Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Share your all-time favorite BANDS......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  23:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeP

Six pages of replies, and no mention of SPIRIT : o As a live act, even now I think they remain the band I saw the most - Low are catching up fast, thfough.

Hey, mike, I don't know why I left SPIRIT off this thread. I've mentioned Spirit on the Appreciation 101 thread often, & spoke to RW about his friendship with Randy.

I picked up Eventide on Sundazed....nice unreleased Sprirt tracks.

Coincidentally I just picked up Kapt'n Kopter today!!...a nice original. Love that cover pick of Noel Reading with his back turned to the camera because his contract wouldn't allow him to appear on Randy's LP. Never heard a better Hendrix tribute LP. Man I envy your seeing them so much!! Cass is in my top three drummers. And Randy is actually my favorite lead guitarist...what was he--17 --on that first LP??

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/12/2008 00:15:27
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  13:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know I found out the Prunes did about 12 albums. Now would they be available? Could be a treasure trove of psychedelia with dreams....

I beg to differ! The Electric Prunes released only two albums in the 60s. They played on two (or possibly three) tracks on Mass In F Minor (including the wonderful Kyrie Eleison) before first Lowe, then the others, all left, to be replaced by David Axelrod and studio hands. The 1967 Stockholm bootleg was eventually given a release, but their third album, 'Artifact' (currently in the CD player of my car) didn't come out till 2001. There has been another album of new material since then, along with the Lost Dreams compilation.

So that only makes 5 or 6 albums by the Electric Prunes. Oath is a good album, as indeed are some of the others which followed, but I would hesitate to call these albums by the Electric Prunes.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  16:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:

You know I found out the Prunes did about 12 albums. Now would they be available? Could be a treasure trove of psychedelia with dreams....

I beg to differ! The Electric Prunes released only two albums in the 60s. They played on two (or possibly three) tracks on Mass In F Minor (including the wonderful Kyrie Eleison) before first Lowe, then the others, all left, to be replaced by David Axelrod and studio hands. The 1967 Stockholm bootleg was eventually given a release, but their third album, 'Artifact' (currently in the CD player of my car) didn't come out till 2001. There has been another album of new material since then, along with the Lost Dreams compilation.

So that only makes 5 or 6 albums by the Electric Prunes. Oath is a good album, as indeed are some of the others which followed, but I would hesitate to call these albums by the Electric Prunes.

Right, boombox. I see 4 original LP releases (1967-1969) & then various compilations & new releases through 2006, with the full total being 11. No "lost" 60's treasures, though.

The Electric Prunes (1967)
Underground (1967)
Mass In F Minor (1968)
Release Of An Oath (1968)

Just Good Old Rock & Roll (1969)...consisted of NO original members of the Prunes!

They reformed in 2001...and released ARTIFACT & DVD album REWIRED in 2002.
California (2004) was .......not sure about it?

They are possibly going to tour next year.

I guess then, there would be only two (right boombox!!) LPs released by the original Prunes lineup, with "Underground" being one of the darkest psych LPs ever produced...and greatest!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/12/2008 17:04:47
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  18:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty certain that James Lowe is still based not far from me here
in Santa Barbara. Peter Lewis of Moby Grape is friends with James,
and has taken part in some of the recent Prunes reunion recording
sessions. Peter introduced me to James at a concert here a couple
of years back, and I can vouch whole-heartedly for the quality of
the newest Prunes material, both the DVD and CD's; solid, excellent
stuff throughout. I'm sure that most people who visit this Love site
would really enjoy them. And yes, it was definitely a different group
of players altogether who did portions of "Mass in F Minor," "Release
of an Oath," and "Good Old Rock and Roll."

Edited by - SignedRW on 11/12/2008 19:10:32
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  15:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lk/boom..thanks for the heads up on the Prunes... I think we gotta er.. prune off some of those "12" albums......I was looking through my cd collection and saw one with 'I Had To Much Dream" opening up the cd, then "7&7" kicks in on the next track. I played them. I listened to them at 10p, managed to "sleep" by 3a...the kid was wired......
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2008 :  15:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

lk/boom..thanks for the heads up on the Prunes... I think we gotta er.. prune off some of those "12" albums......I was looking through my cd collection and saw one with 'I Had To Much Dream" opening up the cd, then "7&7" kicks in on the next track. I played them. I listened to them at 10p, managed to "sleep" by 3a...the kid was wired......

I ordered a nice vinyl MONO "Underground" by the Prunes (off Music Stack)....can't wait!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 14/12/2008 15:13:37
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  22:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This band may have become a caricature of itself, but the Moody Blues first few LPs were defining in the 60's. Especially important for me were Days of Future Past, In Search of The Lost Cord, On The Threshold Of A Dream, & To Our Children's Children's Children.
After that I lost interest, but the four above were monumental for me.
A real trip, even without a little help getting there. How about you all?? Rocker?

What other bands were totally "there" for you, but who, sadly became almost a joke in the later years.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  14:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I've got my eye on getting a Moody Blues blu-ray disc.
Like you, I followed the band for awhile and those records were tops for me. I thought "Days of Future Past" was real novel bringing in the classical side and giving a very musically atmospheric sound. They went so far from "Go Now", eh? They kind of stuck to the same sound now all these years so I think they probably get the label of playing music by formula. Not sure how others feel but the Stones also bring up "formula" in my mind too. In the beginning they were arguably trail-blazing but later on I think Mick et al got comfortable. Nothing wrong with that but it can affect how you approach making music.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  15:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know I've got my eye on getting a Moody Blues blu-ray disc.
Like you, I followed the band for awhile and those records were tops for me. I thought "Days of Future Past" was real novel bringing in the classical side and giving a very musically atmospheric sound. They went so far from "Go Now", eh? They kind of stuck to the same sound now all these years so I think they probably get the label of playing music by formula. Not sure how others feel but the Stones also bring up "formula" in my mind too. In the beginning they were arguably trail-blazing but later on I think Mick et al got comfortable. Nothing wrong with that but it can affect how you approach making music.

Right on about the Stones, rocker. I guess after one of their truly best efforts, Exile On Main Street, I gave up on them. That seemed to happen to a lot of my 60's faves when the jaded 70's came on. CSN(Y) also comes to mind. Their first two LPs were the 60's personified......4 Way Street was great, but after that....has there ever been a more wasted talent than Steve Stills (Manassas was his last masterpiece).

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  18:04:04  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i hate when good artists reverted to synthisizers and saxaphones to jazz it up. and i don't mean like how The Byrds and The Who used some synths on some records in a cool way. i mean like how some artists used saxes and synths which wrecked the records. John Lennon and George Harrison did that, and i had always expected more from Harrison who dissapointed me with his slide into slick sax/synth rubbish. cool-jazz has a place for itself. and, i LIKE sax, like Coltrane be-bop/ Stan Getz. but the Kenny G. style don't belong.
Jim Horn is a GREAT session sax guy who is often on many records to "spice up" a rock band/artist. I don't like that. i just want cool artists to not get square.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  21:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bob..was that "recent", i.e 10-15 yrs? or maybe as we're talking about the Stones that that synth/sax stuff came from 'sucking in the 70's'????...arguably some artists got hung up during those times..the 70's if I recall isn't looked up too nicely in terms of setting the bar higher with music..the sex, drugs and rock'n'roll earlier could've taken a toll....
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  01:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you could say that about most groups, that their first two, three or four albums were outstanding and then they fell off (of course cept the Beatles). CSNY in particular, but dont forget Super Session and that Neil took over and still has some pretty good stuff.
The Moody Blues also, but those four albums mentioned were sublime. Traffic also, even Hendrix and Love. I won't knock the Stones, they're still together and still tour. I am just super appreciative of all the early accomplishments and have no problem listening over and over.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  18:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

I think you could say that about most groups, that their first two, three or four albums were outstanding and then they fell off (of course cept the Beatles). CSNY in particular, but dont forget Super Session and that Neil took over and still has some pretty good stuff.
The Moody Blues also, but those four albums mentioned were sublime. Traffic also, even Hendrix and Love. I won't knock the Stones, they're still together and still tour. I am just super appreciative of all the early accomplishments and have no problem listening over and over.

Right, MARK.....I"ll never knock the Stones for their keepin on!!! They had moments over the years that I still like (Only RockN' Roll single)....we can only be happy that the Beatles wished to "move on" before they hit the 70's wall that so many did.
I like Stills first two solo LPs and his recent sessions release is great. I still put Steven up at the top as one of the greatest singer/guitarist/song writers ever. I heard an interview recently about a new album CSN are working on. The songs he performed were really good & Crosby interviewed & sang too...some great new ones. They both had very little good to say about their poorer work over the years...blaming themselves first, and then the corporate machine and the pressures palced on them for that next HIT. They talked about getting back to their early roots and that ol' analog recording that gives the warmth of the 60's music. Hopefully, like Dylan, they've found their groove again. I tsounds hopeful.

But you're right, Mark, it happens to most groups and artiusts if they stay together or live long enough. Thank goodnes for Traveling Wlburys' LP that brought the best together after all those missteps.
I think Harrison went out with a masterpice....with "Brainwashed" LP!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/01/2009 02:11:17
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  01:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CSN(Y) could scarcely put a foot wrong during the period 1969-71. Not only did they collectively make two of the finest albums of all time, we saw some absolutely superb solo work from them...I'm thinking especially of Nowhere, Goldrush, Stills 1 and 2, and of course, If Only I Could Remember My Name.

"Wooden ships on the water, very free and easy"

Edited by - John9 on 09/01/2009 01:05:34
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  02:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

CSN(Y) could scarcely put a foot wrong during the period 1969-71. Not only did they collectively make two of the finest albums of all time, we saw some absolutely superb solo work from them...I'm thinking especially of Nowhere, Goldrush, Stills 1 and 2, and of course, If Only I Could Remember My Name.

"Wooden ships on the water, very free and easy"

CSN(Y) absolutely have a tremendous catalog, as a group and individually. Manassas is a masterpiece. Neil Young forever and always!! Is there a finer solo LP than "If I Could Only Remember My Name"?? "Music is Love"!!!! Crosby and Nash did some Beautiful work!! Wind On The Water, Whistling Down The Wire. And Nash's Military Madness, Chicago. I still get chills when I hear "Cathedral" by CSNY.

CSNY...so they hit a few clunkers....their highs hit the highest heights!!

If Arthur had given up after FC we wouldn't have the various gems that appeared here and there....nor would we have had the privilege to see & hear him at his peak finally and again....right up until his passing. RIP.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/01/2009 02:32:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page