Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Share your all-time favorite BANDS......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:01:04  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

You people surprise me. You speak as if there might have been bands other than the Byrds. Who knew?

I love The Byrds too but, surely, as this is a Love site at least one of the 'other bands' must be them?
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:02:47  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

"..being subjective.....right and music is absolutely so..it gets to the gut. I'm not English but I'd think Vera's song "We'll Meet Again" might not be the greatest song in the world but it could be for some the Englishmen and women.

To be honest, most people I know of Vera Lynn's generation that I know are bored of the song as well
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  14:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..caryne...right, but you know I can guarantee I'd find one or two who sing Vera every day in Lancashire or in Cornwall or in Yorkshire..give me time though, ok? ..just as we'd find at least one individual who think that guy Stockhausen's music is the GREATEST the world since time began has every produced. THEY LIVE AND WALK THE EARTH!....
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  16:10:05  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

..caryne...right, but you know I can guarantee I'd find one or two who sing Vera every day in Lancashire or in Cornwall or in Yorkshire..give me time though, ok? ..just as we'd find at least one individual who think that guy Stockhausen's music is the GREATEST the world since time began has every produced. THEY LIVE AND WALK THE EARTH!....

Yep, there truly is someone for everyone
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  16:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

You people surprise me. You speak as if there might have been bands other than the Byrds. Who knew?

I love The Byrds too but, surely, as this is a Love site at least one of the 'other bands' must be them?

True, very true!! I think everything discussed here can be prefaced with "Love".

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  22:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget Moby Grape. One of my all time favorites.........& "Moby Grape '69" too.

Two of the finest albums to come out of the 60's.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  04:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure we've mentioned them ....... Deep Purple ........

I really love their early stuff. "HUSH" still blows me away. And Book Of Taliesyn is just monumental. River Deep Mountain High is ....I have no words!!!! Wow!! They were once listed in the Guinness Book as the world's loudest rock band. They definitely were among the pioneers of heavy metal & hard rock, but they were so much more.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/12/2008 07:02:07
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  22:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

I'm sure we've mentioned them ....... Deep Purple ........

I really love their early stuff. "HUSH" still blows me away. And Book Of Taliesyn is just monumental. River Deep Mountain High is ....I have no words!!!! Wow!! They were once listed in the Guinness Book as the world's loudest rock band. They definitely were among the pioneers of heavy metal & hard rock, but they were so much more.

You should hear Kula Shaker's version of 'Hush'...it rivals the original in my opinion

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  00:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that's The Big Thing. The and/or

You compose a song and record it best you can and ...
it becomes a special classic.
Or...
then someone else interprets it differently and it becomes a special classic.
Of course then when the original is re-heard it is lauded as superior to the cover(s). But... if they're how the song was heard by many then they, too, have a special significance.

seven and seven is...
hallelujah
[what you will]

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  02:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lizzyb

I think that's The Big Thing. The and/or

You compose a song and record it best you can and ...
it becomes a special classic.
Or...
then someone else interprets it differently and it becomes a special classic.
Of course then when the original is re-heard it is lauded as superior to the cover(s). But... if they're how the song was heard by many then they, too, have a special significance.

seven and seven is...
hallelujah
[what you will]

Keep on shining

Hallelujah has had some fantastic covers (Alison Crowe & others), but no one can do it better than Leonard...no one. It HAS been covered very well, though, & I listen to Crowe's cover often.

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  15:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kula John

[quote][i]

You should hear Kula Shaker's version of 'Hush'...it rivals the original in my opinion

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

Sorry, can't agree with you on that. For me, the Kula Shaker version IS the definitive version.

Speaking of 7 & 7 Is, what's the opinion here of the Electric Prunes' version? Took a while to grow on me, but in the context of the Prunes' album it's on, I think it works.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  17:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I found out the Prunes did about 12 albums. Now would they be available? Could be a treasure trove of psychedelia with dreams....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  19:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know I found out the Prunes did about 12 albums. Now would they be available? Could be a treasure trove of psychedelia with dreams....

Playing "I Had Too Much To Dream" LP....such a great psych album. I had no idea they did so many albums!!!

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  19:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Six pages of replies, and no mention of SPIRIT : o As a live act, even now I think they remain the band I saw the most - Low are catching up fast, though.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  19:44:52  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
yeah, i have the"release of an oath" cd. David Axelrod, again, wrote and arranged it. Bassist, Carol Kaye (forever changes), and other studio cats played on it.
i like the "Lost Dreams" cd comp.
" Mass in F minor was really the end of the band, says Lowe. We were A million miles from what we wanted to play."- from the liner notes to "Lost Dreams" cd.2000, Birdman Records

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page