Page: of 18

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  21:45:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I saw Clint Eastwood's The Changeling this afternoon. It's an impressive movie whose themes share much in common with Eastwood's other directorial work...decent folks showing courage and fortitude in the face of unfairness and corruption...with natural justice eventually carrying the day. Anjelina Jolie, I thought was especially good.

Eastwood is a rather amazing talent. Actor, producer, director, musician, composer.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  15:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's time I revisit some of those early spaghetti westerns, he starred in eh? Theme: real quiet guy gets things done...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  20:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes those Eastwood westerns are classics - as are the many films he made with Don Siegel....Dirty Harry, The Beguiled etc. And of course let no one forget his perfect foil to Richard Burton in the comically outrageous, but thoroughly gripping war film Where Eagles Dare.

Edited by - John9 on 03/12/2008 20:38:56
Go to Top of Page

watchinallthapeople
Fourth Love

155 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  22:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone seen "a fistful of dynamite"? I'm a huge fan of the good the bad an the ugly trilogy but have never seen and cant find that one :(
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  01:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watchinallthapeople

Anyone seen "a fistful of dynamite"? I'm a huge fan of the good the bad an the ugly trilogy but have never seen and cant find that one :(

It plays occasionally on The Western Channel (Starz) ch 529.
It's definately spaghetti western in feel. James Coburn is an ex-Irish Republican army revolutionary. Rod Steiger plays a Mexican bandit. Leone preferred the title "Duck, You Sucker!" It takes place during the Mexican Revolution. Needless to say, there are a lot of explosions.
It's the second movie that is part of a loosely connected epic called "Once Upon A Time Trilogy" Hey, it's Leone...pretty good.

Hey, watchinalltha....have you seen "My Name Is Nobody" ?? It stars Henry Fonda & Terence Hill. It's produced and co-written by Leone & it's classic Leonne but done as a dark comedy.
Plenty of blood & guts with a comic twist....but it's not a goofy comedy. Here's a link about the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Warning: SPOILER ALERT !! don't read the plot summary if you hate having a movie ruined by reading the ending!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_Is_Nobody

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/12/2008 01:57:05
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  03:37:55  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
did people say, "Duck, you Sucker" during the Mexican Revolution?
that sounds like something from a Shaft movie!
how about, "hey, mutha, don't step on my coonskin cap, homeboy!"
or, " i got my Colt 45 so don't U punk me up, yo, I be pimpin' yo lady!"

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  04:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

did people say, "Duck, you Sucker" during the Mexican Revolution?
that sounds like something from a Shaft movie!
how about, "hey, mutha, don't step on my coonskin cap, homeboy!"
or, " i got my Colt 45 so don't U punk me up, yo, I be pimpin' yo lady!"

...what the world needs now...

It probably translates different from the Italian. But the movie ends with a large explosion and that title line across the screen.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just watched "Casabalanca". Has to be one of the greatest made. That film has everything, conflict, love, hate, cynicism, belief, truth, lies, honor, characters, actors, personalities, great lines, music. .."you must remember this"... The makers packed alot of stuff into it.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  06:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I just watched "Casabalanca". Has to be one of the greatest made. That film has everything, conflict, love, hate, cynicism, belief, truth, lies, honor, characters, actors, personalities, great lines, music. .."you must remember this"... The makers packed alot of stuff into it.

Favorite line..."Round up the usual suspects". (if I could choose!)

Bogey has made so many of my favorites:
Angels With Dirty Faces
The Maltese Falcon
Casablanca
The Big Sleep
To Have & Have Not
The Treasure Of Sierra Madre
The African Queen

and one of my Holiday favorites:
We're No Angels

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  14:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody have blu-ray? I managed to get the player. Have to say movies in blu-ray are stunners. I'm looking now for some rock ones. Neil Young is supposed to have some out I think.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9712 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  16:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Anybody have blu-ray? I managed to get the player. Have to say movies in blu-ray are stunners. I'm looking now for some rock ones. Neil Young is supposed to have some out I think.

Not sure about any others to date, but Neil's TEN disc set Archives Vol I, to be realeased next year, will be available on Blue Ray/HD/hi-res!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  21:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have today seen The Reader - a fascinating study of the way in which the consequences of the Holocaust have been visited upon subsequent generations in Germany. Kate Winslet excels as a former SS guard who pays an increasingly heavy price as she grows older. It really is to her very great acting credit that the viewer cannot help but feel some sympathy for her character. And the point that the guilt for what happened must have extended well beyond those who were actually convicted is very powerfully made.

Edited by - John9 on 09/01/2009 21:02:07
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  17:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john..looking forward to seeing that one you noted...

Last night I took one out of the vaults (we watch a lot of movies at home rather than in the theater). Maybe some of you have seen it...the "Big Chill",nice ensemble casting. The film makes you reflect about how people go about living their lives and dreams.I thought the film holds up very well after all the years.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2142 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  08:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just heard that Kate Winslet has won two Golden Globe awards - one for The Reader and one for the soon to be released Revolutionary Road....not bad for the lass from Reading!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  18:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll probably be seeing those...

And I just read about a film that's getting screened here by Terence Davies. "Of Time and the City". It's his look at Liverpool when he was growing up. From the looks of it, personally he isn't too enamored of the change.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page