Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  18:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would put him against my favorites.....Montana, Young & Elway.

Tebow played a great game against the Pats, but...Tebow is a kid. An annoying kid, with his taking a knee antics--leave it at home kid.

But many would agree..Tom Brady IS the best quarterback of all time. For sheer tenacity...one short pass after another...breaking the defense down, one play at a time.

I loved the Colts/Pats rivalry and Peyton was a contender for the greatest, but not quite...and now he may never be the same with his neck injury.

This past weekend's game vs the Broncos and Tebow was classic Brady. Does it get any better?!

This is what Brady does....over and over...."Montana-like" for sure, with surgical strikes, bit by bit, breaking down the defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXhIjFXQu1A

GO PATS

I'm just dead, I'm not gone.
-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 21/03/2012 19:21:49

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  17:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think many would agree with this placing as no. 1.
Reason being, Joe M., Dan Marino. Peyton , Elway, Unitas etc.
But the one thing Brady does as well as anyone is WIN, and he's never had the super receiver like Jerry Rice.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  21:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time will tell, but Peyton seems to have disappointed in some ways as did the great Marino (never could win it all)...

My favorite of all time--Fran Tarkenton...

Fran Tarkenton & Jim Kelley would be my favorites that never won it all. I loved Fran back in the day, and but for the fate of the goal kicker, Kelley might have a couple of rings.

Fran...No 1 mobile QB of all time?
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801f9c25/Top-Ten-Mobile-QBs-Fran-Tarkenton

But Fran's wisest quote...."Quarterback's don't win championships, teams win championships".

-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/12/2011 21:07:16
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  21:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never the best in stats or champoinships-wise, but in the spirit of rebellion or coolness no one tops Broadway Joe Namath. I garauntee it.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  01:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by underture

Never the best in stats or champoinships-wise, but in the spirit of rebellion or coolness no one tops Broadway Joe Namath. I garauntee it.

You Set The Scene

And looked good in panty hose too....or not!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf3oOQq9KFU&feature=player_embedded

I remember watching Joe play in knee braces, hardly able to WALK but he still gutted it out!

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  15:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe was good man...Loved that finger wagging! He talked the talk and walked the walk! The trio of him, Staubach and Starr were my favs.
It's terrible though I am not a Giants fan. Seems everybody is around me... I think I got it from the brutal wars between Packer and Giant fans on my street back in those heady 60's. Oh it was war! heh heh to this day i have an antipathy to the Giants which is really bad. And I feel bad because my next door neighbor is such a great guy.....but he's a Giants fan! Love his loyalty though!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  17:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So in NYC...is the line drawn between Yankee/Giants fans vs. Mets/Jets fans?

Of course we New Englanders hate the Yankees/Jets/Giants.....and, well, the Mets?.... no one cares!

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  02:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there does seem to be a lot of Yanks/Giants or Mets/Jets fans
in ole NY. But of course there are many crossovers like myself for the Yanks/ Jets and don't forget about that upcoming team of Knickerbockers.

Joe Willy will always be a legend, but has lost some of his luster.
A drunken interview, wearing his pants slightly below his pecs,
and shooting his mouth off critisizing the current Jets.

Why would anyone hate any of the wonderful NY teams.

Oh I've met both Joe and Jim Kelly at Joe's annual celebrity golf Tournament for The March of Dimes on Long Island. All his old buddies come from all different sports.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  14:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe Willy will always be a legend, but has lost some of his luster.
A drunken interview, wearing his pants slightly below his pecs,
and shooting his mouth off critisizing the current Jets.

Yes, some of that luster is gone. I guess maybe we can extend it now to sports overall. It's like the kings have been overthrown. Apparently, there's this disjoinment of the public and the private with sports personalities. The thing with Namath is the fact that he prpbably had a drinking problem but it never got to be seen as it did until that interview and it hurt him. On the other hand you got these guys who live as heroes, get tremendous adulation for their "works" but underneath there's a rotten part to them that was once hidden but now public for all to see. As it was in the Wizard of Oz, this ain't Kansas anymore.
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  17:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As good as Brady has been this second half, Brees and Rogers are his equals. What a class of QBs. Looks like Tebow is back to reality.

Still a Jet fan, even after a miserable season.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  20:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big deficits don't rattle Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. They just start playing better.

"Down by three touchdowns? Simply score the next 49 points and beat the Buffalo Bills 49-21. Trailing 17-0 a week earlier? Stay calm and come back for a 27-24 win over the Miami Dolphins.

"You never want to get down 21-0," Brady said after the Patriots did just that on Sunday. "But, if we do, we do and we have to find a way to battle back."

That's what they did after the Bills scored touchdowns on their first three possessions.

"There's no panic," Brady said. "I just feel like it's really a matter of execution and we started executing better.""

Rogers & Brees may be as great indifferent ways, but Brady has a mental toughness & calmness in adversity that gets him through anything-- team injuries, poor defense, big deficits... barring lucky Hail Mary's, like the one that lost the Super Bowl to Giant's Manning a few years back....Brady will likely end up with the best stats and career when all is said and done.

But you are right, what a time for GREAT QB's.

Of course, as we both know, Jets & Pats are the NFL's biggest & most rabid rivals. For me it's as good as the Red Sox vs Yankees rivalry!

Cheers!

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  21:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That mental toughness you talk about,the ability to stay calm in adverse game situations, etc. It's called CLUTCH, to play your best when it counts the most,under the greatest pressure, when all logic says it can't be done. This is something you cannot teach or learn, you either have it or you don't. It is extreme confidence in your ability, so much so that you can blot out the situation and perform in this Clutch manner.
It's what makes good players legends. There are many great players that cannot do this. And yes Brady is one who can.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  23:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

That mental toughness you talk about,the ability to stay calm in adverse game situations, etc. It's called CLUTCH, to play your best when it counts the most,under the greatest pressure, when all logic says it can't be done. This is something you cannot teach or learn, you either have it or you don't. It is extreme confidence in your ability, so much so that you can blot out the situation and perform in this Clutch manner.
It's what makes good players legends. There are many great players that cannot do this. And yes Brady is one who can.

Still, I would not want to be the team to face the PACKERS this year in the playoffs and beyond!! They are pretty solid!

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  14:00:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh heh ...they know how to pick QB's eh????
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  19:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

heh heh ...they know how to pick QB's eh????

Oh, you mean those Bart & Brett guys?!

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  20:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah and that guy Flynn..and btw anybody know Favre's QB "rating" in Green Bay nowadays??????...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page