Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 LOST GEMS...rediscovered or your first time.......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  19:39:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IT'S FUNNY BUT I SEEM TO BE DISCOVERING & rediscovering more music from the 60's than I was aware of DURING the 60's. But with limited funds and limited to what local radio stations would play in those days (albeit they were far superior to today's radio play!!)......I discovered what I could. But now the gems just keep appearing thanks to you all & some great friends and the www.....

So please share newly discovered or rediscovered or obscure bands, lost albums by known bands, or lost artists....of any era, but I guess mostly from the Golden Age sixties. Though I have discovered some great music from the 70's & even 80's that was lost, but he 80's?...well not many "lost" with corporate promotion overkill, just "bombed". I would say. (And if you have any youtube or mp3s to share...cool )

New, even if relatively obscure bands, would not apply here as they haven't been around long enough to be LOST!

For me, for starters:

1) The Further Adventures Of Charles Westover (Del Shannon) (1968)
2) Brother Fox and Tar Baby (1969)
3) J.K.&Co. (1968)
4) Sapphire Thinkers (1968?)
5) Little Games-Yardbirds (1967)...never listened to this back then as they were on the wane, but what a great psych LP!!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 16/01/2009 19:58:13

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  23:30:25  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah....J.K.& Co. is a JEM !!!

---Bow Street Runners. 1970.
Rising Sons. 1965-'66.
The Fallen Angels/Roulette masters part 2. 1968.
the Human Beinz. " Evolution". 1968.
The Kinks. "Percy" soundtrack
The Choir. comp. on Sundazed cd.
Raik's Progress. " Sewer rat love chant". 1966
Lou Christie. " Beyond the blue horizon". 1974

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  00:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And "The Original Human Beings" by Blue Cheer too, bob!!

I've heard of BOW STREET RUNNERS. Impossible to fine on vinyl and would go for big Buck$. Gotta find that one.

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  15:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a great point. How could anybody listen to all that was out there in the 60's or 70's. Listening was by turntable or radio only.
Frequent visits to the record shop was the only way to keep up.
I lived in Boston at that time and believe me Love was not a household name. I completely missed DeCapo only because there was no promotion. I found it almost 30 years later and for me it was a rediscovered treasure. The more you look the more you will find
and in this case "old" is "new".
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  18:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

This is a great point. How could anybody listen to all that was out there in the 60's or 70's. Listening was by turntable or radio only.
Frequent visits to the record shop was the only way to keep up.
I lived in Boston at that time and believe me Love was not a household name. I completely missed DeCapo only because there was no promotion. I found it almost 30 years later and for me it was a rediscovered treasure. The more you look the more you will find
and in this case "old" is "new".

Another great point, mark!! Some would argue that we are stuck in the 60's and not listening to enough new music, but when we find a great 60's LP that is totally new to us...well, we ARE listening to and discovering music that IS brand new...to us. And that to me, is the best find ever & a total JOY!!!

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  23:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'll limit this to just a few sixties obscurities that those among us who are clearly into
pursuing such things will more than likely appreciate; Tommy Flanders, "The Moonstone," on Verve,
1969. Original Blues project vocalist, the album is very much like Tim Buckley's "Happy Sad" of
the same period, featuring cream of the crop N.Y. session players of the time, this pre-dates
Tommy's brief return to the Blues Project when they were on Capitol for a pair of early 70's albums.
"The Yankee Dollar" on Dot, 1968, coastal California psych-folk-rockers from Cal Poly, San Luis
Obispo, think Jefferson Airplane/Strawberry Alarm Clock. Mount Rushmore; "High on Mount Rushmore"
(1968) and "Mount Rushmore '69," (guess what year). Frequently bottom-billed at the Fillmore and
Avalon, early biker/stoner blues-based heavy sixties San Francisco riff-rock. And also, "The Travel
Agency" (1968) on Viva, pretty decent period stuff, definitely of it's time. The best for last, Bunky
and Jake, "LAMF," (Mercury, 1969). Stunningly good, truly timeless, and an absolute "must-own," trust me on this one. Allan "Jake" Jacobs played lead guitar for NYC sixties rockers The Magicians (see your
"Nuggets" albums), was in an early Fugs line-up, and did later stuff as Jake and the Family Jewels.
Bunky and Jake did two albums (1968 and 1969) on Mercury, and although their self-titled debut is good, "LAMF" (titled borrowed years later by Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers) which for the uninitiated, is short for "Like A Mother F__ker" is genuinely amazing. Good enough that they got a Rolling Stone cover story when the album was first released, before it sank without a trace, sadly. The lp is a bit scarce, now, but you can get the CD from CD Baby's web-site, and you'll thank me for the tip. None of this stuff is rare enough that price-gouging "collectibles" dealers should be bending you over for it, and it's all pretty decent, listenable music....

Edited by - SignedRW on 17/01/2009 23:48:39
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  23:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PACIFIC OCEAN BLUE Dennis Wilson

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  01:58:15  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, i have a 2 cd with both "Pacific Ocean Blue" and " Bamboo", both really good.
i just re-discovered and am playing again the band, " Ultimate Spinach". psych-rock at its finest.1968.
we have a whole treasure of records to re-discover. who needs any new trash, when we can still hear jems and save great music from the cobwebs. the 60s are STILL the best source of magical music.
"music" today is ugly.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  15:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

yeah, i have a 2 cd with both "Pacific Ocean Blue" and " Bamboo", both really good.
i just re-discovered and am playing again the band, " Ultimate Spinach". psych-rock at its finest.1968.
we have a whole treasure of records to re-discover. who needs any new trash, when we can still hear jems and save great music from the cobwebs. the 60s are STILL the best source of magical music.
"music" today is ugly.

YA....I have the 3 LP triple gatefold on pacific ocean blue vinyl.....SO NICE. I'm gonna have to revisit Ultimate Spinach.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  21:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Gathering Of Promises Bubble Puppy. A really fine psych band....remember "Hot Smoke And Sasafrass"....reissued on the Get back label. 180 gram vinyl. Beautiful.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jkbafnjpxV4 Listen and remember..... Smokin' psych!

Blues Magoos a band that was at the forefront of the psych movement as early as '66..."We Ain't Got Nothing Yet" from Psychedelic Lollipop, 1966.

Ian (Iain) (NOT Hunter!!! Idiot!!) Matthews.....anyone else into this Fairport Convention turned solo act talent!!??

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/01/2009 21:02:08
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  23:11:49  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i have a CD version of a gathering of promises, playing now, thanx for reminding me. it always reminds me of Arthur Lee and Love's "Four Sail" band with its quirky -jerky stinging guitar/folk/dynamic-electro
style.

Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  14:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Ian (Iain) Hunter.....anyone else into this Fairport Convention turned solo act talent!!??

Don't you mean Iain Matthews?

Heard some recent live shows of his and it wasn't bad.

Blues Magoos? Always remember the first time I heard We Ain't Got Nothing Yet and thought Deep Purple had ripped it off for Black Night. Then I realised they were both ripping off an even earlier song, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  14:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow.this brings us back.....Brewer & Shipley, Brinsley Schwartz, McGuinness Flint, the Glitterhouse, Gallery (pop lite band), Sopwith Camel, Bonzo Dog Band, Music Machine, Richard and the Young Lions, Wildweeds.....and so it goes!.........

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  20:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just got The Electirc Prunes 'I had too much to dream' album from the library. I'd heard the song so many times before but never bothered to check out other stuff by the Prunes. This sounds like a great album on the first couple of listens so I may delve a bit deeper. Any recommendations?

Good call with Bubble Puppy LK. A Gathering of promises is a great psych album.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  20:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also a contemporary but desperately underrated band called Alfa 9 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wO2m2fitw6g

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  20:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of COURSE IAIN MATTHEWS, boombox!!! I'm actually listening to a white label promo with Lonely Hunter & Darkness Darkness and then I type in HUNTER ??!!! As they say, If you can remember the 60's (or in my case; 60's, 70's and beyond!), you weren't there!!!

Though their first is best, Electric Prunes' "Underground" is very nice psych too, kula J. The later stuff is not with the original lineup and I never got into it much...anyone want to recommend any? Actually I've heard that when they got back together in the 80's they recorded some more great music and a DVD. They're still going and hopefully will do a rumoured tour this year.

The Blues MaGoos predated Deep Purple, of course, but both songs have their "roots" going back to a Farfisa riff on the 1962 Ricky Nelson hit-"Summertime". It was later "used" by Deep Purple on the song you mentioned.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/01/2009 21:06:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page