Messageboard For Love Fans
Messageboard For Love Fans
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 All The Rest
 Anything Else
 Share the last film you saw at the movies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Antispam question: What's Mr. Lee's Firstname?
Answer:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
John9 Posted - 12/11/2008 : 17:13:09
I know that DVD is so much all the rage these days that some people may well be tempted to reply to this (humorously, I hope)) with..... Gone With The Wind....or perhaps Battleship Potemkin! But I am sure that there must still be many other people who are keen movie goers. Two recent films that have made a special impression on me have been:

I Have Loved You So Long (France) - a deeply sensitive study of a woman who is trying to put her life back together following the aftermath of a personal tragedy. Only gradually do we come to appreciate why it is that she thinks and acts in the way she does.

The Wave (Germany) - a truly electrifying account of a unconventional teacher who is trying to get his young charges to appreciate the concept of dictatorship. Unfortunately, the point is made a little too well and before long, dangerous forces are let loose - and of course there is a powerful historical resonance.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rocker Posted - 23/03/2012 : 12:59:27
er...ouch!
lemonade kid Posted - 23/03/2012 : 00:00:22
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

"John Carter" 3D
is a FANTASTIC movie.

bob...well from the looks of it you are definitely in the minority...

Disney will have a huge debt from the losses...or write off.

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
rocker Posted - 21/03/2012 : 17:29:52
"John Carter" 3D
is a FANTASTIC movie.

bob...well from the looks of it you are definitely in the minority...
lemonade kid Posted - 16/03/2012 : 19:33:50
Wilby Wonderful (2004)...an obscure dark comedy.

Watch this if you like poignant, touching films, with a bit of dark & gentle humor.

Hard to find but I did here....a streaming full viewing.

Watch at the site below, NOT at YOUTUBE, as you will get commercials at youtube--even though it has "youtube" imprint, there are no commercials here.

A very good stream with great picture and audio...easy to play it. Click PLAY arrow several times to play....it takes coaxing.

Full movie---be sure to press "pause" at a mini screen in the lower right column or it will play commercials incessantly.

"Wilby Wonderful" 2004 (1hour 29 minutes)
http://www.uzood.com/video/52497/Wilby-Wonderful--Watch-the-Full-Length-Movie-Online-Free

Wilby Wonderful is a 2004 film by Daniel MacIvor. The film is a dark comedic drama about 24 hours in the life of the small town of Wilby, where the municipal festival is in preparation. It focuses on the changes occurring in the lives of several different inhabitants as development comes to the island and threatens to change the world around them. The title comes from a sign created to promote the town; comically, it has been painted wrong, and says "Wilby Wonderful," as opposed to "Wonderful Wilby."

"A day-in-the-life dark comedy/drama concerning a group of islanders, their respective secrets, and one man's plan to kill himself quietly."

* James Allodi as Dan Jarvis
* Maury Chaykin as Mayor Brent Fisher
* Paul Gross as Buddy French ("Due South", "Witches Of Eastwick" TV)
* Rebecca Jenkins as Sandra Anderson
* Sandra Oh as Carol French (Grey's Anatomy)
* Ellen Page as Emily Anderson ("Juno")
* Callum Keith Rennie as Duck MacDonald
* Daniel MacIvor as Stan Lastman

It gets five smilies from me. A nice little film.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
bob f. Posted - 10/03/2012 : 17:30:17
"John Carter" 3D
is a FANTASTIC movie.

...what the world needs now...
lemonade kid Posted - 01/03/2012 : 21:21:23
quote:
Originally posted by anthonxytel

I started on Homeland too, thought it was quite interesting but somehow dropped it after 3 eps, maybe ill pick it up again sometime.

The last one I saw was "Safe House" with Denzel Washington, good action flick, not one of his best though.

Denzel is always an easy view.

A warm welcome to you, anthonxytel!!

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
rocker Posted - 01/03/2012 : 18:17:58
Denzel..fine actor..always reminds me of Gene Hackman who filled most of his roles very well..you just can't tell they're acting...

and I'm kind looking forward to Mad Men..pretty good scripts and writing...I think the show gives a good idea of how men and women in a specific occupation related to their times...
anthonxytel Posted - 01/03/2012 : 14:49:17
I started on Homeland too, thought it was quite interesting but somehow dropped it after 3 eps, maybe ill pick it up again sometime.

The last one I saw was "Safe House" with Denzel Washington, good action flick, not one of his best though.
John9 Posted - 01/03/2012 : 00:01:42
To my very great discredit, I have missed out on Downton...I shall try to put that right soon. There is so much excellent drama on UK television screens. One wonderful US import is Homeland...we are only at Episode 2 (out of 10)at the moment. I'm sure that our American friends will have seen the whole thing by now.

There has also been some startlingly original Danish drama recently. When the gripping political thriller, Borgen finished a couple of weeks back,l I found myself suffering from withdrawal symptoms! But relief is at hand. Two new series have already been made in Denmark. And I'm certain that they will be letting us have them soon........if nothing else, as payback for all those Viking raids during the Dark Ages!
lemonade kid Posted - 29/02/2012 : 18:59:58
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

hehe you too, eh? I think it's a good show too. I'm thinking that if I ever inherited an "abbey" I'd have to be eased into it!...it's a tough life when you're the big boss of everybody there and they genuflect to ya...

For sure, a tough haul, but I might get used to it! It is occupied in reality by the true heirs..a lord and lady who have it all to themselves nowadays. Nice of them to let Abbey be filmed there--though they are obligated to keep open those National treasures to the public in the UK

Could be a shock though to inherit such responsibility as an unsuspecting adult...as was evidenced by the fine character of Matthew Crawley, heir apparent.

The plot-- don't we all love Bates. Poor guy keeps getting screwed over! Favorite character: portrayed by Brendan Coyle (of North & South)-- and we loved him on Larkrise To Candleford as Robert Timmons...also the strongest of character on that series.

Of course, throw in Magie Smith... I'll watch anything Maggie is in! Along with Judi Dench, my two favorite Dames of stage & film!

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
rocker Posted - 29/02/2012 : 16:41:47
hehe you too, eh? I think it's a good show too. I'm thinking that if I ever inherited an "abbey" I'd have to be eased into it!...it's a tough life when you're the big boss of everybody there and they genuflect to ya...
lemonade kid Posted - 29/02/2012 : 01:37:36
Not a movie, but we started watching Downton Abbey long before it was "officially" on TV over here. It was available at a web site (Project Free TV) at least several months before it premiered on PBS in the US. Project Free TV carries links to UK shows that most never see over here.

We got hooked on Downton Abbey...it is pretty big in the UK I hear, and now is the most watched PBS series in USA/PBS history. It makes up for the loss of Larkrise to Candleford, and Cranford...which we loved.

I don't believe the Downton Abbey Christmas show aired over here yet, as it would have been out of sequence for US viewers. We saw it, and it appeased us for a bit.

Highly recommended. Much better than the Jane Austen tripe that has been coming from BBC for decades..hate them...they have to go & get "creative"--Jane would roll over in her grave!! But then, I haven't seen a Jane Austen production ever that I liked (TV or Film..all the way back to the first films from the 40's...they can't seem to get the feel for what Jane was writing. But some books are better left to the printed page. After all, with Austen, her brilliance is all about the written word.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
John9 Posted - 29/02/2012 : 01:33:07

I promise you LK.....the marigolds will be even more fragrant then! 4th May you say...(night of)....wasn't that an Al Stewart song?
lemonade kid Posted - 29/02/2012 : 01:15:32
quote:
Originally posted by John9

No I haven't LK....but it has been really well received over here and so I should go and see it. Other films that have especially impressed me so far this year have been:

A Dangerous Method

Margin Call

Shame

Carnage

The Well Diggers's Daughter and

The Artist

Great ones to check out.

By the way..in checking I find that "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" will not be in US theaters until May 4th! Bummer.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
John9 Posted - 29/02/2012 : 01:06:39
No I haven't LK....but it has been really well received over here and so I should go and see it. Other films that have especially impressed me so far this year have been:

A Dangerous Method

Margin Call

Shame

Carnage

The Well Diggers's Daughter and

The Artist

Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page