today. another shooting star. another life cut short, burnt out.... with records to be discovered and loved.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townes_Van_Zandt

Edited by - bob f. on 01/03/2009 22:42:02
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  20:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you like !3th Floor Elevators, The Open Mind, Bubble Puppy, Moby Grape.....
you all need to get The Wizards From Kasas!!

A remarkable 60's psych band reissued by Epic. This is no idle recommendation. I can't stop listening to it. It's like Moby Grape back when I discovered it....I'm wearing it out. This song title alone should intrigue you.."She Rides With Witches".

The Wizards From Kansas will blow you away!!!

Nothing on youtube, but here is a review at Red Telephone (a great blog)!
http://redtelephone66.blogspot.com/2008/09/wizards-from-kansas-1970-mercury-lp.html

Edited by - lemonade kid on 03/03/2009 20:56:09
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  23:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got a still-sealed vinyl copy of Plainsong(1972). Sweet.
What a great album with Ian Matthews, Dave Mattocks (such a fine drummer), Andy Roberts.....

Another great cover by Elektra.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  14:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey lk in a coupla years you're gonna be worth a couple of mil with all those vinyls!!!!...and you'll probably have to buy a warehouse to file'em.......
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  17:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hey lk in a coupla years you're gonna be worth a couple of mil with all those vinyls!!!!...and you'll probably have to buy a warehouse to file'em.......

I've only got 500-600 Vinyl LPS..... My really collectibles are Hot Rocks with alternate takes of "White Horses" (acoustic version on a tack piano) and a rough version of "Brown Sugar" ($1000), Richie Valens first pressing with "La Bamba" ($400), Neil Young his first s.t. first press with alternate takes ($150), We're Only In It For The Money promo with edits for airplay ($250), Introducing The Beatles second press ($200), Sgt. Peppers mono ($200), OAR ($100), Rave Up! mint mono, Blonde On Blonde mono...if you haven't heard it in mono you haven't heard it!!!

Anyway, those are off the top of my head (oh, mono Byrds 1st, Buff mono first, "Younger Than Testerday" mono is the ONLY version worth having....REALLY....Chris' bass is so pumped in mono, and "Fresh Cream"mono is also the only way to hear it, AND we all know that The Doors in mono is the ONLY way to hear it...especially The End's final rave up with the "F#@K, F^%K" by Morrison that is gone in stereo!!)

that's for starters......

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  18:49:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice collction lk.....make sure you got'em insured if you're making the investment!..Blonde on Blonde mono..that's interesting....I've been playing that album a few times recently...the songs just simply amaze me....I don't think I can imagine the mono sound!! How different is it?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  22:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Nice collction lk.....make sure you got'em insured if you're making the investment!..Blonde on Blonde mono..that's interesting....I've been playing that album a few times recently...the songs just simply amaze me....I don't think I can imagine the mono sound!! How different is it?

I can't really put my finger on it, but it's like hearing Blonde on Blonde for the first time, with totally different takes. Clearer, more distinct, treble is trebler! bass is bassier!. The sound is less muddled...not that it's really muddled in stereo, but it is! It must be that certain instruments are more forward in the speakers, etc. Also because stereo back then was rather artificial, you know, with that wide separation.....mono has a more "live' performance feel, like they are right in your living room. You wouldn't have that separation at a live performance unless you were sitting in the middle of the stage with the wide separation of the speakers.

I don't know, but it makes you smile WIDE the first time you hear it. It's just DIFFERENT!! Better! I've read it often. Just like Peppers, Magic Bus, Buffalo Springfield, Surrealistic Pillow, Younger Than Yesterday....all sound better in mono--by far!! And all the artist's have agreed at one point or another!

An original mono Blonde On Blonde can be pricey, but Sundazed has reissued the vinyl for around $30...well worth it. It's likely been issued on CD by them too. HIGHLY recommended. It's one, along with Peppers, that is essential even if you have the stereo. Peppers stereo is a keeper too of course with the innovative groundbreaking use of stereo too, but as usual, the Beatles were only involved in the mono production so it's is their intended vision, not the editors' as with the stereo version.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/03/2009 00:00:54
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  20:55:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm searching for Sandy Bull LPs, an amazing folk/psych guitarist from the 60s Vanguard label. Anyone know him?

Also an SF psych band called New Tweedy Brothers. One album....there is one on the net right now for $3000. No way! Stellar psych rock, highly regarded. Reissues are out there.

Just got July, SS. A minor masterpiece by 60's British psych band July. Extremely influential in the experimental, groundbreaking vein of Syd & Pink Floyd, with some of those dreamy, flower trip Syd kind of images.. Multilayered with every instrument & studio innovation of the time, with dual meaning lyrics,psychedelia, trippy, hippy lingo. Great stuff. A period must.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 06/03/2009 21:05:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page