Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 Share your all-time favorite BANDS......
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  15:08:52  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, people are allowed to move on in their tastes without being accused of being a hypocrite. John Peel, for example moved on from bands he had liked when other stuff came along that excited him more. If you ever listened to his shows in the late 70's and 80's, however, you would have found he still played plenty of older stuff that did still excite him. No one is saying new is good and bad is not, it's all about being subjective. What I am saying, and have said many times, is that great music has come from all eras and is still being produced today, it's as simple as that.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"..being subjective.....right and music is absolutely so..it gets to the gut. I'm not English but I'd think Vera's song "We'll Meet Again" might not be the greatest song in the world but it could be for some the Englishmen and women.
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

great music has come from all eras and is still being produced today, it's as simple as that.

At least on that we can agree.

Thanks to all on the thread today for the discussion - made a particularly bitty day at work much better. :)
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  20:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes - much as we all love to debate.....and just occasionally disagree, I have always found the discussions we have here to be of the very best - and so, sincere thanks to Torben for enabling it all to happen.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  21:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The thing is, John, the majority of 'young' bands today only exist because of the 'punk' movement, many of them cite punk/indie bands of the late 70's/early 80's as influences, I have never heard any cite a 'prog' band. I don't expect you read the 'NME', I do, so I see what these young artists are saying.

Personally, I don't care what anyone likes, if it gives you pleasure then that is great, however, I do get so tired with people harping on about The Beatles when there were so many great bands in the 60's, and other eras, that get ignored.

Surely you don't mean me, caryne?!
I don't think any one here ignores all the other great talents of the 60's and on. The Beatles just enjoy their rightful place at the top, with other great 60's artists---Stones, Love, Animals,Yardbirds, Byrds, Kinks, Traffic, Fairport Convention.......

But (to address the influence of 70's punk on today's artists), conversely, the 70's & 80's punk/indie bands would NOT exist if it hadn't been for the 60's garage / punk "originators" and they will gladly admit to it & credit their 60's heroes. As will the 60's early garage/punk artists give homage to their early blues & rock heroes. Everything we have we have from our past and what we choose to make our own, but it is the truly gifted artists, whether it be Picasso, or Beethoven or Arthur Lee or John Lenon or Iggy, (who gladly admit their influences..including the Beatles, Stones, etc.....so you're not giving us "Beatle lovers" anything new to chew on)...... it's those who assimilate their admitted musical inspirations, and are then able make those influences uniquely their own.

I think the Clash are great, and Iggy, and Talking Heads especially are a fave, but much of what we take for granted as punk, glam, grunge and noise rock would not exist if not for The Velvet Underground & Nico....VU & Nico was the "most prophetic album ever made". So it has been written, 70's & 80's music to follow would not exist if not for 60's groundbreakers......all historical accounts point this out....fact....end of discussion. Let's give credit where credit is due. Stones were ground breakers blending raw blues & rock. Beatles blended early rock, folk, rhythm and blues, and classical sensibilities to create music that still influence much of music today. The White album has so many styles it boggles the mind...grunge/punk, noise, folk, rock, metal.

I find much of the punk/grunge/noise/electronic/metal music ever recorded unlistenable, but I'm unaffected, because I DON'T listen to it---- but I don't deny its merits or genius---and I've given it a chance.
Whether it's jealousy or tin ear or intolerance, this hatred for the Beatles is rather unsettling. Hey, let it go, their influence & talent (& fame) is undeniable. So someone doesn't care for the Beatles ...... don't listen to them. They're still extremely talented and immeasurably influential & there's nothing you can do about it. .....all we are saying.....give peace & LoVE a chance.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/11/2008 22:23:08
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  22:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. It's my Birthday today

...so I'm swearing off any politically/musically charged discussions. I think I've said all I can about the Beatles and I 'd be the first to say (about the endless Beatle repackaging and reissues) .... enough is enough!!! I don't own any and never will. I have my original first presses. I'm happy.

Let's make up, caryne.

Go Obama!! Oops!

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  23:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kid, some friendly advice, which you probably realize. You have been baited, hooked and roped in for gutting. The thing to do is not play, let it go. I can't stay silent any longer.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  21:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markk

Kid, some friendly advice, which you probably realize. You have been baited, hooked and roped in for gutting. The thing to do is not play, let it go. I can't stay silent any longer.

I know. But, I 'm having fun. But even I am finally tired of the game.
We're moving on. I'm easy prey on some subjects, but we DO have fun here! Thanks, mk, you're a pal for caring!
Some things just get me going....but as I just said in another thread, time to move on.

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  23:56:29  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, he hasn't. I am stating my opinions and views and lk is stating his there is no baiting here, just friendly disagreement. I do take offence at the accusation of baiting as it's just not true.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  23:58:59  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

The thing is, John, the majority of 'young' bands today only exist because of the 'punk' movement, many of them cite punk/indie bands of the late 70's/early 80's as influences, I have never heard any cite a 'prog' band. I don't expect you read the 'NME', I do, so I see what these young artists are saying.

Personally, I don't care what anyone likes, if it gives you pleasure then that is great, however, I do get so tired with people harping on about The Beatles when there were so many great bands in the 60's, and other eras, that get ignored.

Surely you don't mean me, caryne?!
I don't think any one here ignores all the other great talents of the 60's and on. The Beatles just enjoy their rightful place at the top, with other great 60's artists---Stones, Love, Animals,Yardbirds, Byrds, Kinks, Traffic, Fairport Convention.......

But (to address the influence of 70's punk on today's artists), conversely, the 70's & 80's punk/indie bands would NOT exist if it hadn't been for the 60's garage / punk "originators" and they will gladly admit to it & credit their 60's heroes. As will the 60's early garage/punk artists give homage to their early blues & rock heroes. Everything we have we have from our past and what we choose to make our own, but it is the truly gifted artists, whether it be Picasso, or Beethoven or Arthur Lee or John Lenon or Iggy, (who gladly admit their influences..including the Beatles, Stones, etc.....so you're not giving us "Beatle lovers" anything new to chew on)...... it's those who assimilate their admitted musical inspirations, and are then able make those influences uniquely their own.

I think the Clash are great, and Iggy, and Talking Heads especially are a fave, but much of what we take for granted as punk, glam, grunge and noise rock would not exist if not for The Velvet Underground & Nico....VU & Nico was the "most prophetic album ever made". So it has been written, 70's & 80's music to follow would not exist if not for 60's groundbreakers......all historical accounts point this out....fact....end of discussion. Let's give credit where credit is due. Stones were ground breakers blending raw blues & rock. Beatles blended early rock, folk, rhythm and blues, and classical sensibilities to create music that still influence much of music today. The White album has so many styles it boggles the mind...grunge/punk, noise, folk, rock, metal.

I find much of the punk/grunge/noise/electronic/metal music ever recorded unlistenable, but I'm unaffected, because I DON'T listen to it---- but I don't deny its merits or genius---and I've given it a chance.
Whether it's jealousy or tin ear or intolerance, this hatred for the Beatles is rather unsettling. Hey, let it go, their influence & talent (& fame) is undeniable. So someone doesn't care for the Beatles ...... don't listen to them. They're still extremely talented and immeasurably influential & there's nothing you can do about it. .....all we are saying.....give peace & LoVE a chance.

I totally agree with you that punk of the 70's owes everything to the garage music of the 60's (which I also love) but that is my point. All music (including The Beatles) owes much to that which has gone before, music develops and grows and that is why, to me, it is, and always will be vital and interesting.
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  01:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree, Caryne. The band thats probably affected/ opened my ears the most, Can, although often described by people as making music like no-one else, themselves readily acknowleged their debt to the Velvets and early Floyd - as did Arthur, in the case of the latter.. but what different sounding end results, eh? Everybody's got their roots.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  05:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No, he hasn't. I am stating my opinions and views and lk is stating his there is no baiting here, just friendly disagreement. I do take offence at the accusation of baiting as it's just not true.

Haven't enjoyed music discussions/debates so much in quite a while. Any time, caryne.

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  06:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You people surprise me. You speak as if there might have been bands other than the Byrds. Who knew?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  06:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed the bear

You people surprise me. You speak as if there might have been bands other than the Byrds. Who knew?

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:00:06  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

quote:

Haven't enjoyed music discussions/debates so much in quite a while. Any time, caryne.

Thanks lk, I do take umbrage at being accused of baiting by someone ideas and opinions.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page