Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 LOST GEMS...rediscovered or your first time.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  18:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, bobf, was listening to one of your wish-list LPs...Fat Mattress!
That is such a good album....a lot like psych Traffic work. Noel redding on guitar can't be bad. You gotta find it. There are a load of nice vinyl copies at MusicStack for $10-20!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  03:09:16  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i just re-discovered "Sell-out" by The Who. God, it's GOOD!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  14:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob...heh heh to me it has to be one of DE GREATEST! Some great tunes and lyrics in there..."I Can't Reach You", "Tattoo". and the promo "RADIO LONDON REMINDS YOU...GO TO THE CHURCH OF YOUR CHOICE!".....getting your ODORONO?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  23:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mott The Hoople's first LP & Wild Life.....just pulled them put today...again....havent' done that in a while.....really nice!!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  23:28:19  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
LISTNIN to "Bull Of The Woods" CD The 13TH Floor Elevators.
unfairly ignored because Roky sung on only 4 of 11 tracks. recorded 1968. it's GOOD! REALLY GOOD!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  00:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

LISTNIN to "Bull Of The Woods" CD The 13TH Floor Elevators.
unfairly ignored because Roky sung on only 4 of 11 tracks. recorded 1968. it's GOOD! REALLY GOOD!

It IS, bob. I have the 3 disc boxed set that includes "Bull of...." All great music with many extras.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/02/2009 00:27:28
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  18:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anything guest-appearing-on or soloing-on by J.D.Souther is likely a lost gem! He is being interviewed and featured on Public Radio today..if you miss it, go online anytime.

Here's a nice Goldmine article about JD.

http://www.debbiekruger.com/writer/freelance/jdsouther.html

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/02/2009 18:20:04
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2009 :  18:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone familiar with Pig Newton & The Wizards From Kansas?
I have an LP reissue waiting for me and it's supposed to be one of the best late 60's psych bands ever recorded, or so I'm told. we'll see....I'll let you know.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2009 :  22:30:35  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'm playing "odds & sods" lp , The wHO.
A great compilation of recordings left of of their lps mostly 'cause they were either saving them for later, or were held back by pigs in starched white shirts. includes the group version of "pure and easy" .this collection is amazing.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2009 :  22:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still run into so many people that have never heard ANY Pentangle or who even say, "Pentangle who?"

Enjoying their first LP right now & next "Solomon's Seal"...love it!!

I just ordered a Reprise vinyl "Sweet Child", and also "In The Round".

I still get pissed when I read about how Nathan Joseph of TransAtlantic Records denied them any royalties because TransA "put up all the money" for recording/promo of their LPs. Holy crap! That would NOW be part of the advance against royalties. And he included a clause that Pentangle can never sue them for anything.....ever. What a crafty, greedy S.O.B.!!

How many times do we read about this...Moby Grape stands out, Jerry Hahn Brotherhood, CCR, Leonard Cohen...either ridiculous contracts that those kids were coerced into signing or just plain embezzlement that gets some damn manager/exec a short prison term or probation, without ever having to return any money. I'm an artist and sometimes (been there) the artist is just considered disposable labor and the production/promo etc the main ingredient....without consideration that it's the art/music that sells the product, & all the promotion in the world won't sell crap. We all need promotion, but come on!!

Well, back to enjoying some more Pentangle!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  14:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the weekend I was rading about Norway and Denmark and the band Savage Rose came to mind. In Torben's woods I think. I have their first record. My intro to "international" rock! Anybody familiar with them?
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  14:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk..when you say Pentangle I imemdiately think of the Incredible String Band and that group called "Ars Nova". Ars Nova I believe like Love were on Elektra and produced by Jac H.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  22:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk..when you say Pentangle I imemdiately think of the Incredible String Band and that group called "Ars Nova". Ars Nova I believe like Love were on Elektra and produced by Jac H.

I haven't checked out The String Band in a long,long time. Which is your favorite? Hangman's Beautiful Daughter, Wee Tam or Changing Horses?

Here's a really STRONG recommendation....(Pig Newton &) The Wizards From Kansas. One of the best psych bands to come out of the 60's. The band broke up before their only LP was released in "69 so Mercury just let it fade away. Too bad. It's amazing. You can find some songs to listen to online, but if you can find it....the new reissue is only $12 on vinyl and CDs are out there readily. They are having a huge revival (for the FIRST time!! )

The name alone should get you interested. AMAZING music!!

And one more..Jerry Yester & Judy Hennske's Farewell Aldebaran!!
A really eclectic folk, rock, psych experimental album from former Lovin'Spoonful talent Yester. Highly rated!!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  14:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk...I'm really not at all familiar with their work...just heard snippets here and then back when..time to get a reacquaintance I think...and I shuld follow up on your group here!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  17:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

lk...I'm really not at all familiar with their work...just heard snippets here and then back when..time to get a reacquaintance I think...and I should follow up on your group here!

Great! I highly recommend "The Wizards From Kansas". Mercury made them drop the Pig Newton from their name. You will find them without "Pig Newton" attached to their name, at MusicStack or your local record shop can get it for you. Rockadelic issued a limited edition (o/p) vinyl called "Still in Kansas" by Pig Newton & The Wizards From Kansas, with some demos and never heard tracks, so if you can find it....well good luck.'

Jerry Yester & Judy Henske"s "Aldebaran" are readily available on reissues. I was bidding on a nice vinyl copy, but after it soared over $50 I gave up.

And to add another lost classic Holland Beach Boys
A remarkable achievement. Anyone else love this one??!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/02/2009 18:15:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page