Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Your all-time FAVORITE album/LP cover(s)..........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  23:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

"Younger than Yesterday." After I realized that it was the cover art, not me.

John, I just got out "BGS" the other day and played "Every Little Thing" a dozen times or so. That is a two-minute jewel, in which every part is perfect.

We must have been on the same "thing". ed.

I love the Turtles album cover for Turtle Soup. The Turtles had many wonderful POP hits but their albums, especially Turtle Soup & Battle Of The Bands, show what great talents "Flo & Eddie" were!!! I love Turtle Soup!! Stands up to anything from the 60's....psych,pop, frenetic wildly beautiful, great music. By the way, Turtle Soup is the only album that Ray Davies produced for any band other than the Kinks. ( The Turtles were inspired by the revered Village Green Preservation Society, and enlisted Ray.) Obviously respected by Zappa also....such talents.

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  23:28:08  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
notice the same gritty photo style of Byrds' "Younger Than Yesterday", and "Love. Four Sail" cover art.
the Blind Faith original cover , was censored in the U.S. and replaced with the band members photo.
then, much later, art won out, and the original nude girl cover was recognised as the correct cover art we now see on most cds. i think.
same deal for Moby Grape's "finger" cover!!!!!!
i remember that episode. the finger was cut off! f*** that!
now the proper cover with the finger is recognized as standard cd cover art, after years of prudish and stupid censoreship.
the finger is universal language. pure rock commuication. Johnny Cash's famous finger photo always cracks me up! DAMN! that's a jem!!!
the finger has its place, and belongs on raw rock albums to be naked if it wants to. it would not look right on an Enya cd. or on the cover of a Mozart cd. but that M.G. Finger cover is right.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  11:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

"Younger than Yesterday." After I realized that it was the cover art, not me.

John, I just got out "BGS" the other day and played "Every Little Thing" a dozen times or so. That is a two-minute jewel, in which every part is perfect.

Hi Ed - yes Every Little Thing is an all time classic - and a superb example of the musical sophistication that The Beatles had already achieved by 1964. It was thought hip enough by Yes to be covered, in an elaborate and extended form, on their 1969 debut album - along with the etherial McGuinn/Crosby composition, I See You. Those were the days!

Edited by - John9 on 11/01/2009 12:02:13
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2009 :  02:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first Led Zeppelin album ....... one of the all time great covers and still my favorite Zep LP.
First released forty years ago today...... on January 12. 1969

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/01/2009 02:19:57
Go to Top of Page

Bobinbed
Fourth Love

Sweden
106 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  00:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Bobinbed's Homepage  Send Bobinbed a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The cover of Spaceritual (Hawkwind) is beautiful.

- "What do you mean it's a literary high?"
- "It's a Kafka high. It makes you feel like a bug."
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  23:54:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freak Out!, Absolutely Free and We're Only In It For The Money....three of my all time favorite covers AND albums!!

I did exactly THAT when I first saw the cover of Freak Out! What was this Psychedelic thing??

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  18:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few new ones.....

-Mott the Hoople's first LP..that great M.Escher drawing.

-Neil Young & Crazy Horse...Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/02/2009 18:56:31
Go to Top of Page

jstark
First Love

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  20:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
roxy music always had great covers, especially the first two ablums, stranded, and country life.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  18:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think "Buffalo Springfield Again" was mentioned at Byrds/Buffalo as a fave. Me too!!!

I can remember when that came out in '68. I just listened to it over and over while taking in the beautiful cover, and reading all the back cover liner notes and song credits. Was that the longest Thanks & Dedication list ever?? It turned me on to a lot of artists I hadn't known before. A beautiful and entertaining cover. Get a vinyl copy for the cover alone...even if the vinyl is beat!! no better way to appreciate it.....

Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page