Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Your all-time FAVORITE album/LP cover(s)..........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  16:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me it can only be vinyl album covers, since nothing beats holding that big, beautiful jacket in your hands while listening to a long anticipated release by your favorite artist!!

I gave us a hard one....a new favorite will come up every time I visit my record shelf!!

1) Neil Young's first LP
2) CSN (their first).....wonderfully provocative with Dallas T in the window)
3) Morrison Hotel/Hard Rock Cafe
4) Gene Clark, White Light ( if you don't know this one, it's wonderful......solid black cover with just a small but beautiful orange-yellow setting sun....a seated (on a rock?) Gene is silhouetted against the sun that is just on the "horizon". Striking.)

I'll be adding to this new subject a lot, but I gotta quit NOW. I have about a hundred more popping into my head!! Guys?

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  17:33:42  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
-Rubber Soul. i love that organic/brown/earthy-green psych view-point and lettering.
-Axis: bold as love. (gate-fold jacket).
-Blonde on blonde.(gate-fold).
-Who's next.
-Meet the beatles/With the beatles. just a simple black and white pose,4 heads half lit. so little means so much to me.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  17:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

-Rubber Soul. i love that organic/brown/earthy-green psych view-point and lettering.
-Axis: bold as love. (gate-fold jacket).
-Blonde on blonde.(gate-fold).
-Who's next.
-Meet the beatles/With the beatles. just a simple black and white pose,4 heads half lit. so little means so much to me.

I've always loved Rubber Soul too, bob......since the day it was released! Meet the Beatles, too. So, to take the so-little-means-so-much theme to the limit.....The White Album really blew me away. Still does. It's been imitated since, but nothing has been so powerful for me, before or since.... a cover of nothing...or everything!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/01/2009 17:54:07
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  18:08:39  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i used to not like the white album cover, 'cause all the melting/swirling/pulsating colors on it made me dizzy.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  18:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

i used to not like the white album cover, 'cause all the melting/swirling/pulsating colors on it made me dizzy.

...a little help from your "friends". I used to see paisley patterns....can't explain it.....multi-coloured endless paisley(s). Everywhere, carpet, walls.....far out!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  15:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never forget seeing the Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde cover...the spacemen come down to live in the countree.........they were on to rodeo!......

also like that Roxy Music cover with the falcon and presence with the Viking helmet overlooking the water..cool....
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  00:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in absolutely no doubt about this one - Buffalo Springfield Again...with its beautiful arrangement of the mythical female figure, the coastal paradise with its dream like trees, the blue butterfly and the bluebird...all garlanded by a collection of pretty flowers.

Edited by - John9 on 09/01/2009 01:24:43
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  07:21:14  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Beatles For Sale". their 4th lp. they are staring back at us! it's like they realise the world has gotten more complicated and deeper! yes. they're taking a breath, and looking back at us,too. more amazing stuff is yet to come. it's cold outside, and good- day sunshine is on the way.
the extra photo of them playing live wearing their irridescent grey suits with black trim collars in front of the Vox amp , is prescious.

Edited by - bob f. on 09/01/2009 07:33:06
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  07:51:04  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Children Of The Future" -steve miller band. gatefold lp.
wow! it was wow back then, and still is wow now.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:12:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob..right on for the description of the Beatles for Sale record..."Help!" I think was when they were in panic mode..
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  00:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pin ups - bowie or
these foolish things - bryan ferry

Oh that was my favourite covers albums

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  00:38:52  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think Bowie's "Diamond Dogs" jacket was later censored because of the genitals, and is now a valuable collector's item. Blind Faith's cover was changed, too. what a bunch of b.s. againnst art!

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  16:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob - I share the liking you have for the Beatles For Sale cover...an additional point about it is that it is a very early example of a gatefold. It is interesting that Capitol selected the rear shot from the album for their 'Early Beatles' release a couple of months later.

I played BFS again just before Christmas - although it is usually excluded from 'best album' discussions, I think that the original material points the way to the more mature songwriting we would see on Help and Rubber Soul. And of course in common with With The Beatles, Sgt Pepper and the White Album, no singles were spawned from it - although the Americans got Eight Days A Week. It's funny how on just about every Beatles album, there is a 'single that never was'.

Edited by - John9 on 10/01/2009 16:22:45
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Younger than Yesterday." After I realized that it was the cover art, not me.

John, I just got out "BGS" the other day and played "Every Little Thing" a dozen times or so. That is a two-minute jewel, in which every part is perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but the cd of blind faith is the original artwork. how?

or have i been misled?

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  23:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lizzyb

but the cd of blind faith is the original artwork. how?

or have i been misled?

Keep on shining

The censors have become lax, lizzy....

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page