Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 LOST GEMS...rediscovered or your first time.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  21:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A quick question...if you listen to 'Onie' by the Electric Prunes can you hear the clear similarities to 'The Good Humour Man'?!!!

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  23:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

A quick question...if you listen to 'Onie' by the Electric Prunes can you hear the clear similarities to 'The Good Humour Man'?!!!

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Ya.....not as disenchanted or sweetly dark...but ya. Actually I hear a lot of Love on "Too Much To Dream.." LP A kind of darkly psychedelic, excellent LP.

One more somewhat lost classic LP that is sadly not even on CD right now! (though can be easily found at MusicStack, etc)....Strawberry Alarm Clock Incense and Peppermints.

I guess the band didn't care much at all for the lite weight-psych lyrics they were being forced to use for the title track (and weren't getting royalties for it), even though they say they wrote the underlying tune.....so they all refused to sing the lead. A 16 year old friend of the band was in for some percussion work and so they had him do the lead vocals. The Strawberry's lead singer DID do the backup vocals. It turned out great anyway and the whole LP has actually held up well over the years. Maybe they hoped the psych-lite "Incense and Peppermints" would get dissed, but of course it went to #1.

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  00:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy who sang "Incense and Peppermints" was Greg Munford, a very talented writer/vocalist/multi-instrumentalist who went to my high school. (La Canada High, in La Canada, California, just north of
Pasadena). Greg was a year ahead of me at school, and his band, The Shapes of Sound, was managed by the same guy,(Bill Holmes, who had a label called All American Records based in La Crescenta, California) who managed Strawberry Alarm Clock. They (the Alarm Clock) were previously called Thee Sixpence, and not only did Love covers live, but even recorded and released as singles some early Love stuff ("My Flash On You," "Hey Joe"). "Incense" was actually written by Alarm Clock guys as an instrumental B-side, but was given lyrics written by John Carter and Tim Gilbert, who had done most of the lyrics for Colorado's Rainy Daze ( "Acupulco Gold") whose album was actually very good Doors-ish 1967 psychedelic rock. Somehow, the writing credits wound up being Carter/Gilbert only, screwing Ed King (years later a founding Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist) and keyboardist Mark Weitz, the writers of the instrumental melody out of some pretty big bucks. (Think about how many movies "Incense" has been used in, aside from the fact that it was a number one record. Greg Munford, I'm told, was offered a chance to join the Alarm Clock, but stayed with his own band, because he really had faith that they were going to happen. Also, L.K., regarding Iain Matthews; in 1997 I oversaw the release of an Iain CD called "Nights in Manhattan (and Points West"). Iain was a genuine pleasure to work with. He has since left his long-time home outside of Austin and relocated to the Netherlands. You can find copies of that "Nights" CD very, very reasonably priced on-line. The Iain song "Lonely Hunter" was co-written by the guitarist he was working with at the time, Tommy Nunes, who was in the 1962-era pre-Beatles surf band the Sentinels, (album "Big Surf") from San Luis Obispo, and is still a working musician today in San Luis Obispo, California. And that's all I've got...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  02:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

The guy who sang "Incense and Peppermints" was Greg Munford, a very talented writer/vocalist/multi-instrumentalist who went to my high school. (La Canada High, in La Canada, California, just north of
Pasadena). Greg was a year ahead of me at school, and his band, The Shapes of Sound, was managed by the same guy,(Bill Holmes, who had a label called All American Records based in La Crescenta, California) who managed Strawberry Alarm Clock. They (the Alarm Clock) were previously called Thee Sixpence, and not only did Love covers live, but even recorded and released as singles some early Love stuff ("My Flash On You," "Hey Joe"). "Incense" was actually written by Alarm Clock guys as an instrumental B-side, but was given lyrics written by John Carter and Tim Gilbert, who had done most of the lyrics for Colorado's Rainy Daze ( "Acupulco Gold") whose album was actually very good Doors-ish 1967 psychedelic rock. Somehow, the writing credits wound up being Carter/Gilbert only, screwing Ed King (years later a founding Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist) and keyboardist Mark Weitz, the writers of the instrumental melody out of some pretty big bucks. (Think about how many movies "Incense" has been used in, aside from the fact that it was a number one record. Greg Munford, I'm told, was offered a chance to join the Alarm Clock, but stayed with his own band, because he really had faith that they were going to happen. Also, L.K., regarding Iain Matthews; in 1997 I oversaw the release of an Iain CD called "Nights in Manhattan (and Points West"). Iain was a genuine pleasure to work with. He has since left his long-time home outside of Austin and relocated to the Netherlands. You can find copies of that "Nights" CD very, very reasonably priced on-line. The Iain song "Lonely Hunter" was co-written by the guitarist he was working with at the time, Tommy Nunes, who was in the 1962-era pre-Beatles surf band the Sentinels, (album "Big Surf") from San Luis Obispo, and is still a working musician today in San Luis Obispo, California. And that's all I've got...

Thanks RW. I always forget that if I want some info about LA 60's scene you are the guy!! Greg's vocals were definitely GOOD enough for a #1 hit. Funny how it goes sometimes...the talents that "make it" and those great ones that don't....for whatever reason.

I've got all or most of Iain's vinyl including an obscure one on Windham Hill. I really like his own songs and his covers are always uniquely Matthew's. I really love Lonely Hunter and I forgot about Nunes. Another great talent. A couple more of my favorite Matthew's tunes are "Girl With Clouds In Her Eyes" & "Horse Left In The Rain". The eight + minute "Dance Of Fate" is pretty good too!!!

I would have to say though that Mercy Street by Matthews is my favorite...cuts deep into my soul.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBSSe1ADYhk&feature=related

Edited by - lemonade kid on 21/01/2009 02:30:52
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  18:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rockets
Impossibly rare on vinyl. Such a nice LP by Danny Whitten & Co on White Whale.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2009 :  17:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After RW's mention of Bunky and Jake's L.A.M.F. LP, I ran down a MONO promo of their first (not as highly regarded, but still great) AND a NM vinyl of LAMF. Pretty excited about this arriving in the post.

I've read nothing but great things about this folk/rock duo that were the darlings of the Village in the 60's....they just put out a charming children's CD. Good to know they aRE still making music.

Does anyone remember folk rocker Buzzy Linhart? Quite a unique talent.
Google him...... He wrote "Friends"...which became Bette Midler's theme song. He played vibes on Jimi's "Cry Of Love" album.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/01/2009 17:42:47
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  04:38:25  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
listnin to " Gadalf" 1969. Sundazed lable, originally on Capital.

really cool psych- keyboard- guitar band. kind of Colin Blunstone-like vocals. excellent stuff! not a dud on this album. beautiful and powerful!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2009 :  17:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

listnin to " Gadalf" 1969. Sundazed lable, originally on Capital.

really cool psych- keyboard- guitar band. kind of Colin Blunstone-like vocals. excellent stuff! not a dud on this album. beautiful and powerful!

Hey, bob, that's real LOST gem....Ennismore by Colin. Really beautiful music.

I keep missing Gandalf vinyl! Gotta check it out.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  14:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey lk..oh man you brought me back..Buzzy! I saw him in college here with the Burritos!.Both were on the bill.."Ya got ta have friends!"....I can recall that it was a really nice gig they did at the time....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  18:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hey lk..oh man you brought me back..Buzzy! I saw him in college here with the Burritos!.Both were on the bill.."Ya got ta have friends!"....I can recall that it was a really nice gig they did at the time....

You Saw Buzzy?! Cool. I read he's still making music....after some concert benefits for him about some kind of health issue he had. i remember that curly head of hair....he looks like an old biker now.... I saw a pic from a few years ago, but still rockin'.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2009 :  23:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been talking about Fairport Convention here, but I have the opportunity to get hold of an original sealed vinyl of: Selections From Martin Carthy & Dave Swarbrick. Is it a good compilation and how much should I pay? Or is it silly of me to ask and I should JUST buy it!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/01/2009 23:53:16
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  16:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just picked up The Open Mind. It's a 180 gram vinyl reissue on Sunbeam and even THAT is rare.....the original is worth 1000's! Anyone else know this remarkable UK Blues/Psych band?? UK friends? I'm trying to find a comparable sound by another late 60's UK band....Yardbirds is the nearest I can think of and thats a stretch. Pretty unique stuff. Here's proof..this will rock you....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQM4r9mo6o

Another band I've heard fantastic reviews about but whose LP is on the net right now at a starting bid of $3000.....Plastic Cloud. A legendary Canadian fuzz psych band that I've heard nothing but raves about. Try this 8+ minute track, rocker....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2FC18UvffXI ....fixed the link

And one more....Truth and Janey, No Rest For The Wicked.
A hard rocking midwest blues power trio with Billy Lee Janey on guitar....in the Cream/Zep vein of hard rock. One of the most highly respected guitarists even today.
Another LP that goes for hundreds, but can be found on CD (all three above can be, in fact!!)

Don't pass these by if you have the chance to buy them!! Trust me on these guys when you want something "new" From the golden age.

Anyone know these bands?!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 29/01/2009 18:42:18
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  01:21:14  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
damm! I been trying to get "plastic Cloud" long time since i heard it on technicolor web of sound! i keep searchin the bins.
i always carry a wish list with me.
also on it is
the Paupers
Fat Mattress
the Trip soundtrack
Bear (this one is really rare. not on cd.)i want it.
Hardwater
Growing Concern. i've seen it on new vinyle.
U.S. of America
Dragonfly
Dewey Martin (bufallo springfield drummer) "medicine ball"lp!

just sharing my taste, cant afford collectors $. i'm always lookin for used cd re-issues and cheap used lps! what? i can dream! besides, i'm un employed and broke! but i stills need the music!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  04:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

damm! I been trying to get "plastic Cloud" long time since i heard it on technicolor web of sound! i keep searchin the bins.
i always carry a wish list with me.
also on it is
the Paupers
Fat Mattress
the Trip soundtrack
Bear (this one is really rare. not on cd.)i want it.
Hardwater
Growing Concern. i've seen it on new vinyle.
U.S. of America
Dragonfly
Dewey Martin (bufallo springfield drummer) "medicine ball"lp!

just sharing my taste, cant afford collectors $. i'm always lookin for used cd re-issues and cheap used lps! what? i can dream! besides, i'm un employed and broke! but i stills need the music!

Check Musicstack, bob. It's there if you can live with a CD...there may be a reissue vinyl too. If you find an original in a record bin, you will have a few thousand dollar find. Don't hold your breath but keep looking & dreaming, bob.

Fat Mattress is so good. You should be able to find one. I found a mint vinyl a couple months ago for $10. Nice.

Good luck on the job front....it can only get better.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  18:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some good write-ups about LOST great psych & some prog bands of the 60's & 70's, go to Chris Goes Rock...a Swedish guys rock blog with some really great music and also a fantastic write-up about the California psych movement (just keep scrolling, you'll find it amongst the great LPs.)

http://chrisgoesrocks.blogspot.com/search?q=the+open+mind

No Open Mind entry, but so what!!

Entries for the likes of The Misunderstood,Peace Pipe, Nazz, The Parlor Band, Maggot Brain by Funkadelic...well you get the idea.

Oh and...Lang, Hunter, Ronson, Pappalardi, "Secret Sessions": Corky Lang, Ian Hunter, Mick Ronson, Felix Pappalardi, with Eric Clapton, Dicky Betts, Lesli West, John Sebastion & Todd Rundgren!!
Is anyone familiar with this..sounds pretty damn good!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 30/01/2009 18:30:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page