Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2008 :  20:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray Collins - the original vocalist for the Mothers of Invention. 'Oh No' (from Weasels Ripped My Flesh) is one of rock's truly operatic moments........on a par with 'Your Mind and We Belong Together'.

Since posting this I have found the following page on him. If you scroll right down you can read some very recent (and very touching) reflections from his niece, Shay Collins.

http://www.united-mutations.com/c/ray_collins.htm

Freak Out and Absolutely Free - did any album ever provide such a shock to the Establishment as those two did?

Edited by - John9 on 19/08/2008 12:21:29
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  17:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Ray Collins - the original vocalist for the Mothers of Invention. 'Oh No' (from Weasels Ripped My Flesh) is one of rock's truly operatic moments........on a par with 'Your Mind and We Belong Together'.

Since posting this I have found the following page on him. If you scroll right down you can read some very recent (and very touching) reflections from his niece, Shay Collins.

http://www.united-mutations.com/c/ray_collins.htm

Freak Out and Absolutely Free - did any album ever provide such a shock to the Establishment as those two did?

Ya!! So good! I used to think that Zappa was the founder of the original band, but it was Ray who asked Frank to join his band when they lost their guitarist. Of course Zappa took over immediately with his vision & made it his band. Still have the first two original LPs....always wished I 'd sent for those freak maps advertised inside.....worth a few hundred now. The third album, We're Only In It For The Money, is my personal favorite too, if only for the cover; though, Freak Out! will always be in my top 10 LPs of all time. What must those orchestra session-guys that were brought in have thought of those musical notes on the charts provided by Zappa!??. Gotta throw that one on the TT...thanks, John9.

Has there ever been such a consistently irreverent, innovative & fun streak of music by a band? '66 - '70, ten Mothers albums....what great music; and Zappa just kept on going--RIP. A true genius. Man I remember riding around in a summer lawn crew truck singing "Who Are The Brain Police?" with a couple other "Freaks". Not the normal musical fare for a 15 year old at the time (1966)! No Herman's Hermits?!

How relevant The Mothers are with the current US administration!
(Gene Clark, "Some Misunderstanding")

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/08/2008 17:49:32
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  19:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh heh I was the one who was listening to Mickie Most's songs....took me awhile to find out about the Mother's!..right Zappa was surely a musical genius...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2008 :  21:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

heh heh I was the one who was listening to Mickie Most's songs....took me awhile to find out about the Mother's!..right Zappa was surely a musical genius...

OK, rocker. I confess singing to "I'm 'enery the eighth I am" (what movie was that where the song was used as torture?)....but wow, Zappa was a revelation!
Do you remember hearing the speeded up version of 'Hey Joe' on We're Only In It For The Money, for the first time? My brother & I laughed till we cried!! Such irreverence!

(Gene Clark, "Some Misunderstanding")

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  05:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just pulled these out & played them...........

Bobby Darin..."If I were A Carpenter" LP..... a truly great entry into the folk genre.

Tim Hardin. Truly a great songwriter.

Phil Ochs

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  10:48:03  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Just pulled these out & played them...........

Bobby Darin..."If I were A Carpenter" LP..... a truly great entry into the folk genre.

Tim Hardin. Truly a great songwriter.

Phil Ochs

You have excellent taste there, I love Bobby Darin and Tim Hardin and Phil Ochs were sublime.

I'm not sure I have favourite male and female singers but I am very fond of Marc Almond (there's so much more than Tainted Love and Soft Cell, it's his 'Torch' songs I adore) and I love Dusty Springfield and Patti Smith (according to mood)

Edited by - caryne on 23/09/2008 10:49:34
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  10:51:35  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tina

Another guy, who Lizzy and I seeing perform live in a couple of weeks, stands out for me - Leonard Cohen. Especially the "I'm your man" album.

Incidentally I'm reading a really interesting book at the moment

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Your-Brain-Music-Understanding/dp/1843547155

The reviews on Amazon are mixed but it makes a lot of sense to me - great music sung by great voices definitely touches parts of my brain that nothing else gets near. My background is much more maths / science orientated than it is artistic - but then they say that great maths is an art (I never got even close to that level!).

Oh yes, Cohen is sublime, saw two shows this year (Edinburgh and Glastonbury Festival) and it was magnificent.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  10:53:10  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Laura Nyro!!! Saw her in '71 just before her 5 year "retirement" at the old age of 24. Eli & The 13th Confession,
New York Tendaberry, Christmas & The Beads Of Sweat.........the holy trinity of her LPs....what a voice, what a songwriter, what an artist.

all o' god's children gotta have their freedom

I adore Laura Nyro but I do recall someone (not a million miles from the 'world of Love'!!) telling me she was bl**dy awful to work with
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  17:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:

Laura Nyro!!! Saw her in '71 just before her 5 year "retirement" at the old age of 24. Eli & The 13th Confession,
New York Tendaberry, Christmas & The Beads Of Sweat.........the holy trinity of her LPs....what a voice, what a songwriter, what an artist.

I adore Laura Nyro but I do recall someone (not a million miles from the 'world of Love'!!) telling me she was bl**dy awful to work with

Hadn't heard that, caryne, but I wouldn't condemn anyone on hearsay......though I don't doubt it. The artists with truly great vision & genius know pretty much what they
want to achieve & sometimes don't take input, good or bad, very well, to put it lightly!

Are you familiar with Steve Forbert? Like you. I can't really pick a favorite artist, I have many that I love. Cohen high among them & Tim Buckley.

Here's a nice mp3 of Steve Forbert's....anyone that doesn't know his work, please give this a
listen....
http://sixeyesmedia.com/music/mp3/SFAoA/steve%20forbert%20-%20goin%27%20down%20to%20laurel.mp3

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/09/2008 18:43:42
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  10:51:54  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by caryne

quote:

Hadn't heard that, caryne, but I wouldn't condemn anyone on hearsay......though I don't doubt it. The artists with truly great vision & genius know pretty much what they
want to achieve & sometimes don't take input, good or bad, very well, to put it lightly!

Are you familiar with Steve Forbert? Like you. I can't really pick a favorite artist, I have many that I love. Cohen high among them & Tim Buckley.

Here's a nice mp3 of Steve Forbert's....anyone that doesn't know his work, please give this a
listen....
http://sixeyesmedia.com/music/mp3/SFAoA/steve%20forbert%20-%20goin%27%20down%20to%20laurel.mp3

Hey, I wasn't condeming, just commenting It wasn't 'hearsay' though but a first hand account.

Never heard of Steve Forbert so just checked his MySpace page and thought it was ok but nothing special. Sorry

Edited by - caryne on 24/09/2008 15:26:43
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  12:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember during the early 1980s when I first became a Laura Nyro devotee, all her albums had been deleted here in the UK for some years. Ironically of course, nearly her entire back catalogue is now readily available. From the time of her difficult reception at Monterey in '67 right up until her posthumously issued recordings, her standards never slipped once - she was ever the consummate professional and would never allow her vision to be in any way compromised. This could well have made her difficult to work with - but then the most gifted talents in music quite often are. I think that her best live albums were those like Spread Your Wings And Fly for which she was entirely on her own.

Edited by - John9 on 24/09/2008 12:25:44
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  16:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's true, I think that Nyro's most intimate moments are her best, j9......just Laura & her piano......
her energy, depth & talent was amazing live. Many of the artist's we LoVE had some control
issues...... for sure , caryne. I had a feeling your info was first hand but we tend to
forgive those great talents their idiosyncrasities.!! Best regards caryne, lk.

That's ok about Steve Forbert, caryne. We all have soft spots for an artist that others just can't get into. I could only find that track online & one song from a 30 year career is a poor way to
be introduced to such a varied artist as Forbert.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 24/09/2008 17:00:36
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  21:54:55  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Al Kooper and Janis Ian

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  15:52:13  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Roy Orbison

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2008 :  16:53:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

Al Kooper and Janis Ian